How do I install Drupal, Apache, Mysql, php ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
colski
Level 1
Level 1

How do I install Drupal, Apache, Mysql, php ?

Post by colski » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi,

I am new to linux/linuxmint.

I have seen a few youtube videos on how to set up Drupal locally and I also need to install apache, mysql and php.

Do I go to each individual external website and download the software from there, or is there something on linux mint already?

I looked under linuxmint.com ---> services ---> software portal and tried to search for this software but could not find anything.

I did come across this

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1022

which talks about this command:

$ sudo apt-get install lamp-server^

So will this work?

How do I know if this software is actually on the linuxmint.com repository if that is what it is called.

It all seems a bit confusing right now. I am trying to move away from windows XP and I am having a hard time getting my head around installing software and particularly the above things I mentioned.

Can anyone help this newbie?

Thanks,
Colski

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How do I install Drupal, Apache, Mysql, php ?

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:52 pm

If it's not in Software Manager...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158
...there's probably something wrong with it.

colski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colski » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:01 pm

Thanks for the reply MA.

However, it doesn't clarify any of the points I raised.

Can anyone assist?

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:36 pm

Drupal7 is in the repo. Open the terminal and enter

Code: Select all

sudo apt install -s drupal7
which is a simulated installation - nothing really happens, but you should see that most of what you're looking for/need will be installed.

To do it for real remove the -s

sudo apt install drupal7
To search for other packages if you need them

apt search packagename
To view information about a package

apt show packagename
ImageImage

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:16 pm

I was aiming at this one...''having a hard time getting my head around installing software''...which will sort out the others.

colski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by colski » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 am

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to find this vid on youtube and by following along I now have it installed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpyEEW6No8

I have little idea if it is the right way or not. All I know is it seems to work.

(Feels like I am walking along a sandy path between lots of quicksand. Windows is probably the same, but you don't seem to notice the quicksand at all.)

Cheers.

twooten15
Level 1
Level 1

Post by twooten15 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:22 am

If you are wanting to do Drupal development on Mint I recommend using Xampp for Linux. Over the last 4 or 5 years I've used all sorts of methods for Drupal development, local install of LAMP stack, VirtualBox, Xampp, etc. and have found Xampp to be the easiest to manage.

The most difficult part for me was figuring out how to configure things so that I can have multiple Drupal websites on my system instead of just one. I've got it sorted out and working really well now. Let me know if you want me to send you my little tutorial + the extra scripts I use.

Tim

lch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lch » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:54 am

I am afraid you will think nobody could be so green, but I I am on linux mint 13 with mate desktop, and installed drupal 7.12-lubuntu0.1 successfully. But where is the intro-splash screen or something? The Menu has no links to anything drpal-like. which drupal says there is not command line way to start it. The Youtube videos about drupal start with assuming the new user is at the intro splash screen. this drupal installation came with apache2. common. AM I supposed to go to http://127.0.0;1 or something? Where IS it. Thanks.

What is Xampp? can I get it to sit on top of mint or is it an alternative to mint?

Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:51 pm

I was able to install LAMP on my Mint 17.1 Cinnamon machine following directions found here.
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

Return to “Software & Applications”