Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NSA_Dontspyoneme
Level 2
Level 2

Is bleachbit safe to run?

Post by NSA_Dontspyoneme »

I have run it on other linux systems and they were buggy. I am wondering if maybe it did some damage? Or is it safe?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is bleachbit safe to run?

Post by jimallyn »

Several people have posted here on the forums that Bleachbit trashed their system. I wouldn't use it, but YMMV.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've used it with no ill effects on both Mint and LMDE---however, I'm starting to lean away from it. I think it might remove logs that I need kept.
My call? Don't use it.

BTW: Welcome to Mint!
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Don't use it. It's unsafe. There's a considerable risk of system damage.

If you feel the need to clean, do it safely like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

And if that still leaves you with a cleaning wish, maybe you can help your wife with vacuum cleaning or something.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I've used it and never had an issue: if you don't shred files, then on Linux it is possible to recover such deleted files..
--shredding is permanent (at least for the normal user)

--it's not just bleachbit that some posters have an argument with, it is the general "the user must know" idea or else you could be at risk.
  • Again if one is careful and pays attention, these issues shouldn't dissuade you from using such programs, as long as you are "the user who knows" or won't be destroyed if a problem develops
    --for which you could be thankful as it would be a learning experience..
http://bleachbit.sourceforge.net/forum/ ... ow-safe-it
http://www.linux.org/threads/freeing-drive-space.7371/
  • Another option is to “Wipe Free Space”. This option will take all the unused space on the drive and write blank data on it. By doing this, any files which have previously been deleted will be “Shredded”.
--that could be considered one of the dangerous parts of bleachbit, but I don't use that option, and it slows down the program in any case..
--you decide, I personally don't have much of an issue with its' operations..

You just have to watch the folders and applications it is cleaning to be sure you get what it will do (delete files it finds..)
  • Even as the user not root bleachbit launch, it has some errors with perms for system folders, that is fairly to be expected, as the user does not have write permissions on most system folders /etc and so on..

OH, I forgot to say YUP !...
I think it is perfectly safe to run, with the above issues considered.
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GeneC »

Been using it 'daily' for over five years on this triple (or sometimes quad) boot box with no ill effects. You do have to use some caution when using it as root, and never interrupt the "Free disk Space" option until its finished. It can take a LONG time. Actually its function is to wipe disk space clean. I seldom use it, and when I do I let it run...

These are options I use daily.

(Localizations alone can save you many hundreds of MB's of disk space, be careful to select the language(s) you DO want to keep).. :wink:

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

If you do not use the "slow options", BleachBit is safe to use. My computes have never crashed after using BleachBit .. :wink:

mzs112000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mzs112000 »

I use bleachbit, and I have never had any issues.
IF I have helped you/solved a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/reg/v ... rId=943129
https://www.lds.org

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

NSA_Dontspyoneme wrote:I have run it on other linux systems and they were buggy.
With the question in the topic's title you must only wait enough time until you get a majority of answers, which you like more. I mean, the result is nothing, what will give you a really reliable answer. It is only a collection of - rather coincidental - opinions, statistically not relevant.

You would get further, if you would describe what you did and what was buggy. Nobody here can tell, if those "they were buggy" has to do anything with bleachbit at all.

Another question is, why you did that, what you did, with bleachbit and if there would not be another solution (probably build-in in Mint) or if it was useful / advisable / necessary at all.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Cosmo. wrote:if it was useful / advisable / necessary at all.
That is the heart of the matter.... Linux hardly pollutes at all, so I *really* can't see why so many people are wanting to clean Linux.... Except for inherited bad old Windows habits. :shock:

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Pjotr wrote:Except for inherited bad old Windows habits.
I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad habit from Windows. Rather, it's being pragmatic. Take a close look at the Bleachbit options that are commonly [safely] used. You can actually do the very same things yourself. Sure you can clear the caches of multiple programs, histories from different apps, MRUs, old logs, and so on. You might say that because you can do these things yourself, then Bleachbit is unecessary.

But then again, you will have to do all these things M-A-N-U-A-L-L-Y. And that takes time. I'd rather not hunt and peck as that wastes my productivity especially when there's an existing tool that does it for me efficiently.
Pjotr wrote:Linux hardly pollutes at all, so I *really* can't see why so many people are wanting to clean Linux
Don't be so sure about that. My post from a Bleachbit thread in 2014:
Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:...it cleared out over 500 MB of cruft that I accumulated the past several months. Most of what it removed were thumbnails and cache data. If I included the trash bin, it would have ballooned up to 5+ GB. I also ran BleachBit as root and that removed an additional 500+ MB, most of which are old log files, the apt cache, and several bits of backup files that are no longer needed.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

@Pilosopong Tasyo: I see your point, and indeed my statement was rather oversimplified. :)

So hereby a more balanced view:

It's really very easy to clean Linux yourself (partially manually and partially semi-automatically), as I've written on this web page:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/4

This should cost you only about 15 minutes the first time, and about 5 minutes each consecutive time (monthly?).

The big advantage is, that then you know *exactly* what you're removing, and you don't have to rely on some cleaning application doing all kinds of things behind your back. With the risk that you inadvertently enabled a dangerous setting in the cleaning application, or with the risk that some bug in the cleaning application does nasty things to your system....

So my advise to *inexperienced* Linux users is, to avoid Bleachbit. Advanced Linux users (like you and I) won't easily get into trouble, not even in the danger zone. And when advanced users do get into trouble, they can help themselves...

Return to “Software & Applications”