Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Using DATA partition for Thunderbird and Firefox [Solved]

Post by Newmint17 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:01 pm

I have a DATA partition to share information between two versions of Mint. I am wondering whether it is possible to set up (for example) Thunderbird and Firefox so that they can be accessed by both distributions? If so, could someone please provide some instructions? One (MATE 17) already has Thunderbird and Firefox set up and working: the other (Xfce 17.1) has them installed but not set up.

Assuming the answer is 'yes', how far is it possible to go with this if I have a NTFS partition? Could I include my Windows 7 folders, and if so, how?

Thank you.
Last edited by Newmint17 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Using DATA partition for Thunderbird and Firefox

Post by Distro-Don » Mon May 25, 2015 3:48 pm

This is what is in my Data file. As you can see, I don't include all hidden files, only the ones that have data that's needed.
Screenshot.png
Here is how I use it on all of my Linux installations:
#! /bin/bash
# ezup.sh (Don Weiman's Program to easily setup a new installation my way)
sudo aptitude update # Update all repositories.
sudo aptitude -y safe-upgrade # Safely upgrade system.
sudo locale-gen --purge –no-archive # Generate Locale languages files.
sudo aptitude -y install deborphan dolphin gftp gnome-schedule gparted numlockx nfs-kernel-server nfs4-acl-tools
sudo rsync -Cav /archives/Moneydance /opt # rsync (copy) Moneydance to /opt.
sudo rsync -Cav /archives/trim /etc/cron.daily # Set trim to be run daily.
sudo mv .mozilla DeleteMe # Remove .mozilla to allow my version to be linked.
sudo rmdir * # Remove directories to allow my versions to be linked.
sudo ln -s /archives/Data/* /home/don/ # Link directories to my home dir.
sudo ln -s /archives/Data/.* /home/don/ # Link hidden directories to my home dir.
sudo chown -R don:don /home/don # Set ownership of all /home/don files to me.
sudo orphaner # Remove all orphaned files.
gnome-schedule # Arrange for Data backups.

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am stuck.

I have managed to get Thunderbird in MATE to run correctly with Thunderbird now in /mnt/DATA/thunderbird. This means that all my existing correspondence and addresses are intact. The problem I have is with TB in Xfce which is unused but which has its own profile.ini file. I have tried editing the file to show the path to /mnt/DATA/thunderbird but I am getting the dreaded message that my profile is inaccessible. So, my question is - how do I point TB in Xfce to use the same profile.ini?

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Wed May 27, 2015 4:23 pm

So the Xfce profiles.ini has

Code: Select all

IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DATA/thunderbird
and you still can't access the data?

How are these installs set up? Separate partitions, logging in with different user names? Do the UIDs match? Can you access any other data on /mnt/DATA from Xfce?

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Wed May 27, 2015 6:34 pm

I am wondering whether it is possible to set up (for example) Thunderbird and Firefox so that they can be accessed by both distributions?
My 3 or 4 linuxes all use the same version of FF, same add-ons, same bookmarks, etc.

I do it with

$ ls -l ~/.moz*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 username username 17 Mar 19 08:10 .mozilla -> /mnt/WINE/mozilla
$ ls /mnt/WINE/mozilla
extensions  firefox  firefox.last-version
$ ls -l `which firefox`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 41 Apr 10 12:15 /usr/bin/firefox -> /mnt/WINE/firefox-install/firefox/firefox
/mnt/WINE/mozilla contains the FF user data normally in ~/.mozilla
(Edit: copy the original profile to the new location, delete the original, then make it a link to the new location:
$ mkdir /mnt/WINE/mozilla
$ cp -r ~/.mozilla/* /mnt/WINE/mozilla/.
$ rm -r ~/.mozilla
$ ln -s /mnt/WINE/mozilla ~/.mozilla)

/mnt/WINE/firefox-install/ contains the FF install from ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/
though you could just copy/move that from the normal installation.

To make a link like /usr/bin/firefox
$ sudo rm -r /usr/bin/firefox (IIRC, this was originally just a link to the actual program in /usr/lib/firefox)
$ sudo ln -s /mnt/WINE/firefox-install/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Edit:
I have tried editing the file to show the path to /mnt/DATA/thunderbird but I am getting the dreaded message that my profile is inaccessible.
Much easier to just use links (ln -s real-file-name link-name).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 am

grizzler and Flemur - thank you for your replies.

I think I must be doing something stupid somewhere. This is the current state of my files.

[Edit: I no longer receive the error message but I am taken to a Thunderbird set-up screen for adding e-mail accounts, etc. I don't want this - how to I get to my existing setup?]

The first installation on this computer was of MATE 17 and this 'version' of Thunderbird is still working.

Under /home/gam/.thunderbird there are 2 folders (Crash Reports and fxt2xnnw.default) and profiles.ini. This latter contains:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=fxt2xnnw.default

Under /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird there are more folders and files. Profile.ini (not Profiles.ini)

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default

I later installed Xfce with a dual boot. Under Xfce have the same username and I can access other data on /mnt/DATA. [Edit - Thunderbird has not been set up - no accounts, etc]

On Xfce, there is an empty folder /.thunderbird/

/home/gam/.thunderbird holds two folders (Crash Reports and fd3w9ik6.default) and profiles.ini:

[General}
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird/ (trying to follow grizzler's question)

/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird/

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default

I hope the above will enable you to find where I went wrong and to advise me what to do to rectify the situation.

Flemur - I have put your posting to one side for further study.

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Fri May 29, 2015 8:22 am

If this:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=fxt2xnnw.default
is the contents of the profiles.ini on your MATE install, then the directory /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird (or is it /mnt/DATA/thunderbird, i.e. without the dot? please don't confuse things further by using a different name now!) is NOT used. The IsRelative=1 setting tells Thunderbird to look at the path mentioned, relative to the directory profiles.ini is in.

You need IsRelative=0 and the full (and correct!) path in the Path= setting. Make sure this is correctly set on both installs (and do that while Thunderbird is not running, or the sqlite databases may get messed up when you restart).

To summarise, on both installs, make sure there is a file called /home/gam/.thunderbird/profiles.ini, which contains:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DATA/thunderbird
This is assuming gam is your username and the directory with the Thunderbird files and directories is /mnt/DATA/thunderbird.

There should NOT be a fxt2xnnw.default directory in this setup, unless you have the actual files and directories a level deeper, in which case profiles.ini should be:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=0
Path=/mnt/DATA/thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default
If this causes error messages that your profile is inaccessible, you may have an ownership/permissions problem. Please answer the question about the UIDs I asked earlier.

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 am

Thank you for your further help. Two questions for you as I work through your posting:

1. Will your proposals give me a system in which my existing data is available under both MATE and Xfce? I am worried that if I do not refer to fxt2xnnw.default I might lose it.
2. I do not follow your strictures about /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird and /mnt/DATA/thunderbird. Could you please show me where in my last posting (where I posted the current state of my files) I have used /mnt/DATA/thunderbird?

I can confirm that the UUID is identical.

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Well, I seem to have solved the problem. I can run Thunderbird under Xfce and I have my accounts, etc.

I am unable to explain why it works except that encouraged by grizzlers example I arrived at the following:-

In MATE, I found that changing the IsRelative setting in /home/gam/.thunderbird to 0 resulted in no Thunderbird. It is, therefore, set to 1. Path=fxt2xnnw.default.
Again in MATE, the /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird has IsRelative=0 and Path=/mnt/DATA/thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default.

Moving on to Xfce, the /home/gam/thunderbird settings are IsRelative=1 and Path=fxt2xnnw.default. [Edit - I did copy the file fxt2xnnw.default from MATE to Xfce]
The /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird has IsRelative=0 and Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbrd/fxt2xnnw.default.

Thanks to grizzler, Flemur and Distro-Don for their help, much appreciated.

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Newmint17 wrote:Could you please show me where in my last posting (where I posted the current state of my files) I have used /mnt/DATA/thunderbird?
You haven't. I was referring to your use of /mnt/DATA/thunderbird in earlier postings and then switching to /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird in later ones. That doesn't make it clear what it actually is that you are using.
I can confirm that the UUID is identical.
I was referring to the UIDs not UUIDs, but never mind, so seem to have got it working, although I'm not clear how, because the setting described here:
In MATE, I found that changing the IsRelative setting in /home/gam/.thunderbird to 0 resulted in no Thunderbird. It is, therefore, set to 1. Path=fxt2xnnw.default.
Again in MATE, the /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird has IsRelative=0 and Path=/mnt/DATA/thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default.

Moving on to Xfce, the /home/gam/thunderbird settings are IsRelative=1 and Path=fxt2xnnw.default.
The /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird has IsRelative=0 and Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbrd/fxt2xnnw.default.
really doesn't make sense to me, if only because there isn't supposed to be anything containing IsRelative or Path in /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird. Whatever you have there containing that, doesn't do anything. That simply isn't how thunderbird works. It only looks at the file /home/username/.thunderbird/profiles.ini to determine where its data is and only expects to find data files and directories there, not another profiles.ini file.

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Thank you again.

I 'm interested in your comments about /mnt/DATA/.thunderbird. What should it contain?

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm

That depends on how you've transferred the data. If you've simply copied/moved the directory named fxt2xnnw.default, then that is all it should contain.
In that case the file /home/gam/.thunderbird/profiles.ini should have a line Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird/fxt2xnnw.default, because that is the directory that contains the data. I would also expect an IsRelative=0 line, because /mnt/DATA/...etc. is not relative to /home/gam/.thunderbird but an absolute path.

If however you copied/moved only the contents of fxt2xnnw.default, then naturally only that should be there. The file /home/gam/.thunderbird/profiles.ini should just have Path=/mnt/DATA/.thunderbird then (this is actually similar to the setup I have here on my own machine - I use /data/thunderbird).

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:21 am

grizzler,

For the benefit of anyone following this topic, I confirm that I copied/moved the directory named fxt2xnnw.default.

Got there in the end!

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sun May 31, 2015 11:24 am

You're making it much too difficult.

If you just copy the ~/.whatever (= .thunderbird or .mozilla) directory to /mnt/DATA/name-doesnt-matter, and make

~/.whatever -link-to-> /mnt/DATA/name-doesnt-matter

you're done. (!)

LIKE THIS:

mkdir /mnt/WINE/mozilla
cp -r ~/.mozilla/* /mnt/WINE/mozilla/.
rm -r ~/.mozilla
ln -s /mnt/WINE/mozilla ~/.mozilla
DONE! Start firefox! (change "WINE" to "DATA", or whatever you're using).

You don't have to fool around with any .ini files, profiles, .desktop files or anything else, though it sounds like you might have those all hosed up now....

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 am

Flemur,

As promised, I am now working on your suggestions and so far, so good. I have followed your instructions in your post of May 31 and for my MATE installation, all is OK.

Now (for me) the tricky bit - please bear with me if the answer is very simple!: I want to install the same program on Xfce. This program is not yet installed. My thinking is that when I download and install it it will come with its own set of files (Profiles.ini, etc). I think I must somehow by-pass these so that the installation will look at the files previously installed under MATE. So what should I do? And how does it work?

I hope you can understand my (no doubt incorrect) reasoning.

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Can anyone help, please? The answer is probably very simple... like how do you find and install the appropriate command?

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:21 am

I want to install the same program on Xfce. This program is not yet installed. My thinking is that when I download and install it it will come with its own set of files (Profiles.ini, etc).
Those (~/.mozilla) get created when the program is first run - if they don't already exist. If they already exist it'll use what's there.
The installer doesn't put anything in user directories (rightfully so, since perhaps some users won't use the program).

So just make the links first, then run the program:

ln -s /to/the/mate/profile ~/.mozilla
firefox
Then firefox will be using the profile that the link points to.

I don't use (or like) thunderbird, but I think it profile is in ~/.thunderbird (tho it'd make sense if it were under ./mozilla since it's a mozilla product and there's a ~/.mozilla/firefox directory).

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you again for your reply and continued interest.

I will now try to retype my post - got to the end and discovered (not for the first time) that I was no longer logged in.

I am afraid that I am still struggling.

Just to clarify, I have Thunderbird running under both Mate and Xfce (using the other method). I am now trying to get Pale Moon (a fork of Firefox) running under Xfce (it runs under Mate).

I think my problem is with the interpretation of your command 'ln -s /to/the/mate/profile ~/.mozilla

When I enter ln -s /mnt/DATA/moonchild productions /home/gam/.moonchild productions(Enter) and then enter palemoon (Enter) I receive the message 'palemoon: command not found'.

The profile.ini file for Pale Moon is in /moonchild productions/pale moon. Should I enter this at both sides of the equation?

Does the entry:
[/path/to] palemoon -p /path/to/profile mean anything to you?

I'm very sorry, but I am still baffled.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 pm

ln -s /mnt/DATA/moonchild productions /home/gam/.moonchild productions(Enter)
Blanks in filenames. That's evil. No error messages? When I type it I get
ln: target ‘productions’ is not a directory
(I have a /mnt/DATA directory, too).

Put quotes around both part because of the pesky blanks:

ln -s "/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions" "/home/gam/.moonchild productions"
and then enter
palemoon (Enter)
'palemoon: command not found'.
What means you don't have palemoon installed, or not in your path. It shouldn't have anything to do with the profile, which it'll create if it's absent.

Try

which palemoon
locate palemoon
How about showing the output of:

ls -al /mnt/DATA/

Newmint17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newmint17 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:16 am

Thank you again!

Yes, I found out (the hard way) about spaces in file names.

Below, the output of the first two commands.

gam@gam-1000H ~ $ which "pale moon"
gam@gam-1000H ~ $ locate "pale moon"
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/pale moon
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/profiles.ini
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/.parentlock
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/blocklist.xml
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/cert8.db
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/compatibility.ini
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/content-prefs.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/cookies.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/downloads.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/extensions.ini
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/extensions.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/formhistory.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/key3.db
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/localstore.rdf
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/marionette.log
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/mimeTypes.rdf
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/permissions.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/places.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/pluginreg.dat
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/prefs.js
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/search.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/secmod.db
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/sessionstore.bak
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/sessionstore.js
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/signons.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/times.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/urlclassifierkey3.txt
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/weave
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/webapps
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/webappsstore.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-16.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-17.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-18.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-19.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-20.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-05-21.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-06-01.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-06-02.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-06-08.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-06-11.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/bookmarkbackups/bookmarks-2015-06-13.json
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB/chrome
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB/chrome/.metadata
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB/chrome/idb
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB/chrome/idb/2588645841ssegtnti
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/indexedDB/chrome/idb/2588645841ssegtnti.sqlite
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/weave/changes
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/weave/failed
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/weave/toFetch
/mnt/DATA/moonchild productions/pale moon/rdc2mmbz.default/webapps/webapps.json
gam@gam-1000H ~ $ 

And now the output of the ls command:-

gam@gam-1000H ~ $ ls -al /mnt/DATA/
total 3781
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root    8192 Jun  2 14:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    4096 May 19 11:04 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root    1375 May 27 19:40 abook.mab
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  524288 May 27 19:40 blist.sqlite
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   88181 May 27 19:39 blocklist.xml
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root    4096 May 27 19:40 Cache
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root       0 May 27 19:39 cache2
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root       1 May 27 20:05 _CACHE_CLEAN_
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   65536 May 27 20:05 cert8.db
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root     159 May 27 19:41 compatibility.ini
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root  524288 May 27 19:40 cookies.sqlite
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root       0 May 27 20:03 crashes
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root    4096 Jun 11 12:25 Desktop
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root       2 May 27 20:02 directoryTree.json