(SOLVED) torrents constantly stalling in linux mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED) torrents constantly stalling in linux mint?

Post by mintcandy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:28 pm

First I was using transmission but all of the time the torrents was marked stalled although there were plenty of seeders so I installed qbittorrent instead but exact same problem can't download anything in linux mint any idea how to fix this?
Last edited by mintcandy on Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chemikul30
Level 1
Level 1

Re: torrents constantly stalling in linux mint?

Post by chemikul30 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Try deluge instead. It's connection to the trackers are much more stable than transmission, with much more config options available as well. It's modeled and runs like the uTorrent client in Windows. It's not a package so a simple install. Just dl from Software Manager and your up and running. Good luck!

http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/deluge

Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Are the seeders shown in the torrent programs, or only on the websites where you find the torrents? If no seeders are appearing in the torrent programs, it might be because you can't receive incoming connections (most peers are incoming).

Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:17 pm

chemikul30 wrote:Try deluge instead. It's connection to the trackers are much more stable than transmission
What is your source for this information?

In my experience, Transmission's tracker connections are perfectly stable.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:36 am

Buzzsaw wrote:Are the seeders shown in the torrent programs, or only on the websites where you find the torrents? If no seeders are appearing in the torrent programs, it might be because you can't receive incoming connections (most peers are incoming).
yes they (edit: seeders) are appearing in qbittorrent as well. both with transmission and qbittorrent the downloads start up and after a while they all stall although plenty of seeds are showing they all just say stalled. really annoying
chemikul30 wrote:Try deluge instead. It's connection to the trackers are much more stable than transmission, with much more config options available as well. It's modeled and runs like the uTorrent client in Windows. It's not a package so a simple install. Just dl from Software Manager and your up and running. Good luck!

http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/deluge
I am trying deluge for linux mint now third torrent client I try see if it works

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:49 am

@mintcandy

Sorry it's so annoying my sympathies. I just wanna verify something. Was it working fine when you used windows? Also did you do anything different in windows? (i.e. use a VPN or modify torrent client settings)
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:53 am

coder123 wrote:@mintcandy

Sorry it's so annoying my sympathies. I just wanna verify something. Was it working fine when you used windows? Also did you do anything different in windows? (i.e. use a VPN or modify torrent client settings)
I am using windows on another machine I am running qbittorent and I am downloading to same location on that machine and I have no trouble with my torrents there. I have before successfully run torrent clients on windows on this machine also. I don't think I did much in settings in windows except changing download folder. I didn't do anything actively with a VPN

I've now tried deluge also it is the same problem. Just like when I ran qbittorrent or transmission on linux mint it works for a couple of hours than everything stalls and it stay stalled even when I restart. All new torrents added become stalled at once.

Last thing that happened with deluge is that it's frozen entirely and when I click the applet icon nothing happens there's no window opening. I've tried running sudo killall deluge and sudo xkill and clicking it but it won't terminate.. Still looking for a solution to this if anyone has any ideas!

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by coder123 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:41 pm

mintcandy wrote:

I am using windows on another machine I am running qbittorent and I am downloading to same location on that machine and I have no trouble with my torrents there. I have before successfully run torrent clients on windows on this machine also. I don't think I did much in settings in windows except changing download folder. I didn't do anything actively with a VPN

I've now tried deluge also it is the same problem. Just like when I ran qbittorrent or transmission on linux mint it works for a couple of hours than everything stalls and it stay stalled even when I restart. All new torrents added become stalled at once.

Last thing that happened with deluge is that it's frozen entirely and when I click the applet icon nothing happens there's no window opening. I've tried running sudo killall deluge and sudo xkill and clicking it but it won't terminate.. Still looking for a solution to this if anyone has any ideas!
Did you try rebooting? When you reboot do the torrents stop stalling? Also it sounds like something fundamental in your system went wrong. Would be able to back your stuff up to do a reinstallation?
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:40 am

coder123 wrote:
mintcandy wrote:

Did you try rebooting? When you reboot do the torrents stop stalling? Also it sounds like something fundamental in your system went wrong. Would be able to back your stuff up to do a reinstallation?
I have now tried rebooting the torrents are still stalled. I could reinstall but the thing is I have put hours of work into getting different things working in linux mint I might just keep downloading on my other computer if it doesn't work. Why do you think something is fundamentally wrong in my system? Is it because the xkill comman doesn't work? I am very new to linux mint but everything else seem to be working properly now only I can't get ANY bittorrent client to work..

edit: i have now tried xkill on my browser and it worked only with deluge it doesn't work

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:18 am

I don't know where some of these noobs get this idea that if transmission isn't working properly ... this is a program that is installed by default on both ubuntu and mint and other distros and is extremely solid ... then the solution is another torrent client. This makes zero sense.

You probably have a mis configured network setup. Wired or wireless? To get network info go to terminal and enter or copy & paste:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C network
and enter your password. Post result here with

tags so people can read it.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:44 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:I don't know where some of these noobs get this idea that if transmission isn't working properly ... this is a program that is installed by default on both ubuntu and mint and other distros and is extremely solid ... then the solution is another torrent client. This makes zero sense.

You probably have a mis configured network setup. Wired or wireless? To get network info go to terminal and enter or copy & paste:

sudo lshw -C network
and enter your password. Post result here with tags so people can read it.

*-network               
       description: Ethernet interface
       product: NetLink BCM57781 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
       vendor: Broadcom Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
       logical name: eth0
       version: 10
       serial: bc:5f:f4:5a:48:ff
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=tg3 driverversion=3.134 duplex=full firmware=sb ip=192.168.1.4 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=1Gbit/s
       resources: irq:19 memory:f0010000-f001ffff memory:f0000000-f000ffff memory:f7a00000-f7a007ff
  *-network
       description: Wireless interface
       product: RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN Controller
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 10
       serial: dc:85:de:0c:92:0f
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl8192se driverversion=3.13.0-37-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
       resources: irq:16 ioport:d000(size=256) memory:f7900000-f7903fff

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:04 am

ideas?

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am

I tried reinstalling linux mint anyway it did not help anyone have any ideas why the torrents are stalling?

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:04 pm

There was nothing wrong with your system if xkill failed. If you want to *force* a program to quit, do the following:
-Get the program name: "ps -e | grep -i <PossibleProgramNameHere>"
-Once you have the name, we need the PID: "pidof <PossibleProgramNameHere>"
-Using the returned PID, we kill that process: "kill -9 <ThePidGoesHere>"
This method forces said program to die, and has worked in every single case of freezing aside from kernel panics. Note that this is NOT a good idea. You can lose data, or cause other side effects because the program didnt shutdown cleanly. Some of which are nasty...

Now, reasons the torrents may stall...
-Low bandwidth
-Wifi/Ethernet adapter power management
-Screen saver (this was it for me)
-Intermittent network issues between you and the seeders.
-Some routers dont tolerate torrents well.

Transmission has an excessive amount of settings for dealing with bandwidth and networking. The screen saver issue was likely just my stubborn system, and power management can be disabled from using the terminal. It really could be anything, I dont torrent often so I can't say much. Do check the network settings, cables, routers, adapters, etc. and try setting some of transmissions network settings. I have no issues with transmissions default settings.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can assist further.
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:06 pm

JohnBobSmith wrote:There was nothing wrong with your system if xkill failed. If you want to *force* a program to quit, do the following:
-Get the program name: "ps -e | grep -i <PossibleProgramNameHere>"
-Once you have the name, we need the PID: "pidof <PossibleProgramNameHere>"
-Using the returned PID, we kill that process: "kill -9 <ThePidGoesHere>"
This method forces said program to die, and has worked in every single case of freezing aside from kernel panics. Note that this is NOT a good idea. You can lose data, or cause other side effects because the program didnt shutdown cleanly. Some of which are nasty...

Now, reasons the torrents may stall...
-Low bandwidth
-Wifi/Ethernet adapter power management
-Screen saver (this was it for me)
-Intermittent network issues between you and the seeders.
-Some routers dont tolerate torrents well.

Transmission has an excessive amount of settings for dealing with bandwidth and networking. The screen saver issue was likely just my stubborn system, and power management can be disabled from using the terminal. It really could be anything, I dont torrent often so I can't say much. Do check the network settings, cables, routers, adapters, etc. and try setting some of transmissions network settings. I have no issues with transmissions default settings.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can assist further.
Hopefully because if it was any of the reasons you listing I don't think torrents would be working flawlessly on mac os and windows on same wifi. also i have no other internet issues on linux mint just whatever software I use the torrents keep stalling

JohnBobSmith
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnBobSmith » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:56 pm

You could try WINE and use that to torrent, since you mentioned Windows torrenting works fine. Install the Windows client to WINE, then you can download via WINE and still transfer any files between wine/native Linux without issues.
If you want to change the world, start by changing yourself.
Success is often 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
You get one shot at life, so live to the maximum, not the minimum.

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm

The reason I wanted linux was to be free of viruses and stuff but I reluctantly installed wine anyway and installed deluge on wine c: but exact same problem in wine it is torrent with hundreds of seeders and it wont download. It doesn't say stalled in wine it says "no incoming connections" and nothing happens. Also I don't really want to run it in wine because of viruses and it wont go in the left side of the panel as applet.

Anyone know how to get torrents to download in linux mint?

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:14 am

Anyone know?

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:11 am

Very weird. Probably the specific torrent you are trying to use just doesn't have many serious seeders (maybe lots of people are connected but have set there seeding speed set to almost 0).

Maybe the port is being blocked by something, try changing it to a random port in settings and restarting client.

Test your torrent client with another torrent like this one: http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/ Do other torrents work okay?

If it does seem to be all torrents that are stalling, i suspect network connectivity problems. (If your using wifi or mobile broadband try switch to cabled internet.)

Sorry it's not working well for you. I've had good experienced with both transmission and qbittorrent.
Donate to your favourite distros!

mintcandy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintcandy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Chiefahol wrote:Very weird. Probably the specific torrent you are trying to use just doesn't have many serious seeders (maybe lots of people are connected but have set there seeding speed set to almost 0).

Maybe the port is being blocked by something, try changing it to a random port in settings and restarting client.

Test your torrent client with another torrent like this one: http://download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/ Do other torrents work okay?

If it does seem to be all torrents that are stalling, i suspect network connectivity problems. (If your using wifi or mobile broadband try switch to cabled internet.)

Sorry it's not working well for you. I've had good experienced with both transmission and qbittorrent.
Hello,

While battling with the torrent problem I've tried tens of different torrent files all popular with hundred of seeders that's definitely not the problem. I have now tried with the gimp torrent also. I do have some network connectivity problems with mint. Upon installing it it didn't work it said resolving host and connection error for a long time other than that the torrents stalling is the only internet problem I've had until yesterday when I couldn't connect to the internet again for some weird reason. Today it works fine again so two months internet have been working fine except for the torrents constantly not working and some connectivity problems. Im using cabled internet only with linux mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”