Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Restoring files removed by Software Manager

Post by Oldbwl »

Sorry if this is a bit of a noobs question. I want to try a program (actually it doesn't matter which for the purpose of the question) and at the time of the install Software Manager advises it will remove some existing files/Libraries and replace them with something with a completely different name - not necessarily a different version of the said file.

If I don't like the program and choose to remove it (again via Software Manager), will the files originally removed be reinstated? - I know I could list them and do each one by hand, but wondered if this was an auto process for SM?

Regards
Dan
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Restoring files removed by Software Manager

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi Oldbwl,

Files/Libraries are only removed when they are no longer needed, which may include a file with one name replacing another file with a different name. If you install a program which results in some files/Libraries being removed it is because they are no longer needed. So, if you then remove the program you just installed, the old removed files/Libraries will not be reinstalled because they are not needed. Also, any new files/Libraries which were installed along with the program will also be removed for the same reason.

Hope this helps. :D
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Restoring files removed by Software Manager

Post by Oldbwl »

Well. I note the list of files removed by installing WINE includes

libegl1-mesa, libegl1-mesa-drivers, libglapi-mesa, udev, nvidia-libopencl1-331, nvidia-libopencl1-340, libgles2-mesa, libudev1, libgl1-mesa-glx, libwayland-egl1-mesa

I may be wrong but I suspect some are being replaced to avoid conflict. If I subsequently remove Wine, is it not feasible that these should be put back?

I have have found instances of removal of an app did result in the installation of a file and previous version e.g.

Impact on packages:
The following packages would be installed: openjdk-6-jre-lib, openjdk-6-jre-headless, openjdk-6-jre

The following packages would be removed: default-jre, icedtea-plugin, icedtea-7-plugin, icedtea-netx

Not the best example I know, but it does happen.

Return to “Software & Applications”