Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VirtualBox Error

Post by gibbs1984 »

Fred wrote:gibbs1984,

Did you try recompiling the kernel module as suggested in the error pop-up?

In a terminal type:

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Fred
Hi,

First off, apologies for my very late response to this thread that I started (been a very busy time at work and Linux was the last thing on my mind).

I've tried running the command in the Terminal as suggested and get the same error message as matthewflint:

steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
[sudo] password for steve:
* Usage: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv {start|stop|restart|status}
steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
* No suitable module for running kernel found.
steve@steve-desktop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
* No suitable module for running kernel found.
steve@steve-desktop ~ $

I've tried the other solutions in this thread but nothing seems to work, I'm assuming by what it's said is that no kernel module is installed? How do I go about installing it?

My sequence of events is pretty similar to others as well:

I'm running Linux Mint 6 Felicia - Main Edition.
Downloaded VirtualBox 2.0.4 from mintInstall (didn't download anything else, should I have?).
Entered all the information in VirtualBox by following a tutorial, everything is fine until I press Start so that I can install Windows Vista (I have a legitimate copy of Vista on disc) and this is when I get this error.

Hopefully you can help.

Steve
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

For some reason the virtualbox-ose-modules package is not in the repo's anymore. I think this might be the root of the vboxdrv errors.

Fred's advice works:
Well... I prefer to use the non-free version of Vbox. First, I think the program is more polished and it supports usb. Also that package includes the kernel module and appropriate guest add-ons. I don't have to worry if a minor revision kernel update doesn't have the appropriate kernel module available yet, which sometimes happens and appears to be the case here, though I haven't cross checked you on that.

If you have no objections to running non-free software I would suggest you put the below repo line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file. You must use < gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list > in a terminal to edit this file.

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free

Then in a terminal do an:

apt-get update

and

apt-get -u install virtualbox-2.1

It will probably ask if you want to uninstall the ose version, I don't remember, but if it does answer yes. You will probably get a warning about the key but you can ignore this for the time being and go ahead and install.

This should fix your problem. As I said, I like this version better anyway.

Fred

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

I tried that just now as you suggested and got the following error after putting in apt-get update:

W: GPG error: http://download.virtualbox.org intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY DCF9F87B6DFBCBAE
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

I didn't want to carry on with the other bits as this error might have a knock on effect.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Here is how the last few lines of my sources.list looks. See how your compares. You can just cut and paste and replace your other repositories down, it might help?

## ------------------
## OTHER REPOSITORIES
## ------------------

## +++ Canonical (stable) +++
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ intrepid partner

## +++ Medibuntu (stable) +++
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I had the "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free" line at the end so moved it to below the Canonical section to mirror what yours is like, saved and exited, ran apt-get update again but the error still appeared, do I need to restart?

## ------------------
## OTHER REPOSITORIES
## ------------------

## +++ Canonical (stable) +++
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ intrepid partner

## +++ Medibuntu (stable) +++
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I find when I screw up my system, I just pop in the CD and do a reinstall. Just do not format the partition, set partition to root and use the same name and password, and import documents and settings for linux mint when it asks. Your system will be like new, all your data will be in the home folder, you will have to re download any apt apps you installed. and rerun all the commands to install VM. It takes alot less time then looking for answers online. Of course it is all at your own risk, but it worked for me.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

This will get rid of that key error, run in terminal

Code: Select all

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-instal ... heron.html

EDIT: and there is absolutely no need to reinstall at this point.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I've reinstalled a few times now and even re-downloaded the .iso but it never seems to work.

There must be a way to just re-install all these missing files?

Oops, should refresh before posting, thanks proxima_centauri that worked perfectly, I no longer get an error message.

I'll try the rest of that suggestion and see how I get on.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

I just tested the method (using Virtualbox in Mint which is running in Virtualbox on Arch :o ) and it works.
Let us know if there's any more difficulties.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Just done everything you've said and now I've just logged in to Windows Vista for the first time through VirtualBox, thanks a lot everyone for your help with this, it's greatly appreciated :)

This might be what I need to move further towards leaving Windows and use Linux Mint predominately :evil:

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Me again, don't worry, VirtualBox works, (well 99% anyway), one thing though, when I click on the menu and click Full Screen mode it opens the VirtualBox in Full Screen but the Windows section just stays as a small box like in normal mode, is there a way to change this?

It's not a massive problem but I would like to be able to use it in Full Screen mode.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

Me again, don't worry, VirtualBox works, (well 99% anyway), one thing though, when I click on the menu and click Full Screen mode it opens the VirtualBox in Full Screen but the Windows section just stays as a small box like in normal mode, is there a way to change this?

It's not a massive problem but I would like to be able to use it in Full Screen mode.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Hi,

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

You need to install guest additions
when your running the machine, go to the top menu, Devices, Install guest additions,
this will mount the required setup files on your windows machine, it might autorun, if not go to my computer and it's mounted as a CD.
After you restart you'll find you have mouse integration (don't have to hit Ctrl to go back and forth from machine to linux), you can resize whatever you want, and you can use the seamless mode to use linux and windows at the same time.
cheers

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

proxima_centauri wrote:You need to install guest additions
when your running the machine, go to the top menu, Devices, Install guest additions,
this will mount the required setup files on your windows machine, it might autorun, if not go to my computer and it's mounted as a CD.
After you restart you'll find you have mouse integration (don't have to hit Ctrl to go back and forth from machine to linux), you can resize whatever you want, and you can use the seamless mode to use linux and windows at the same time.
cheers
Are, you're a diamond, thanks very much.

Actually made my wireless connection work as well :D

PS. Sorry for the triple post, something obviously went wrong there.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

In the VirtualBox (which I'm running Vista) do I have to have a Firewall and Anti Virus like normal?

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

I would imagine so. Your virtualdrive in my opinion would still be subject to viruses, but I can not confirm that. Doesn't hurt to install avast or something.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Yes your virtual machine is subject to the same gremlins that you would encounter if it were installed directly to the hard drive. The only exception to this is that Vbox allows you to turn off access to various resources that may be bad for Windows, ie the internet.

There is another big advantage also. You can make a snapshot of your current, known clean system. If your Windows gets corrupted or infected just shut it down and reload the snapshot. This is a big plus for me. I recently acquired a, (legal), copy of XP that I need from time to time to test things on. I don't run any protection on it, mainly because I don't want to slow the system down. I always load it back up from the snapshot. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Fred wrote: I don't run any protection on it, mainly because I don't want to slow the system down. I always load it back up from the snapshot. :-)

Fred
Yeah, that's why I asked, to be honest there's not much need for me to run the Internet in VirtualBox as I can just run it through Mint, if I do need to then I think I'll use the snapshot thingy and take my chances :)

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

I'm trying to run a game through VirtualBox (that's not the reason I need VirtualBox but it's a low graphics game) and I get an error message after installing and trying to run the game:

Something about a security module, I click on the link and it suggests closing SoftIce, anyone know what it is?

www.securom.com/message.asp?m=module&c=3000

Return to “Software & Applications”