Whatsapp web not working in Mint Chromium... (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guillefar

Whatsapp web not working in Mint Chromium... (SOLVED)

Post by guillefar »

...but it works in Arch's.

A while ago Whatsapp announced a web interface for its messenger (https://web.whatsapp.com/). When I accessed to it in Chromium, it told me it only worked with Chrome at the moment. Silly, since it should work in Chromium too being both almost the same, but whatever. Now, it was surprising that the web interface actually worked with Opera (while also using Blink as render engine, you will guess it is further from Chrome than Chromium). But what I was not expecting, is that the interface works with at least Arch's chromium. At the moment I though it could have to do with Arch using a newer version of Chromium (both were at 39.something, but Arch's had a higher version).

But I just upgraded mint and now the 40 is installed, and Whatsapp still doesn't work, it doesn't recognize Chromium as Chrome, or as using the blink engine, or it might have to do with other thing, but it is quite annoying.

For the record, I use Chromium in my daily work, I choose it because I prefer open source, and I have it configured with many addons that I need. So for me is not as easy to switch browsers, specially because I use Chrome to do some tests, that requires it to be without addons.

Anyway, my guess is that it should be something easy to fix, any ideas?

Cheers.
Last edited by guillefar on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
guillefar

Re: Whatsapp web not working in Mint Chromium...

Post by guillefar »

Well, I solved myself.
The problem is that the web interface for whatsapp doesn't recognize the user agent of Chromium as blink compatible, it seems. But if you add an extension like user-agent switcher https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dake?hl=en), and add a new user agent with this data:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.95 Safari/537.36
You will finally be able to access the interface.

Cheers.
liberace
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Whatsapp web not working in Mint Chromium... (SOLVED)

Post by liberace »

I tried the solution in previous post. I installed the switch user agens and added the new agent. But I cant install the whatsapp deb in the terminal. I get this message:

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of whatsapp-webapp:
whatsapp-webapp depends on google-chrome-stable | google-chrome | google-chrome-unstable; however:
Package google-chrome-stable is not installed.
Package google-chrome is not installed.
Package google-chrome-unstable is not installed.

What to do ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Whatsapp web not working in Mint Chromium... (SOLVED)

Post by Moem »

liberace wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:57 pm I tried the solution in previous post.
That post is three years old. Things have changed a lot. Please open a new topic for your question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”