Can someone recommend a video editor that works with MP4s?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
commandrix
Level 2
Level 2

Can someone recommend a video editor that works with MP4s?

Post by commandrix » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:12 pm

The two I've tried so far are avidmux (which refused to open the file I want to work with in any kind of usable form) and Flowblade (WTH would a video editor not recognize the MP4s exist?). Can somebody suggest a good free one that can 1) extract a sound file from a video and 2) help me splice that sound file into another MP4? Thanks...
Immediate goal: Get past Round 2 of the Mars One Selections. http://ablogaboutnothinginparticular.com/

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Can someone recommend a video editor that works with MP4

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 pm

What exactly do you mean by "refused to open the file I want to work with in any kind of usable form"? Be specific. Did these editors open the files at all or not?

The version of avidemux that's in the repos will recognize most any mp4 files I've tried. But mp4 is just a container which can contain many formats. And that's the important part.

You should install mediainfo-gui to actually see what's there.

Avidemux from the repos won't edit h.264 video very well. I haven't used flowblade. But I know it's harder to find a decent x.264 video editor.

To edit the audio from a video file you can actually open the file with audacity, which is an audio editor. Then you can export the audio stream as a separate file and do whatever. Then import that into the video editor.

commandrix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by commandrix » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:What exactly do you mean by "refused to open the file I want to work with in any kind of usable form"? Be specific. Did these editors open the files at all or not?

The version of avidemux that's in the repos will recognize most any mp4 files I've tried. But mp4 is just a container which can contain many formats. And that's the important part.

You should install mediainfo-gui to actually see what's there.

Avidemux from the repos won't edit h.264 video very well. I haven't used flowblade. But I know it's harder to find a decent x.264 video editor.

To edit the audio from a video file you can actually open the file with audacity, which is an audio editor. Then you can export the audio stream as a separate file and do whatever. Then import that into the video editor.
What I meant was that when I tried to open the MP4, it gave me a line about being able to process the audio and then just gave me a blank green screen where the video should have been. Sorry if I was unclear.
Immediate goal: Get past Round 2 of the Mars One Selections. http://ablogaboutnothinginparticular.com/

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Then you can export the audio stream as a separate file and do whatever. Then import that into the video editor.
You can
avidemux -> audio -> save = save audio track in original format.
Edit the file (e.g. audacity), then
avidemux -> audio -> main track -> source -> external mp3/ac3/wav file = replace original track
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

commandrix
Level 2
Level 2

Post by commandrix » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:15 pm

Flemur wrote:
Then you can export the audio stream as a separate file and do whatever. Then import that into the video editor.
You can
avidemux -> audio -> save = save audio track in original format.
Edit the file (e.g. audacity), then
avidemux -> audio -> main track -> source -> external mp3/ac3/wav file = replace original track
Unhelpful if I can't get avidemux to even open the file in a way that makes sense. What I'm looking for is a video editor that will actually work here.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:49 pm

openshot? only ever used it for basic stuff but always worked ok for me

supermasami3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by supermasami3 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:20 pm

Blender's video editor may or may not be overkill depending how intense you are looking to get with those files. I've reliably used it in the past for resyncing the audio of some H.264 encoded videos.

ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm

http://www.online-convert.com/

You can use that site to convert videos, sound files and other things to different formats. It will even extract sound from videos for you (use audio converter for that).
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302

Return to “Software & Applications”