[SOLVED] How to get Atril to open maximized

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
helloimustbegoing

[SOLVED] How to get Atril to open maximized

Post by helloimustbegoing »

When I launch programs from the desktop icon, I prefer them to open with a maximized window. I can't get Atril to open maximized. Any ideas?
Last edited by helloimustbegoing on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to get Atril to open maximized

Post by xenopeek »

You can install devilspie2 to set rules for windows, like always maximize the main window of Atril when it starts. You need to script the rules but it's not that hard. The manual has various examples, including maximizing a window based on the application name: http://www.gusnan.se/devilspie2/manual.php

MATE doesn't otherwise have a feature to set rules for windows. You can create a custom launcher for Atril, that runs a shell script using wmctrl or xdotool to maximize the window after starting Atril. But devilspie2 will be easier and more flexible. KDE has built in options for setting rules for windows.
helloimustbegoing

Thanks for the suggestion xenopeek, but I've never worked with scripts before. I'll just live with Atril not opening maximized.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

How hard do you think it is from the examples?

Code: Select all

if (get_application_name()=="Atril") then
   maximize();
end
I Know Nothing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by I Know Nothing »

If you start it by clicking on whatever file you want to open in it you can make it start maximised and indeed at whatever page of the document you were last on because it appears to store the settings for individual files. So I put a location launcher for whatever pdf book I'm reading on the desktop.
helloimustbegoing

xenopeek wrote:
How hard do you think it is from the examples?
The example on the link was three scripts in one file. I did not know that. I though it was one script, which seemed very long and confusing to me (which was my point in that I have zero experience in scripts :oops: ). Now that I have seen the script that I specifically need (thanks btw) it does seem somewhat easy. Marked "SOLVED."

Return to “Software & Applications”