OK, how can I restrict something to root:root?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
commandrix

"permissions on the install folder are not correct?"

Post by commandrix »

OK, little background story, I've about given up on WINE due to difficulties installing programs and now I'm trying VirtualBox. And of course nothing runs smoothly the first time, so attempting to run my first virtual box gave me this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_SUPLIB_WORLD_WRITABLE).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
All that the people on the VirtualBox support forum told me was, "Your permissions on the install folder are not correct." Can anyone tell me what that's supposed to mean and how I can fix that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: "permissions on the install folder are not correct?"

Post by exploder »

Check to see if your user account is in the Virtualbox group in users and groups, something like that. Take a look, it should be pretty self explanatory once you see what's there. I do not have Virtualbox installed right now....
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

Moderately helpful, right now I'm figuring out what permissions I'll need to add and I just figured out an error message I was having with the Qt. Any pointers would be helpful.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am almost certain that all you need to do is add your user to the vbox group.
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

Yeah...The instructions say to use the "usermod" command to do that. But maybe I'm missing something?

usermod -a -G vboxusers heidi
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

That should have worked. When I used the command "getent group vboxusers," I get this output: vboxusers:x:124:heidi so I take it I added my account to the vboxusers group. So why isn't it working?
commandrix

OK, how can I restrict something to root:root?

Post by commandrix »

OK, I'm still going back and forth with the VirtualBox people about that error code I've been getting (even though it should have been solved by now), added my user account to the appropriate group and am still getting the same error code. Now what I'm getting from VirtualBox is:
Its not so much that you do not have permission it is the location that has too lenient of permission. The location is open to the world and not restricted to root:root which it should be.
Does that make sense to anybody and, if so, how can I make sure the location (of what, exactly?) is restricted to root:root?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Did you also get - ?
"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing
'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1198060
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

I didn't get anything about a kernel error, but I can try that anyway. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do about this "root:root" thing the Virtualbox people are talking about.
kukamuumuka

Re: OK, how can I restrict something to root:root?

Post by kukamuumuka »

commandrix wrote: Does that make sense to anybody and, if so, how can I make sure the location (of what, exactly?) is restricted to root:root?

sudo chmod 770 /somelocation
sudo chown root:root -R /somelocation
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

OK, that makes sense. Right now I'm just trying not to jack myself up (somebody in another forum told me that I could nark my whole OS by doing this wrong).
commandrix

If I can get VirtualBox to work, I'll shut up. Promise.

Post by commandrix »

OK, so I added my user account to the appropriate group, did the root:root thing, did the chmod 770 thing, and now I'm getting this error when I try to run VirtualBox:

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedVerifyDir: Cannot trust the directory "/usr/lib/virtualbox": group and/or other writable (st_mode=040770)
Can somebody help?
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

OK, tried that, and now I'm getting this error:

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedVerifyDir: Cannot trust the directory "/usr/lib/virtualbox": group and/or other writable (st_mode=040770)
What can be done?
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

Okay, I tried it and got this:

Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 302: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
 ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox pci kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox netadp kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox netflt kernel module ...done.
Removing old VirtualBox kernel module ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 327: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: not found
 ...failed!
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
And the vbox-install.log says this:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: 334: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: /usr/share/virtualbox/src/vboxhost/build_in_tmp: not found
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Many years ago the following codes would have been used to get VirtualBox up and running:

To resolve the permission issue:

sudo usermod -G vboxusers -a heidi
To resolve the driver issue:

sudo chmod 666 /dev/vboxdrv
and

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
In the year 2015, installation of VirtualBox has been greatly simplified. Go to the Oracle VirtualBox website and download the Linux version appropriate for your architecture (i386 or AMD64) and your distribution. Since it downloads as a .deb file all that is required is to double click the file and it will install. Everything else is automatic except for the installation of the Guest Additions after installing an operating system and the further downloading of the VirtualBox Extension Pack to make VirtualBox fully functional.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”