Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon can't create openvpn [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stratacast1

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon can't create openvpn [SOLVED]

Post by Stratacast1 »

I installed the network-manager-openvpn and network-manager-openvpn-gnome packages, and on prior versions I was able to setup my OpenVPN through network manager, now network manager doesn't show the OpenVPN connections.
After installing those packages, all I have done is tried restarting the computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Stratacast1

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon can't create openvpn

Post by Stratacast1 »

Okay I figured it out. You can't go to Network Settings, but rather go to Network Connections. I didn't see anything on this online so I'm going to post the solution here

Open up network connections, click the add button then select OpenVPN, next do these steps:
Get their default configuration (openvpn.zip) package and unzip the contents to /etc/openvpn/
Type a name for the VPN connection (like PIA Cali or whatever the server is)
Enter the name of the network server into the gateway box
Set the option to Password and enter your username/password into the appropriate boxes (or however you want to deal with your password)
There's an option to select the crt file, it should have been unzipped into /etc/openvpn. Select the ca.crt file
Next go to "Advanced" and check the "LZO Compression" box
Click Done to finish setting up the VPN and if you typed your credentials correctly it will connect for you
asola

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon can't create openvpn [SOLVED]

Post by asola »

Thanks, this helped me solving my issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”