Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Joel Paz
Level 1
Level 1

how to download pictures from a nikon camera

Post by Joel Paz »

Hello friends,
I'm the newbie that has Linuxmint 17 installed in his computer as ONLY operating system. Recently I have been considering the use of a Nikon D3200 camera but the software (NX-2) for transferreing the pictures to the computer is downloadable only to windows and mac. I like the idea of using this camera but how could I tranfer the pictures to the computer if possible? There's a usb cable and a usb card reader avaible for the camera.
My best,
Joel

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to download pictures from a nikon camera

Post by Fornhamfred »

You should just be able to connect the usb cable to the camera and computer and Mint will show the camera in the file manager as an external drive. Then just open the file and copy and paste the photos. Alternatively Mint will probably ask you to open the file with whatever appropriate software you have installed.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

I plug my camera into the usb, connect it to the usb on the computer, set my camera wheel to "view/transfer", then turn the camera on. I will see a popup that my camera is connected and see it as a removable drive in the file manager. I can copy/move/delete, etc. and the file manager has a "disconnect" button, to safely remove . . you should hook up first, set the camera to communicate mode, then turn it on, and check your file manager.

Joel Paz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joel Paz »

Fornhanfred and Rickyrich, thank you very much for your instructions. I had an idea it could be done because Mint has never let me down!!!!!! :D

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mike acker »

there are a number of excellent programs for camera buffs,--

GTHUMB: basic/default photo viewer

GWENVIEW : excellent browser/viewer. can do basic edits: resize; crop; move; copy; rename. can link to GIMP for advanced image editing

DARKTABLE : good for unloading your camera; organizing images; processing RAW images. bit of a learning curve.

the main thing I feel is missing in DARKTABLE is the ability to pull images off the camera by date,-- e.g. "I just want today's images". If you pull images off the camera using your file manager it's easy to select the date range that you want to import .

However: DARKTABLE is a non-destructive editor: if you adjust things badly you can just reset back to original and try again. So, after you have pulled and filed your images you can clear the SD chip(s) in your camera.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

As others have said just connect the camera to the usb port and it should be treated just like and external drive allowing you copy pics to your machine.
Then use the graphic program of your choice to edit and print the photos. I use both gimp and digikam Darktable is good also.
good luck ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Software & Applications”