Showfoto closes when editing. SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Showfoto closes when editing. SOLVED

Post by grizwald »

When using showfoto to edit a picture, the program closes abruptly.
Some of the menu headers are missing on the top of the screen.
I have re-installed the program several times with the same result.drops out too.
When cropping a picture, the result cannot be saved, program Any clues welcome.
G.

ASUS Laptop X551M Mint 17.1 64bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Showfoto closes when editing.

Post by richyrich »

When you installed, did you install the recommended plugins also? (right-click on showfoto in Synaptic)
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Hi Filthyrich [we all wish].

Yes, I believe I had all the extra programs 'ticked' when the program was installed. In addition, we examined the properties and checked the list of programs installed with another laptop where the program does work correctly and found the list to be indentical [worse luck - we were hoping for an easy fix...].
G.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Okay, if you've got digikam, dolphin, the kipi-plugins, and about 30-40 additional KDE dependent files and libraries installed, the oxygen-icon-theme, and the KDE files mentioned in the Mint 17.1 Release Notes, we won't worry about that. You can try starting the program from the terminal to see if the terminal will show us any errors ?

Code: Select all

showfoto
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Thanks F.R. for your interest, very much appreciated. Could you give me the exact command to enter in the terminal please, I have no expertise in this area. Thanks again.
G.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Code: Select all

showfoto
. . is the command to use in the terminal.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Thank You, will run it later today and give you the results.
Cheers,
Sam.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Hi again F.R.
What a fascinating experiment.... I ran Terminal as suggested and was provided with a list of info - shown below.

lesley@lesley-X551MA ~ $ showfoto
showfoto(2306)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

showfoto(2306) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap specified.
showfoto(2306) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap specified.
showfoto(2306) KXMLGUIClient::loadStandardsXmlFile: ui/ui_standards.rc not found in ("/home/lesley/.kde/share/config/", "/etc/kde4/", "/usr/share/kde4/config/")
showfoto(2306): No ksycoca4 database available!

showfoto(2306)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Digikam/ImagePlugin" not found

Then I installed Showfoto for the first time in another computer [which didn't work either] and ran it in Terminal too. Here is that list...

Surprise surprise, the list is the same!!!

sam17-1@sam171-305E4A-305E5A-305E7A ~ $ showfoto
showfoto(22566)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen" not found!

showfoto(22566) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap specified.
showfoto(22566) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap specified.
showfoto(22566) KXMLGUIClient::loadStandardsXmlFile: ui/ui_standards.rc not found in ("/home/sam17-1/.kde/share/config/", "/etc/kde4/", "/usr/share/kde4/config/")
showfoto(22566): No ksycoca4 database available!

showfoto(22566)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers: KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "Digikam/ImagePlugin" not found

Could one suggest the program 'repository' is corrupt/incomplete?
Next question is "Who do we tell about this"?

G.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Good timing, just logged on. Guess you must have missed my previous post about installing the oxygen-icon-theme and the kipi-plugins

You should realize that you are trying to run an app made for the KDE desktop on another desktop. These files come standard in the KDE edition, but not in any others, this is why you have to install all the dependency files and libraries, and plugins, and icons, etc, etc.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Hmmm, yes, must have glossed over those pearls of wisdom... :oops:

Next question... Is there an easy way to overcome this - list of files/terminal instructions etc? Never had this problem in previous installations so someone must have "fixed" an already perfectly working system. Sorry to ask but I'm out of my depth here...

G.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Ah Ha!!!

Had a snoop and came across this gem for the Terminal.. "sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins" and the suggestion to install the oxygen themes as you too had advised. The Synaptic Package Manager provided the installation link for this so I used it too. End result being that Showfoto now works perfectly when I re-installed it after performing the above.

Maybe there is a more 'graceful' method available but this got me out of trouble.

Thank you indeed richyrich [sorry about getting the name wrong before] for all your trouble. You certainly pointed me in the right direction for which I am very grateful.

Cheers,
G.

Return to “Software & Applications”