Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Thunderbird 38.2 has stopped showing notification

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 pm

User set does not always mean set by will. The value has something to do with the idle state of the system, which is obviously dependent from the user's activity.

gert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gert » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 am

Hi,

it is not only a Mint Bug. Here is the Ubuntu bugreport:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1491249

Gert

DanielCoffey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DanielCoffey » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks for pointing us to that, Gert. It is the correct place for it to be dealt with.
Caselabs S8: Intel i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb / WD Red 4x 8Tb, Samsung 850PRO 512Gb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1500I / unRAID Plus 6.3.5

Logan_Wolverine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Logan_Wolverine » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 am

I don't know what happened buy today I got this visual notification.
But no notification for new mail.
Attachments
image.png
I got this notification.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 am

That is quite another problem and I suggest to create a new thread about this. This thread is already 3 sites long and after a short time nobody is able to find a specific post again.

In short: Out of any reason TB was not able to connect to connect to the mailserver. Several reasons are possible: Wrong settings for the server, wrong password, server momentarily down, your network momentarily down.

But again: Open a new thread about this problem, otherwise it will get confusing here and you will likely get less responses. Besides the fact, that with the topic of this title nobody would expect or search for such a problem.

paipa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paipa » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:43 am

It's been two weeks but there's no activity on the Ubuntu bug tracker, nobody's been assigned to it yet so it could take a while. It's a big issue which embarrassed me multiple times recently (colleagues asking what took me half an hour about a one word response, followed by a snarky "this is why you get a Mac" upon hearing my excuse).

I didn't want to install any stupid e-mail notification software so I wrote a primitive shell script that checks the timestamp of my Thunderbird's INBOX file and upon seeing a change, it pushes a notification to the tray. Nothing fancy, just a "check your inbox" message. Set the correct INBOX file path at the top and change the refresh frequency from 30 seconds to whatever you like on the second to last line. If you use multiple accounts in Thunderbird or have fancy directory structures you might have to extend this a bit or get a proper notifier, but I'll put it here regardless:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
INBOXPATH=/home/paipa/.thunderbird/mnf2l8cnu.default/ImapMail/my.email.host.com/INBOX
PREVDATE="$(stat -c %y $INBOXPATH)"
while :
do
    CURRDATE="$(stat -c %y $INBOXPATH)"
    if [ "$CURRDATE" != "$PREVDATE" ]; then
        notify-send "New mail" "Check your inbox."
    fi
    PREVDATE=$CURRDATE
    sleep 30;
done

George99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by George99 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 am

Just installed the update of Thunderbird (38.2 -> 38.3) and still the same old problem - no notifications--- :( Sorry Ubuntu what the heck are you doing?

Megasaurus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Megasaurus » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:47 am

Same here - Thunderbird 38.3.0 still has the notification bug (Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 bit). Please guys, if you can't fix it, could we have a callback (like BackInTime does) which allows us to set up our own notifications?

asciiman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by asciiman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:03 am

Hi folks.
Yep saw the Ubuntu build of T-bird update come through today myself.
I had hopes of the notification fix too.
No change here either.

I wonder if anyone on the Ubuntu team has even picked up on this issue?
Or is it just too low a priority?

asciiman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by asciiman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Not sure if anyone else is still interested in this bug, but Cinnamon users might want to know about this Thunderbird add-on that will provide for basic email notifications at the desktop. It will only display Sender name and Subject line, so no message body preview, but at least it gives us a visual notification...

https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/thunde ... tegration/

Hope this is helpful.

@

paipa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paipa » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:22 am

So the two biggest Linux distributions can't notify their users of incoming e-mails received by the default client without resorting to hacks or external plugins. For three months now. Just wow.

asciiman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by asciiman » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Happy New Year!
2016 has arrived and Thunderbird (now version 38.4) still does not work through the Ubuntu/Mint desktop notification system!!

I wonder if Ubuntu/Mint have just blown off this issue entirely?
I noticed today that Evolution Mail communicates beautifully through the desktop notification system of Ubuntu Gnome.
Evolution is a full-featured mail program, resembling Outlook in function, but I still prefer the simplicity of Thunderbird.

Anyone care about this issue any longer??

*crickets*

:(

Johno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:10 am

This whole situation is unbelievable. This has been going on for months and affects possibly the most used program within the operating system. I have got to the stage where I installed Evolution. Notifications work seamlessly. The only drawback is the version is well behind the current stable release which is very annoying. I know there is probably a way round this but I am not a computer wizard. I have just used Linux Mint for several years as my computer operating system for work once Windows started going the road of tiles.

My guess is that since every other program that uses notifications on Mint works fine, its probably Thunderbird that has the fault.

Johno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:22 am

I seem to have solved this. I added the official Mozilla Thunderbird version from their site to 38.5.1. Notifications work fine without any issues. The problem seems to be the versions of Thunderbird in the Mint repository.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:31 am

I gave this advice already 4 months ago.

Johno
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Johno » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 am

Cosmo

Yes you did. My apologies for the duplication. It would be far easier though if they just fixed the version in the repositories.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:53 am

Johno, you're welcome.

asciiman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by asciiman » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Cosmo. wrote:I gave this advice already 4 months ago.
Hi Cosmo-

Reading your link above, I can see that you put a lot of thought and work into this issue.

But I have to say that for most of us, those of us who don't have either the time or the technical skill, this kind of a fix is only what I would call a "work around" for an issue that is a gross regression in the functionality of our Linux desktop environment.

Now, please, don't take this the wrong way. I am not indicting you for this. Quite the contrary, I am familiar with your work here on this forum and have learned much from reading your contributions.

That said, I bumped this thread to bring up the visibility of this issue to the people who are working directly with the distros and the repositories. This issue is a regression of function and the people working within the various organizations know it. Furthermore, they also are keenly aware that a work-around such as you have (kindly) provided for us, is also unacceptable to the vast majority of the people who use their product.

So what does it take to get this regression really fixed so we can have the nice functionality that we have had since, what, Mint 12?

If that means taking Thunderbird out of the build, and giving us an email client that works the way Thunderbird once did, hey that's great!
But to let this issue fester, like it has for so long, with a program that is so central to the desktop environment, this is really a bad disappointment to a lot of us.

Again, no disrespect to you Cosmo.

My plea is to Mozilla, Ubuntu, Mint... PLEASE! Make this right!!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:34 pm

I have no problems, if you prefer a solution for the repo-version instead installing the Mozilla build. Having this wish is a very logical thought.

But this is something, what no user can do. So you either have to live with it or take he alternative, which luckily does exist in this case.

I would not call this as a workaround, but again, I leave it to everybody to judge it him/her-self. Be sure, that I will not feel disrespected by your post. :)
Fact is, that this thread spreads over several months and the problem in the repo version does still exist.
Another fact is, that I provided a tutorial about the how to for installing the Mozilla build. I think (hope), that it is well understandable, at least nobody put a question about something, that might be unclear. The whole process of installing should be doable in half a hour. On the other side the updates for the Mozilla builds are far more quicker, because the updates get downloaded mostly only incrementally, whereas you always get the complete package again, if you update from the repo. This might not be a great concern for people with a very broad Internet connection, for a small band connection the difference is really great.

Everybody has the choice. I definitely would not want to miss the new mail notifications.

aquarius18
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aquarius18 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:36 am

Meanwhile it is March 2016 and the notifications issue STILL is not fixed. The TB version is 38.6.0 and we are still left in the dark with email notifications.

It is even more annoying that I just (after 5 years) managed to convince my wife to ditch her Win 7 installation and get LM up and running - that is after my neighbour (a computer buff, head of the local computer club and computer repair fellow) spent 2 days removing more than 1600 malicious scripts from her box..... say no more.

So here is LM installed and up and running on her box and the first thing she says: there are NO notifications when mail comes in, how come????

Come on devs from all quarters, please get this fixed - thank you.

Return to “Software & Applications”