Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Workspace / desktop issues on LM17.2 64 Cinnamon

Post by Bobo-the-Cat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:00 pm

I have three questions concerning desktops/workspaces in LM17.2:

1. With earlier versions of LM, you can drag and drop windows between desktops. Can this be done with LM17.2 cinnamon. If not it seems a bit inflexible?
2. With earlier versions of LM, you can see window icons in each desktop so you can see at a glance which window is where. With LM 17.2 you need to click on a separate applet for this. Why?
3. Try as I might I cannot see how to add more than 4 desktops/workspaces. If I right click on the panel applet I only get the choice to manage workspaces (which only tiles them), About, or Remove applet.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Workspace / desktop issues on LM17.2 64 Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:17 pm

1. There is no change in this regard for LM 17.2. Press Alt-F1 and you can drag & drop. Or right click the title bar of a program window, that open the system menu with the wanted options. Or press ctrl-shift-alt-cursor (left or right).

2. Not clear what you mean. Probably it is the best, how you did what you wanted in the earlier version.

3. Again press alt-F1, you will see the +-button on the right. Click on the x-button on the top right of each workspace (after hovering it) to remove a workspace. Again no difference to previous versions.

Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Bobo-the-Cat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Cosmo. Thanks this answers my questions.

robert-e
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robert-e » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:17 pm

@Comos;

WRT point 2, I believe the OP means this:

In Mint 13 mate for example, if you set up the workplace switcher with 4 "desktops" which is the default, and then open an app, such as the calculator. Then click the minimize button on the calculator app. It will show up in one of the 4 "switcher" boxes. If you then click that box, it will then show up on that desktop.

OTOH, if you do the same procedure in mint 17.2, the calculator app will disappear completely, and the user will not be able to access that app. A look in the system monitor will show that it is still running (sleeping), and not closed. The only way I found to get back into the app is to install the "window selector" applet and then use that menu to get the app back on the desktop. Other apps behave similarly.

If this is expected behavior, then it is what it is. If not, then it is a bug.

Personally, it is the behavior of mint 13 maya's desktop switcher that first attracted me to mint. The new switcher; not so much.

Regards,
Bob

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 pm

@robert-e:
In the title the OP clearly stated, that he uses Cinnamon. And pitifully he did not make this point clear.

Return to “Software & Applications”