Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

LM KDE -> Cinnamon

Post by jgagnon »

I have LM KDE 17.1 installed and love it (been using LM KDE for many years). I'd like to give Cinnamon another shot since the last time I did was version 15 and I know a lot has changed.

Is it at all a reasonable idea to have both Cinnamon and KDE available on my system? Can I just install the Cinnamon packages and expect any sort of success or is it much more complicated than that? Installing to a VM might be a smarter choice but I'm strongly considering a permanent move from KDE to Cinnamon (at least until the next full reinstall of my system).

Has anyone out there tried this and would you like to share any words of wisdom?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: LM KDE -> Cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

It would work but you end up with duplicate applications (KDE's file manager + Cinnamon's file manager, and so on for other common tasks). Some background processes meant for KDE might also run in Cinnamon if you use the same user account.

If you do want to go this route, install mint-meta-cinnamon and create a new user account and log in to that to try Cinnamon (you can change what to log in to on the login screen).

You could also download Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon, put the ISO file on a DVD or USB thumb drive (instructions for USB http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744), and boot from that to try out Cinnamon live before deciding to install it.

jgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgagnon »

I hadn't thought about trying the new user route. That would eliminate many of the conflict issues that could arise. Thank you for that.

As for a live boot from USB, I'll look into that. If I can get it to save settings between reboots then I can test out the Windows network compatibility.

All good stuff, thank you!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

jgagnon wrote:If I can get it to save settings between reboots
Ah, nope. The Live ISO is read-only and forgets any changes after reboot.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xenopeek wrote:
jgagnon wrote:If I can get it to save settings between reboots
Ah, nope. The Live ISO is read-only and forgets any changes after reboot.
Couldn't you make a persistent usb? YUMI is a tool I've used with good results. I've even been able to install Mint with it (although that's not recommended). It supports up to 4GB of persistent space.

You also could just install Mint Cinnamon to the usb, just as you would a hard drive.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

jgagnon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgagnon »

I ended up trying this thing out in a VM anyway simply because of the need to change settings and have them survive a reboot. If all goes well then I think I will reinstall LM 17.2 Cinnamon over my 17.1 KDE. Home and other things are in their own partitions so this shouldn't be too hard to get it back to where I need it to be.

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Software & Applications”