[SOLVED] Caja not showing video thumbnails

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
helloimustbegoing

[SOLVED] Caja not showing video thumbnails

Post by helloimustbegoing »

I just switched from Thunar to Caja. Thumbnails for video files isn't working. How do I get thumbnails for videos in Caja? It worked in Thunar.

[Seems like solving one problem only causes another.]
Last edited by helloimustbegoing on Sat May 09, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Caja not showing video thumbnails

Post by all41 »

In Caja--Edit/Preferences/Preview. Set as you would like
Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
helloimustbegoing

Still not working. (Or I don't know what I'm doing - that's always a possibility.)

Another thing (maybe it's related?), in the Media tab, for "DVD video" it says "No application found" even though I have both Banshee and SMPlayer installed.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

I set to always show thumbnails, and for files less than 4gb. This can be slow to display on remote folders with a large number of videos though.
Also the thumbnails only show in the icon view.
For the default dvd video action you may have to select "open with other application" and add the player you prefer.
Default for a fresh install shows Videos (Totem) and VLC as player choices, you have to add Banshee and Sm Player.
helloimustbegoing

Read this on another forum. Installing Totem player solved this issue. Something about codecs. But all my videos play in SMPlayer, so SMPlayer has all the necessary codecs. I guess Caja doesn't know where to look for SMPlayer player's codecs :?:

Not a great fix as Totem seems to be a bit buggy (at least on my system) and its GUI eats up more space than SMPlayer, that could be used for the videos' picture. I'll just keep both players -- Totem so I can have thumbnails (very important to me), and SMPlayer to actually play media files.

I'd still appreciate anyone explaining how to get thumbnails without having to have Totem installed, if possible.

Also, after installing Totem, in Caja's File Management Preferences, Media tab, DVD video, it recognized Totem, but still not SMPlayer. But I was able to set DVDs to open with SMPlayer by clicking 'Open with other Application,' and browsing to SMPlayer. I couldn't do this as it was grayed out, until after I installed Totem.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Code: Select all

Totem player solved this issue
Was Totem not installed when installing 17.1 XFCE?
It generally shows as "Videos" in the menu.
Have you tried the VLC player? (also included in 17.1 XFCE)
helloimustbegoing

Yes, it was installed. I uninstalled it a while ago it because I didn't like it. I guess I have to keep it now. I also don't like VLC. I tried it out a long time ago in Windows and didn't like it then and don't like it now. I uninstalled that also from Mint. (I wish MPC-BE was available for Linux.)

Any ideas about why Totem is needed for thumbnails in Caja? It's weird since Totem wasn't necessary for Thunar to display thumbnails.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

I just removed Totem from XFCE using Synaptic and Caja behavior was unchanged.
Thumbs still there. If you used Synaptic package manager to remove Totem and VLC you
can look in the File/History to see what packages were actually removed, and when.
helloimustbegoing

I removed them using Software Manager. I wasn't aware of Synaptic until reading your last post. Opened it up and it seems a bit too complicated for me.

Return to “Software & Applications”