[SOLVED] Is there a office package that can nail PDFs?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
commandrix

[SOLVED] Is there a office package that can nail PDFs?

Post by commandrix »

So far the ones I've tried are:

LibreOffice
WPS Office
Google Docs
KOffice

And I keep running into problems. KOffice doesn't like PowerPoint presentations, Google Docs doesn't like to convert to PDF, and WPS Office and LibreOffice strip out the links when I try to export a presentation to PDF. Can anybody recommend some good, preferably free software package that can really nail the PDF? Without boring you with the details (work-related), it's kinda important that the links stay there when I export a presentation to PDF.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
helloimustbegoing

Re: Can someone recommend an office package that can nail PD

Post by helloimustbegoing »

Are you sure LibreOffice doesn't work? I tried exporting to pdf, and when it opened automatically in LibreOffice Draw, the link didn't work. But when I opened the same pdf in my default pdf reader, the link did work.
vortex59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vortex59 »

Try Master PDF editor:

http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-edito ... x&ver=2215

It seems to be quite complete.
"A scientist is someone whose curiosity survives education's assaults on it". Sir Hermann Bondi
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

helloimustbegoing wrote:Are you sure LibreOffice doesn't work? I tried exporting to pdf, and when it opened automatically in LibreOffice Draw, the link didn't work. But when I opened the same pdf in my default pdf reader, the link did work.
PDF links are not working in my default PDF reader. And LibreOffice support staff kinda blew me off when I filed a bug report. This is getting kinda bad considering I can do most anything for my new job except get the PDFs to work.
vortex59 wrote:Try Master PDF editor:

http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-edito ... x&ver=2215

It seems to be quite complete.
That looks sweet, but is it gonna work for (re-)adding the links to the PDF? PDFs are pretty notorious for being uneditable.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi commandrix,

As user vortex59 already suggested, the free "Master PDF Editor" is a great PDF program.

I also use and have "evince", okular", etc... installed. They are both probably in your "repositories like the Software Manager and or SPM (Synaptic Package Manager). You can also enable thumbnails of PDF files in your file manager after installing these and some thumbnailers from the repositories as well...

Evince info
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince

Okular Info
https://okular.kde.org/
======================================================================================================
No pdf Thumbs in LM17 ((SOLVED)) Attachment(s)
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=174028

Thumbnails not displaying (Solved)
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=187522

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

Unfortunately none of those is the solution I'm looking for. An ideal situation for me would be for the links to stick when I'm actually exporting the PDF. Failing that, I need to be able to add the links to the appropriate text in the PDF.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

commandrix wrote:Unfortunately none of those is the solution I'm looking for. An ideal situation for me would be for the links to stick when I'm actually exporting the PDF. Failing that, I need to be able to add the links to the appropriate text in the PDF.
Hi commandrix,

Forgot to mention, that installing "cups-pdf" printer driver is a must from the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM); with this, you can print any file to a PDF file, including their web links.

Maybe we are not fully understanding you. Perhaps if you gave us an exact sample of what you are trying to do, then we could help you better. How about providing a sample document. What are you exporting the PDF too?

Most of the programs mentioned in these posts, including LibreOffice, can save as or export documents and their web links to PDF and other formats. Of course, if they are already PDF, you just save them as is.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

OK, so what I want to do is turn this file (<==is a link) into a PDF document. With links. According to WPS Presentation (what I've been using to get this far), the links are there but it can't export those links to PDF. According to LibreOffice, there are no links and, no matter how many times I add the links in LibreOffice, it won't save links in the presentation and, therefore, there's nothing to really export. So maybe it's a problem with the links.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

commandrix wrote:OK, so what I want to do is turn this file (<==is a link) into a PDF document. With links. According to WPS Presentation (what I've been using to get this far), the links are there but it can't export those links to PDF. According to LibreOffice, there are no links and, no matter how many times I add the links in LibreOffice, it won't save links in the presentation and, therefore, there's nothing to really export. So maybe it's a problem with the links.
Okay, now that we have a better understanding of what you are trying to do. I downloaded the WPS presentation (.ppt) file from the link that you provided. I brought it up in numerous programs, including LibreOffice Impress. But, as you pointed out, none of the programs showed any hyperlinks that I could find. I have never used "WPS Office" before. All the programs brought up the graphics easily enough.

Obviously, this is not even close to a typical scenario for handling PDF files.

Found a working easy solution using LibreOffice Impress: :D

1. Bring up the presentation (.ppt) file in LibreOffice Impress (presentation) either by opening LibreOffice Impress and opening the file, or using your file manager and right clicking the file and opening with LibreOffice Impress.

2. Select the various slides and their components that should have hyperlinks to webpages (obviously one at a time).
example:
Slide 5,
- click near the border of the "read full article" box to select it,
- then right click inside that box,
- select "Interaction", the Interaction screen will come up,
- Change "Action at mouse click" to "go to Document",
- On that same screen in the "Document Box" put in your hyperlink, web url, web address, like http:www.gohere.com

*** Now change any other items on any slides that require hyperlinks the same way ***

3. Click save as, and save the presentation document as an Open Document presentation file .odp;
* these procedures might might work if you save as MS Powerpoint 2007- 2013 XML ".pptx" file as well.

4. then, Click "File", "Export as PDF", and the export to pdf screen will appear.
- on the "General" Tab, make sure export Bookmarks is checked, I also checked view PDF after export.
- on the "Initial View" Tab, make sure Bookmarks and page is checked
FYI: I thought I might have to change something on the Links Tab, but I did not.
- Click "Export"

Linux Mint already has a default PDF viewer which varies depending on which edition you use. You can make your Linux Mint system use any of the PDF programs as your default, the current program or Evince, Okular, Master PDF, etc..

My system PDF defaults to "okular" at the moment, which came right up; with Okular I had to select "view", then "presentation" (Ctrl-Shift-P) and then the PDF ran like it was supposed to and the links worked.

When I used "Evince" to view the PDF, I did not have to select anything, it just came right up and worked - links and all.

If you need further help with this, you may email, or pm, me using the icons to the right of this post...

That was interesting ...
commandrix

Re: [SOLVED] Is there a office package that can nail PDFs?

Post by commandrix »

That did it. Thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”