Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Virtualbox on USB detection [Solved]

Post by thom_A »

Been googling a lot about this topic. And I've found lots about it. I apologize for starting another one. I've tried some of the basic solutions and many of them are too complicated for a noob like me to grasp. Some haven't had the problem and still provided guesses that are useless. I'm hoping that those that have been on the same shoes could provide simple step-by-step instructions on how to make it work.

Here's the thing. When I run it on the terminal: sudo virtualbox, everything works. But when I launch its icon in the menu, there's no USB detected like scanner, external drives, flash drives, nothing. It's not even showing the machines I've added in the sudo virtualbox launch. Nothing. The icon launch just completely ignored what I've already added in the sudo launch.

I'd be happy to just leave it and start it in the terminal, but some people say it's not safe, not to mention typing all that, then password, every time.

Thanks in advance for any reply. I'll be moving on and leave the way it works if I fail to figure this out.

PS.. I decided to add Virtualbox in my Linux Mint system because there are still Windows apps that I still can't give up. This is not playtime or something. I'm seriously transitioning to Linux Mint, albeit in a gradual fashion.
Last edited by thom_A on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Virtualbox on USB detection

Post by Cosmo. »

Your fault is this: sudo virtualbox.

At first, I don't know any reason to run virtualbox at all with root-privileges.
At second: Never - I repeat: never(!) - run a graphical program via sudo (supposed it is really needed), but only via gksudo or kdesudo (this depends from the desktop environment of your system).

Let us find out, what you have. Open a terminal and enter both commands:

Code: Select all

ls -la ~/.config/VirtualBox
ls -la ~/VirtualBox VMs
Paste the result here. Please enclose this with code-tags: Mark the pasted output here in the editor and click on Code-button at the top of the editor.
Furthermore enter this command:

sudo ls /root
and paste the output.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Here are the results on my terminal (I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce):

total 100
drwx------ 2 hener hener 4096 Jul 10 14:55 .
drwxr-xr-x 28 hener hener 4096 Jul 10 14:47 ..
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1184 Jul 9 21:19 compreg.dat
-rw------- 1 hener hener 2466 Jul 10 14:55 selectorwindow.log
-rw------- 1 hener hener 2466 Jul 10 04:27 selectorwindow.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 hener hener 2606 Jul 9 21:19 vbox-ssl-cacertificate.crt
-rw------- 1 hener hener 6308 Jul 10 20:01 VBoxSVC.log
-rw------- 1 hener hener 6308 Jul 10 04:27 VBoxSVC.log.1
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1810 Jul 10 04:26 VBoxSVC.log.2
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1810 Jul 10 04:25 VBoxSVC.log.3
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1810 Jul 10 04:20 VBoxSVC.log.4
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1811 Jul 10 01:42 VBoxSVC.log.5
-rw------- 1 hener hener 9156 Jul 9 21:23 VBoxSVC.log.6
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1491 Jul 10 14:55 VirtualBox.xml
-rw------- 1 hener hener 1631 Jul 10 14:54 VirtualBox.xml-prev
-rw------- 1 hener hener 24549 Jul 9 21:19 xpti.dat

ls -la ~/VirtualBox VMs
ls: cannot access /home/hener/VirtualBox: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access VMs: No such file or directory

sudo ls /root
VirtualBox VMs

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The good news is:
The output for the first command looks good.
End of the good news.

Open a terminal and enter:

mkdir VBtemp
sudo cp -R "/root/VirtualBox VMs" temp
Open the VB manager
Open via menu file -> global settings
in the general settings click the drop-down-arrow for the first option and select reset
Close the dialog with OK.

Open your file manager and copy(!!! do not move!!!) the content of the just to temp copied VMs into the folder VirtualBox VMs inside your home.
Normally the folder VirtualBox VMs gets automatically created. If this does not happen for you, create it manually but be absolutely precise with the folder name, especially when it goes about capitalized / non capitalized letters.

Now you have to add every guest system to your VB management. You find the command in the VirtualBox manager machine-menu.

Be prepared that this will take - depending from the number and size of your guests - very long time.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Cosmo. wrote:The good news is:
The output for the first command looks good.
End of the good news.

Open a terminal and enter:

mkdir VBtemp
sudo cp -R "/root/VirtualBox VMs" temp
Open the VB manager
Open via menu file -> global settings
in the general settings click the drop-down-arrow for the first option and select reset
Close the dialog with OK.
Bad news is I got lost what you meant here. So I simply launched the Oracle VM Virtualbox icon from the Settings category in the start Menu, which is exactly what I wanted in the first place. You won't find the Global settings unless you add a machine by clicking the New icon, then type your Windows, other OS, etc.

Good news is my USB's are now showing in the USB category when you add a filter!
Your first two lines of codes did it! It worked! You're a genius!

Thanks!

I'll be back when something goes wrong. (I have some errands to run and accomplish household chores.) ;)
This is all been experimental to me for the past months using an old computer. So whatever goes wrong, I'll just restore the whole partitions using Paragon, or reinstall Linux Mint. I have Cinnamon and Xfce in separate partitions alongside Win 7.

I'm not going to add "Solved" here just yet. Things might come up...

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

I knew things would come up. We have two other PCs in this household and I've added Cinnamon, Mint 17.2 in both. Virtualbox have slightly different settings as I've found and so the solution I've made in the first PC didn't solve the issue. I obviously need different solutions here. I seem to be dyslexic when it comes to figuring out codes typed in the terminal. If you could please help me sort this out.

Differences I saw are as follows:

2nd PC (Mint 17.2, Cinnamon)

sudo ls /root
Desktop

3rd PC (Mint 17.2, Cinnamon)

sudo ls /root
Desktop VirtualBox VMs

The first PC as seen in the first portions of this thread that no longer have any issue had

sudo ls /root
VirtualBox VMs

And this had Mint 17.1, Xfce in it.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

As far as you provided information the second PC looks good, the third has the same problem as the first one.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

The solution you provided in the first PC didn't work in both. I need to figure out the mechanics here. Why Virtualbox installs differently in maybe different flavors of Mint, or PC, whatever. I either install it from the Software Manager or Synaptics. When the "virtualbox" doesn't seem to work installed from the Software Manager, I install the "virtualbox 4.3.2" from the Synaptics... I don't know.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The flavor of Mint on the host does not matter, but the version of VB does.
VB 4.3.2 is a very outdated version, the current version is 4.3.28. (There is also a brand-new version 5.0, but I discourage to use it at now, as from experience brand new major versions of VB have nearly always some bugs.)

So you should at first update VB with the same version on all machines.
After that we have to check, where the error exist. For this we need the result of all terminal-commands I had provided.
But do this only at first for the second machine, otherwise the risk of a misunderstanding or user-error is to great.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

Like I've mentioned in other threads, I've been dabbling with Linux for the past several years, spend 1-2 days twice a year just to see what's going on. This time I decided to go for it, albeit experimentally for the past several weeks, and I've had mostly positive user experiences trying out apps like Inkscape, Gimp, Office and most importantly, Blender. In time I'll eventually switch full blast (on Mint, specifically as I have no time for other distros. It's too time consuming and confusing. Better to stick with one that works and have relatively easier access to solutions for every issue. I could see that mint is being crowded by lots of people, and that's good. Nice development usually happens where huge crowds gather... But enough of my drama. ;-) Point was if something happens, no problem. This is all been experimental. (People need to learn the art of backing up partitions and restoring them in their original state.)

2nd PC Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon

total 196
drwx------ 2 gener gener 4096 Jul 12 05:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 gener gener 4096 Jul 7 23:40 ..
-rw------- 1 gener gener 1237 Jul 8 00:19 compreg.dat
-rw------- 1 gener gener 2039 Jul 12 05:18 selectorwindow.log
-rw------- 1 gener gener 1777 Jul 12 05:13 selectorwindow.log.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 gener gener 2606 Jul 8 00:19 vbox-ssl-cacertificate.crt
-rw------- 1 gener gener 5326 Jul 12 05:19 VBoxSVC.log
-rw------- 1 gener gener 16986 Jul 12 05:13 VBoxSVC.log.1
-rw------- 1 gener gener 3599 Jul 12 04:51 VBoxSVC.log.2
-rw------- 1 gener gener 4947 Jul 12 04:42 VBoxSVC.log.3
-rw------- 1 gener gener 3217 Jul 12 04:42 VBoxSVC.log.4
-rw------- 1 gener gener 4947 Jul 12 04:39 VBoxSVC.log.5
-rw------- 1 gener gener 57824 Jul 8 01:59 VBoxSVC.log.6
-rw------- 1 gener gener 6813 Jul 8 00:33 VBoxSVC.log.7
-rw------- 1 gener gener 8991 Jul 8 00:13 VBoxSVC.log.8
-rw------- 1 gener gener 1522 Jul 7 23:42 VBoxSVC.log.9
-rw------- 1 gener gener 1801 Jul 12 05:19 VirtualBox.xml
-rw------- 1 gener gener 1702 Jul 12 05:19 VirtualBox.xml-prev
-rw------- 1 gener gener 24549 Jul 8 00:19 xpti.dat

ls -la ~/VirtualBox VMs
ls: cannot access /home/gener/VirtualBox: No such file or directory
ls: cannot access VMs: No such file or directory

sudo ls /root
Desktop

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Is USB still an issue here?

I always install VBox from Oracle not though the Mint repositories so maybe Minst installs things differently but ..........

Run the following command:

VBoxManage list usbhost
Don't do it as sudo, Do it as your regular user.

If you get something that looks like this:
Host USB Devices:

<none>
It's probably because you are not a member of the vboxusers group. So add yourself to it:

sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers
Then Logout and log in again. Then run the command again:

VBoxManage list usbhost
You should see your usb devices listed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

altair4 wrote:Is USB still an issue here?

I always install VBox from Oracle not though the Mint repositories so maybe Minst installs things differently but ..........
I have to wonder why they're still available in the repositories. I visited the Oracle site and Virtualbox is now on version 5. I would assume that's the one I need to install.

I need to take time here and digest gradually the info you posted here. I'm also in the Xfce station and find time to work on the other PC's later. But this is all appreciated.

I might do some uninstalling, etc, or start from scratch. It should be ideal to be able to do the same thing on any PC without having these problems and know what to do. :)

I prefer to fix the existing issues at this point.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You did not write, what version of VB you actually use. It should be 4.3.28. I warn to use 5.0 at this time; the discussion on the VB-forum about the new release seems to confirm old experiences. As altair4 I install directly from Oracle, but as far as I can see version 4.3.28 is also available via repositories.

Regarding machine 2: It seems as if there are no virtual machines at all. Consequently the repair method for machine 1 is not applicable here.

You may proceed with machine 3.

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

altair4 wrote:Is USB still an issue here?

Run the following command:

VBoxManage list usbhost
Don't do it as sudo, Do it as your regular user.

If you get something that looks like this:
Host USB Devices:

<none>
It's probably because you are not a member of the vboxusers group. So add yourself to it:

sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers
Then Logout and log in again. Then run the command again:

VBoxManage list usbhost
You should see your usb devices listed.
I must close this thread by mentioning that this solved my issue in our other PC. So I have to assume that it will work in other PC's. I didn't feel the need to fix the other PC as it's not really needed. Thing is, I find myself not needing to use those Win apps and I've basically been using Mint 90% of the time. Anyways, thanks guys for the help. It's good to know I can always use Win7 apps within Mint.

BTW, I checked the version that I had installed from the Synaptic Package Manager. It says from the VB Help menu, 4.3.28. Don't know if that even has anything to do with it. :)

Bear in mind (for new users) that this is only about USB not being detected. You may encounter other problems like local drives not registering, having to add extension packs, etc. You're going to have to search the net for those. They're there. :)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Virtualbox on USB detection [Solved]

Post by Cosmo. »

Just for completeness: The current version of 4.3 is now 4.3.30; downloadable from Oracle.

Return to “Software & Applications”