Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

MintBackup Freezes on ".steam/steam.pipe"

Post by eatenimpinia » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, I'm reporting it here (I don't think there's a solution). I fired up MintBackup and told it to backup my personal home directory. It shows me the non-hidden directories, which is what I want. When I try to back everything up, it very shortly freezes with either a "calculating checksum" or "already present" message on the folder ".steam/steam.pipe" (which is in a hidden folder and shouldn't even be backed up anyway as it doesn't show up in either source or exclusions). There's a four (4) year old confirmed bug on this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/846262

having to do with it not being able to handle named pipes. So, if you've got Steam installed (or LastPass, according to that bug), it looks like MintBackup is unusable (I'd sure love to be wrong on that, though).
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

paradroid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MintBackup Freezes on ".steam/steam.pipe"

Post by paradroid » Sat May 21, 2016 10:04 am

Bug still present just run into it today.

jungle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jungle » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:36 am

Problem still present. Linuxmint's Backup tool is stuck calculating checksum at...
Backing up: jungle/lastpass/pipes/lastpassffplugin

'jungle' is my home drive.

You can work around this by selecting the folders or files (in your home drive for example) you want to back up and doing them one at a time. The LinuxMint Backup tool works fine (until you hit a folder where lastpass pipes are located).

dmk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dmk » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:46 pm

I hit this problem today on

Code: Select all

.icedteaplugin/icedtea-plugin-to-appletviewer

As a reminder, you can find those nasty named pipes by

Code: Select all

find . -type p

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:34 pm

You made the same mistake, as all the previous posters also: You did not give the least system specs.

As you can read here, there has been an update released (unluckily also without telling for which of the still maintained Mint versions). This update is indeed only available in Mint 18. I cannot judge if this really helps. MintBackup has shown in the past as an unreliable tool (although this is the very main important requirement for a backup tool). I strongly recommend and use myself another software: Back in Time. It has besides reliability far more advantages as flexibility, automated backups, ease of use.

Return to “Software & Applications”