CPU & fan over usage + cpufreq & cpufreq-utils

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blacknail

CPU & fan over usage + cpufreq & cpufreq-utils

Post by blacknail »

Hi all,

1) Since unexpectedly in the last week my laptop started to look like it is about to explode (at least @ Mint) - almost always the fan is in total usage (which is very audible, by the way :|), I decided to look if the CPU is being over used too. And in fact is strange because only with Firefox opened I get more than 50% CPU usage (sometimes 60%-70%), and with more 2 or 3 programs opened (Emesene, Deluge & Bluefish) I get almost 100%.

2) So I installed cpu-freq to control the clock rate of the CPU (and cpufreq-utils to control it graphically). I added it to the Mint panel but now when I try to select 600 Mhz in it (my CPU is a Pentium M so the CPU Monitor it has 2 options - 600 and 1700 Mhz) it simply does not stick and the 1700Mhz option continues selected.

So I am asking if somehow anyone knows why it only started fanning this way only a week ago ( what I described in 1) - 'top' says npviewer.bin and Xorg are the most CPU demanding processes - ok, I have a Youtube video opened in Firefox but I think that does not explain what is happening) and how can I make the 600 Mhz option usable in the CPU Monitor I added to Mint bar - described in 2).

I'm only asking this because I'm afraid my laptop is about to 'die' and now I feel somehow embarrassed because my PC is clearly audible in all the classes and everyone looks at me, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner :S Also sometimes it stops charging the battery and I think it must be because all the power is being consumed by the CPU.

Thanks in advance,
João
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hepburn

Re: CPU & fan over usage + cpufreq & cpufreq-utils

Post by Hepburn »

I've got the same problem - from what I've read there's a bug with Flash/Firefox.
I don't really know what a proper solution would be, but for the moment I've rolled back to Flash Player 9, which I found here: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... &sliceId=2.
It's reduced the CPU usage to about 5-10%, even with lots of windows open, and stopped my laptop over-heating all the time! Npviewer.bin has also disappeared.
I did upgrade Firefox to the current version in Synaptic (3.0.3) as well, but I don't know if this really changed anything.

If anyone has any better ideas.... :)

Hepburn
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

Thanks Hepburn []

I've tried to roll back to flash player 9 like you said but after I installed it, about:plugins @ Firefox said I've got the 2 versions of flash player installed & enabled, do you know how I can remove flash player 10? Meanwhile I decided to uninstall Firefox, now I'll try to install version 3.0.4 but I still have to figure out how to roll back to flash player 9.

Thanks again for all the support,
João
Hepburn

Post by Hepburn »

Ooops! Forgot to mention that... :oops:

To get rid of the original Flash, uninstall flashplugin-nonfree in Synaptic (also check that you don't have adobe-flashplugin installed, either). If this doesn't solve the problem, you may also have to uninstall then reinstall Flash 9 too.

I upgraded Firefox using Synaptic (firefox-3.0). Although this is version 3.0.3, not the latest 3.0.4, I don't think there's much difference between the two. Plus, using Synaptic does make it a lot easier to install/uninstall/upgrade, and from what I gather things are less likely to go wrong.

Firefox 3.0.4 doesn't have a .deb package at the moment, but if you really want the latest version from the Mozilla website, it's here: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/

and the installation instructions are here:
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Ins ... x+on+Linux

Hope this works for you! :)

Hepburn
blacknail

Post by blacknail »

It worked, thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”