richard-g8jvm
Level 3
Level 3

How do load OSX on virtualbox, or run on MINT

Post by richard-g8jvm » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi
problem
I want to update the s/w on my garmin nuvi GPS
Garmin are rats , no linux support, win supprt is only for later and Mac OS 19.8 or later.
rather than polute with more win rubbish any idea how to put Mac OSX on to virtualbox.
everything I've found is written for a win load :(
or is there a way of running an OSX app on mint , much prefered.
using LM 64bit 17.1

Thanks
Richard

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do load OSX on virtualbox, or run on MINT

Post by cmost » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

Apple does not authorize OSX to be run on anything other than an official Macintosh computer. While it's possible to install OSX in VirtualBox, doing so violates Apple's copyrights and therefore I doubt anyone on the forums would contribute to such a tutorial and the moderators will most certainly delete the thread. Sorry. That being said, there are plenty of tutorials available on the Web for installing OSX in VirtualBox. Good luck.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
86.5 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE 1.18 +Compiz
Kernel 4.09 LTS

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:34 pm

my learning told me OSX is real fickle about hardware, and even more so about drivers. but if you have the correct drivers and PC-hardware, you can do a str8-out install on PC metal. you also needed a bootloader converter tool. maybe a library or cafe would have a rent-able apple/mac set-up, thats the only other thought that comes to mind.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:43 pm

cmost wrote:Apple does not authorize OSX to be run on anything other than an official Macintosh computer. While it's possible to install OSX in VirtualBox, doing so violates Apple's copyrights and therefore I doubt anyone on the forums would contribute to such a tutorial and the moderators will most certainly delete the thread. Sorry. That being said, there are plenty of tutorials available on the Web for installing OSX in VirtualBox. Good luck.
Best possible answer. :) A virtual Hackintosh is still a Hackintosh. I wish it could be different, but it isn't...
Apple does allow you to virtualise OS X twice, but only on a Mac (so you would have bought a Mac already).

If there is a Windows tool, why not install Windows to VBox? Or maybe a friend will allow you to borrow their computer for this?

Darling is a tool similar to Wine, but for OS X apps. With that said, I don't know if it's workable for the average user--or if it's even available yet.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:26 pm

OS X on a PC is more trouble than it's worth. I tried that route but too many obstacles and I gave up and just bought a Mac instead. You can run Windows and Linux on a Mac, natively or in a VM.

richard-g8jvm
Level 3
Level 3

Post by richard-g8jvm » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:48 pm

thanks for the replies, enlightning that apple are just as bad as microrubbish.

Garmin are just as bad as their legacy s/w for updating the firmware, which will run on XP, is bust and thaty dont care as they want to
push their Expess s/w which is greedty on space, 13 GB !!!! and wont run on anything earlier than vista sp2, what ever that is.
See if I can find someone with a recent copy of windoz and use their machine.
probably wont pruce s/w for linux as they cant make money out of it,,, greddy bas#####

Thanks
richard

Return to “Software & Applications”