Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Location of sources.list in Mint17

Post by mark1mint » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:21 am

I was wondering why in Mint17 the sources.list file does only contain a reference to the installation CD, whereas the actual sources are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list instead.

Why is that? Unless I may have changed that manually and then forgot about it, in Mint13 I had a normal sources.list file containing all the sources.

What would be the drawback of reverting to this traditional scheme in Mint17 ?

I also may have another related question: when appending "backports" to the line

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rafaela  main upstream import  
we are actually talking about mint-specific backports, not the ubuntu backports, is that correct ?

What's actually in this Mint backports repository, and if adding that and the ubuntu backports as well, as in

#deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu trusty-backports main restricted universe multiverse
is there any risk of conflicting packages?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Location of sources.list in Mint17

Post by xenopeek » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:33 am

mark1mint wrote:I was wondering why in Mint17 the sources.list file does only contain a reference to the installation CD, whereas the actual sources are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list instead.

Why is that? Unless I may have changed that manually and then forgot about it, in Mint13 I had a normal sources.list file containing all the sources.
"normal sources.list file" is your assumption about what is normal. APT has for a long while had the option to use the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory and this makes for a cleaner and more organized sources configuration. Linux Mint 13 is from a long time ago and the Linux Mint developers have refined their knowledge and how best to do things since.
mark1mint wrote:What would be the drawback of reverting to this traditional scheme in Mint17 ?
Effort on your part, with no discernible benefits. If you want to see all your repositories in one go you just type "inxi -r".
mark1mint wrote:I also may have another related question: when appending "backports" to the line

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com rafaela  main upstream import  
we are actually talking about mint-specific backports, not the ubuntu backports, is that correct ?
Yes.
mark1mint wrote:What's actually in this Mint backports repository
You keep mentioning Linux Mint 17, so I assume you're being factual and correct and are using that and not Linux Mint 17.2. There is nothing in backports for Linux Mint 17 (or for 17.1 or 17.2) and you can browse that here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/. In the past newer Mint tools, Cinnamon, and MATE versions would be made available in backports. That was when Linux Mint still also made releases based on both Ubuntu LTS and Ubuntu development releases. Linux Mint currently only uses Ubuntu LTS release and thus there is no real use for backports. If you want the newer version you use Update Manager to move from Linux Mint 17 to 17.2 and the newer versions become available that way.
mark1mint wrote:and is it possible to add that and the ubuntu backports as well
Yes.
mark1mint wrote:is there any risk of conflicting packages?
No. Linux Mint repositories are configured at a higher APT priority. When some package is available in both the Linux Mint and Ubuntu repositories, it will be installed from the Linux Mint repositories—unless you specifically indicate you want it installed from the Ubuntu repositories. No risk of conflict.

mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mark1mint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:01 pm

xenopeek wrote:
mark1mint wrote:I was wondering why in Mint17 the sources.list file does only contain a reference to the installation CD, whereas the actual sources are in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list instead.

"normal sources.list file" is your assumption about what is normal. APT has for a long while had the option to use the /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory and this makes for a cleaner and more organized sources configuration. Linux Mint 13 is from a long time ago and the Linux Mint developers have refined their knowledge and how best to do things since.
It's not my assumption as far as I'm concerned, Mint developers can put their sources wherever they think is best, but Debian and Ubuntu (to name two distros on which Mint is directly based) are using /etc/apt/sources.list, as do a number of other distros.
I may have said "traditional" instead of "normal" , that doesn't change the gist of it, when checking/editing your software sources /etc/apt/sources.list is where you are usually expecting to find them.

As you point out, thanks to inxi you can still see your software sources all at once, but still it will take some poking around to see them with some other tool and/or to edit them.
You say that this solution is cleaner, I don't think it's practical: unless you have a dozen of software sources, or write in it massive comments as Ubunty does, you can keep a single sources.list file very tidy.

xenopeek wrote:
mark1mint wrote:What's actually in this Mint backports repository
You keep mentioning Linux Mint 17, so I assume you're being factual and correct and are using that and not Linux Mint 17.2. There is nothing in backports for Linux Mint 17 (or for 17.1 or 17.2) and you can browse that here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/. In the past newer Mint tools, Cinnamon, and MATE versions would be made available in backports. That was when Linux Mint still also made releases based on both Ubuntu LTS and Ubuntu development releases. Linux Mint currently only uses Ubuntu LTS release and thus there is no real use for backports. If you want the newer version you use Update Manager to move from Linux Mint 17 to 17.2 and the newer versions become available that way.
You are right, having installed Mint 17 and then upgraded to 17.2, asking about backports for Mint 17 wasn't correct.
If you don't mind, I still can't grasp this: why there is no use for backports with LTS releases? I would have thought quite the opposite, i.e. being long term releases they would need upgraded/backported packages along the way.
Unless, point releases are actually meant to do just that, thus replacing and superceding the backports for such releases.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:14 pm

but still it will take some poking around to see them with some other tool and/or to edit them
Have you looked at the Mint developed Software Sources program ? It's in the Menu.

mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mark1mint » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:36 am

Well, I was talking about command line tools: having more or less become used to them, I always use nano /etc/apt/sources.list to view/edit them (if required) , with the plus of syntax highlighting.

When they are in other location(s), that doesn't work so smoothly.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:52 pm

You can do with the files what you want. There is nothing magical about sources.list or sources.list.d/*.list. Both are integral part of APT and have been for a long time. Now I don't know how the Linux Mint tools work with it when you move the official repositories, additional repositories, and PPAs configured in the sources.list.d/*.list files into sources.list. Will you still be able to use Software Sources to reset the official repositories? And so on. I'd hope so but I'm not sure.

Return to “Software & Applications”