Re: Any Gimp gurus here? Gimp is stuck..

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Phylly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phylly » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:57 pm

Hey are there any Gimp gurus out there? I have the latest version of LinuxMint, 17.1, my GIMP Image Editor is stuck and I can't do anything with it/change any images, though I used it only 3 or 4 days ago. I have done the latest updates to my system, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to get GIMP unstuck?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Phylly,

I. You might try making sure that your system is okay, by rebooting into "recovery mode", selecting disk check (file system check. Then go into your Linux Mint.

II. Make sure that your update manager and software repositories, like Software Manager are okay too and that no software dependencies are lacking, by typing in from your console terminal prompt each line one by one or copying and pasting each line below:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get install --yes --force-yes -f

III. Then retry Gimp. If you still have a problem, then go into your Synaptic Package Manager, search for Gimp, and right click all "Gimp" related programs and Gimp plug-ins, and select re-install, then hit "apply", when finished, exit the SPM, reboot, restart your computer, and retry Gimp again and you should be okay.

Hope this helps...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:22 pm

If a piece of software suddenly starts misbehaving under your account, it's usually a configuration file problem. To verify, create and login to a new temporary account (or login to a guest account, if it's available). This will ensure a clean environment. Run the software and if it works fine, you may have just pinpointed the culprit. Log back into your main account and rename the hidden configuration file to something else and re-run the software. This will create a fresh default configuration file. Delete the old configuration and you're set.

For GIMP 2.8, its configuration is stored in your home folder, under the name .gimp-2.8. Open your file browser and set it to show all hidden files.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Phylly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phylly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 pm

No, sorry. Neither of these ideas is helping. I guess I'm just going to have to take it back where I bought it from (they put Linux on for me) and let them take care of it. Thanks for trying to help.

Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 pm

What exactly does "stuck" mean? Is GIMP opening but not able to save or export? Or....? I like puzzles, but one needs a few pieces to put together :wink: Anyhowl, if you want a nest of GIMP gurus, go to GimpChat http://gimpchat.com/
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

Phylly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phylly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Yeah, I guess I should have been more explanatory -- -- I can go into Gimp and open an .xcf image, but that's it. I can't make any changes, of any sort. But when I try, to say change a color in an area, and nothing happens, I give up and close, getting a window asking if I want to save the changes. Hope this better explanation helps.

Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 pm

Does this happen in a new image, or just one you've opened?

Whenever I've found I can't edit anything in GIMP it's usually due to be doing some sort of selection in the image which I forgot about - try Ctrl-Shift-a to deselect everything.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:03 am

going a little further again:
if you open say, a JPEG can you then try, to say change a color in an area ?.

- is the error still there ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:02 am

Phylly wrote:I can't make any changes, of any sort. But when I try, to say change a color in an area, and nothing happens, I give up and close, getting a window asking if I want to save the changes.
If gimp asks you to save changes, that obviously you have changed anything, probably not what you expected. The question is, how you did the changes, in this case how you did exactly proceed to change the color of an area. :?:
If you simply make a stroke with the pencil: Does it appear?
Matera wrote:I like puzzles, but one needs a few pieces to put together
I really like this. :D Hope you don't mind, when I reuse it on another place.

Phylly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phylly » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:59 am

Pierre wrote:going a little further again:
if you open say, a JPEG can you then try, to say change a color in an area ?.

- is the error still there ?.
Hello. Thanks for asking; no, opening a JPEG doesn't do any good either. If I do, it will open fine, but no changes are made, even when GIMP was working fine.

Phylly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phylly » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Ranthe wrote:Does this happen in a new image, or just one you've opened?

Whenever I've found I can't edit anything in GIMP it's usually due to be doing some sort of selection in the image which I forgot about - try Ctrl-Shift-a to deselect everything.
Hello Ranthe, Finally got to try Ctrl-Shift-a, but it didn't help, so apparently there are no selections I forgot about. As to which image, I am (or was) working on a project, the image for which I got on-line, then altered it to fit the shape and size I needed. I got as far as the shape of the image, and getting rid of some of the white background before GIMP stopped working/became stuck. In trying to pinpoint the problem, I have opened new images, and the one I'm trying to work on; regardless, whatever changes I try to make, nothing happens to the image, say for instance, changing the white background, or trying to darken the main part of the image.

Return to “Software & Applications”