Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

How to install Kstreamripper

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi All,
I would like to install Kstreamripper but can't figure out how to do it. From my research it seems I need a repository and/or a PPA to do it, but I can't find anything that works. I've tried downloading and installing a few different versions (rpm, bz2) but there are always dependencies missing.
How do I do it?
Thanks,
Ian

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to install Kstreamripper

Post by Hoser Rob »

Why are you trying to install rpm versions? That's for distros (Fedora based largely) that use a different package management system than debian/ubuntu. You won't have much luck there.

It's common to have missing dependencies when installing from tar.bz2 files if you don't know enough to install the dependencies first. Unlike when you use apt-get or deb files, installing from tar files leave this to you. BTW none of those things are beta tested for your release version like the apps in the repos.

If you don't know how this works I'd recommend avoiding them, period. I have 2 mint 17 installs and there are no tar file installs or external untested ppa's. I will not use them unless there's something newer I can't do without. I may do that in the future if I need HEVC video capability but not yet ...

The reason you have to install kstreamripper that way is that it used to be in the repos but hasn't since ubuntu 10. That's a while ago, and I wouldn't touch it. Try another program. Hint: I never use software recommendations from blogs. Some blogs are good, many are awful.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8,

I just read your post and the good reply to it.

It seems this program "Kstreamripper" is not being maintained regularly. As was already mentioned, you could try downloading the "rpm" file, or the archive file "tarball" (.tar file) and installing it that way which might work, and it might not. The ".rpm" file will not install into Linux Mint without converting it. You can convert some installation packages (like .rpm) using the programs "Alien" and the "package converter" front-end to "Alien" to a ".deb" file, and try installing it into Linux Mint. But, you might consider reading the next section for some other suggestions.

I just checked my Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and there is a program called "streamripper" in there which you might be able to use. Of course any program that can record your system's audio while listening to or playing audio, can pretty much do what you want. You might have to manually control when to start and stop the recording process. "Audacity" and "Record audio", are two applications (apps) that quickly come to mind. Some music players might also be able to do this. Some screen recording apps like "SimpleScreenRecorder" might work well for this too. If you need to, you can easily convert audio and or video file formats from one format to another format using many various free utilities, including online websites, to more common formats, like the audio ".mp3" format. You can even extract audio tracks from video files too.

How To Record Streaming Audio using the excellent "Audio Recorder". Has installation instructions in link as well
http://itsfoss.com/record-streaming-audio/

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/record- ... appli.html

To install "Audio-Recorder" using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Linux Mint 17.x

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:osmoma/audio-recorder

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audio-recorder
Linux Mint 18.x

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:audio-recorder/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install audio-recorder

"SimpleScreenRecorder" - Wonderful screen (desktop) recorder program that can capture Video and audio, or either one.
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

To install "SimpleScreenRecorder" using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maarten-baert/simplescreenrecorder
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib[/color]

# if you want to record 32-bit OpenGL applications on a 64-bit system:
sudo apt-get install simplescreenrecorder-lib:i386

And, you can always go "low-tech", and connect an external recording device, like a digital voice recorder, cassette tape recorder, etc... from your speaker out jack of your computer, or stereo, to the recording device's input jack (or Mic in jack) and record it that way too; which can then of course be converted to a digital format afterwards, if you wanted to do that.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Thank you for the clarifications and explanations. I'm pretty much a noob at Linux so all information, no matter how basic, is part of the learning curve for me.

I haven't heard of the other applications you mentioned phd21 but I will have a look. I had a look at streamripper, but it appears to be a command line tool, and is used by other GUI functions (like Kstreamripper and Tunapie) to do the actual ripping.

What I am really trying to do is find a Linux equivalent of the excellent free Windows app Screamer Radio. It hasn't been maintained in a long time, but it still works very well under Windows 10. It has a couple of different recording modes, but the one I like allows me to hit the record button as a track is playing, and it will record the whole track from the beginning. I guess it must buffer every track as it's playing in case the user decides to hit the Rec button, and discards the recording if he/she doesn't. But I've built up quite a library of music I like, which I then transfer to a USB to play in the car. It also lists hundreds of internet radio stations (quite a few of which don't work, especially the Russian ones) and you can add your own stations as well. I've added a few from di.fm.

Other aps I've tried are Tunapie and Streamtuner2, neither of which I can get to work. Tunapie starts but apparently can't find any audio streams. Streamtuner2 starts and displays a progress bar that never gets past about 5%. I've tried them both under Kubuntu as well. Same result for Tunapie, Streamtuner2 does eventully start and lists a lot of radio stations, but won't play anything.

Anyway I'll try the apps you've recommended and see how I go...

Thanks, Ian

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8,

I tried some of these as streamer radio players as well, but none of them seem to have any active stations? so I looked up the "Screamer Radio" and their station list. I assume that you could add any or all of those stations that work to any of the afore mentioned Linux streamer apps. I have not tried that yet, but it makes sense that if they would work in Screamer Radio, then those active working links should work in other streaming players. you might even be able to import them. Can you please provide an example of a working stream from "Screamer Radio" and the URL address for one or more streaming stations?

"SimpleScreenRecorder" can record anything that your system is playing from whatever source or program. I tried it and it works. I have not tried all the possible options (yet). I found it was so easy to have it record the desktop video and audio to its default ".mkv" format and then use a converter program like ("curlew" or "format junkie") to convert that into the audio format I want, mp3, flac, etc... Note1: I did reduce video to 640 x 480 because I was not interested in the actual video part for this streaming audio recording test. Note2: Supposedly, you can select options in SSR to record directly to ".mp3", and other audio only formats, but on my preliminary quick tests, that did not work for me.

Keep us (me) posted on your progress...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8,

After some reflection, I realized that trying to get these streamer radio applications to work, especially some of the older ones, that perhaps the smart thing to try is one of the wonderful music players that Linux has. Most of the newer music players have built-in streaming abilities, so there is no need to use another streaming program.

So, I brought up the wonderful Amarok music player, which I love, and clicked the little blue folder, "media sources home" in the upper left of Amarok, then clicked "Internet", which has its own list of streaming websites which of course you can listen to, or add to, then I clicked the "playlist" option in the toolbar, clicked "add stream", and pasted a link to one of the "shoutcast.com" streaming stations (example: 1.FM - ABSOLUTE TOP 40 RADIO), which then appeared at the bottom in my active playlist panel on the right. I double clicked it, and it started playing, then I clicked "tools" on the toolbar, clicked "record livestream", and Amarok (which uses "streamripper") automatically created a folder for this station in my local music folder and recorded the stream as ".mp3" into that folder automatically, until I hit "Stop recording" in the "tools" option. It recorded it perfectly. It even recognized the song being played and tries to get the lyrics to the various songs being played. When I picked the "tools" option "record webradio" for the same streaming station, it went even further and better, and created separate "mp3" files for each song by itself, wow; And, it recorded the station messages and advertising into another mp3 file - too cool. The files are only recorded in 128 bit mp3, but that's not bad. It seems that the "record livestream" records everything into one larger mp3, whereas the "record webradio" option will create separate mp3 files automatically. Under "Settings", "configure RecordStream", you can also set a timer as well, like record the streaming station for an hour.

You could also easily create a playlist of various streaming stations in your current playing playlist, and then save that playlist with a name like "personal streaming radio sites", or whatever, for future easy access from the Amarok playlists section, which is also under the little blue home folder in the upper left.

FYI: "Shoutcast" has hundreds, if not thousands, of streams of all kinds (radio, music, news, comedy, talk, science fiction, etc...) from everywhere. They have a search bar to help you locate stations to listen to, or you can pick by "Genre", like Rock, Jazz, soundtrack, etc... You can try searching for: USA, British or English, Danish, Amsterdam, Swedish, Norway, French, Celtic, Australian, Canada or Canadian, Spanish, Irish, Italian, Top Hits, Top 40, etc...

Tip: Once you find a station on shoutcast.com you are interested in listening to, then click the little blue down arrow with a line underneath it on the left, right click the "m3u" option, select "copy link location", then bring up Amarok, click "playlist" in the toolbar, click "add stream", and right click (or SHIFT-INS) to "paste" the link to that station, and the station will now be in your current active playlist on the right of Amarok.

Obviously, any other streaming site like "shoutcast" may work too.

FYI-2: On my system, for some reason, the "record webradio" stream function (without a timer= default) kept recording, even after clicking "stop recording", even after closing Amarok. I noticed this because I had my file manager open to my /Music" folder and the streaming station's folder and saw that it was still recording. I then checked my "system monitor" (ksysguard) to see what was still ripping the audio "stream" and it was the program "streamripper" which either Amarok installed or I did, but Amarok uses this program. I ended the 2 instances of "streamripper" to stop recording with my system monitor, but just logging out and logging back in works and is easier for most people to do and it's fast in Linux Mint. This is a minor issue considering how well it works.

I am now going to remove (un-install) "streamtuner2" and "tunapie" streamer applications, because I do not need them and I only installed them to help you out in this post and to learn more about "streaming" programs and their options.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Mogplus8, and anyone else interested in this topic,

I have been using Amarok for awhile now, and may have already installed some options that are not the "default" options for Amarok. So, I thought I should add the comments below which may help improve your Amarok and music experience. I also found that there is already a "script" option to add "Shoutcast" (and many other) streaming stations to Amarok's Internet list. I also found out for recording streams, that in addition to installing "streamripper", that you might need to install the "mplayer" stuff from your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) which you should do anyway (I also recommend "ubuntu-restricted extras" too) which I already had these installed.

How to configure Amarok to add scripts (functions) to your Amarok music player:

Bring up Amarok click "settings" in the toolbar, "configure Amarok", click "scripts" on left side, click "manage scripts" on lower right side, when the window shows up, you can select various scripts (functions) that you may want to use in Amarok. I usually install only those items with 3 or more stars, and after reading detail descriptions too. You can select ratings on the right side to sort the list of script functions by their rating stars.

I Highly recommend installing these scripts: "recordstream", "ultimate lyrics", "shoutcast", any country's streaming options or music Genre you like, "copycover2", etc... If you use "iPod", "iPad", iphone, etc... you can search for various "ios" scripts as well. Make sure the scripts you have installed are enabled & checked, along with "automatically update built-in scripts" option.

Under the "plugins" section of "configure Amarok", there are also options you should look at and enable (check) if you need, or want, them including those for "iPod", "iPad", iphone, Amazon music store, etc...

*** You should restart Amarok after adding or updating scripts and plugins ***

FYI: Amarok can easily and very quickly "rip" music CD's into various digital music formats as well.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

1.) I thought It might be a good idea to also provide a video tutorial of using the wonderful Amarok music player and its streaming audio abilities. To view the video, click the link below.

I am currently using a computer that is over 10 years old :? to create this video while running Amarok and streaming audio, so please excuse any little delays that you may see on occasion. I tried to record audio for the video as well, but this computer could not do all that at the same time. With my previous text instructions and this video, you should easily be able to enjoy all your music on your computer and from streaming radio and audio websites.

Video tutorial on using the wonderful Amarok music player and streaming audio. Best viewed full screen, or downloaded and viewed on your computer using a multimedia player like VLC, Smplayer, mpv, etc...
Note 10-08-2015 appx: 3pm US eastern, Apparently, YouTube took the video off their website without a detailed explanation, not sure why? Because as long as you are doing this for yourself and not sharing these "stream ripping" recordings with anyone else, you should not be violating anything, and there are numerous Ms Windows, Mac, and Linux applications that have been available for along time that do the same record radio and or audio streaming things as I have described, maybe not as well, or as easily as using Amarok (using "streamripper"). Not to mention, that for decades, anyone with a computer (which most already have an audio line-in jack), or a digital or analog voice recorder, cassette tape recorder, CD or DVD recorders with input jacks, even some cellphones and smart phones, etc... can easily record audio streams from any audio source with an earphone jack or speaker jack, or directly from the airwaves and the internet, and or with certain audio software applications, and then convert them into digital audio files if they wanted to? And, everyone knows that If you find something that you like, that is actually currently being sold, because not all of these audio streams and songs are available for purchase or being sold under copyright, and that purchasing those will give you much better quality audio recordings than can be attained by these other recording methods. Obviously, these performers and the radio stations and streaming websites, want their music, and or audio content, to be heard or they would not be playing them. It is just very convenient to be able to record these to be listened to when the listener wants to listen to them, and because some of these streaming sites are only streaming in certain countries, and only at certain times of the day or night.

Anyway, you can use my previous post's written instructions.
2.) Below is another link with another written (text) tutorial by me on using Armarok in general (on pages 1 & 2) in a previous post about "The Best Music Player" which you might find interesting and useful.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20

Hope this helps ...
Amarok Music Player - showing its "Internet" options  for streaming radio and audio, Click link above for video.
Amarok Music Player - showing its "Internet" options for streaming radio and audio, Click link above for video.

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

PHD21 You're a legend! Having fun with Amarok but finding the user interface a bit confusing. Also it seems to be KDE centric. I have also not been able to discover how to get it to record .mp3, it seems to be stuck on .aac. And I haven't been able to get the "help" to work either, hence the stumbling around in the dark...

Found that the standard music player installed with Mint, Banshee, also has a stream recording option, however I can't get it to work! I installed the extensions, and now Banshee starts and hangs! And trying to uninstall the extension causes software manager to hang at 99%.

Anyway, thanks for the help and everything. Bummer about the YouTube video. Bit precious but I suppose they have to cover their collective arses.

;-)

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

mogplus8 wrote:PHD21 You're a legend! Having fun with Amarok but finding the user interface a bit confusing. Also it seems to be KDE centric. I have also not been able to discover how to get it to record .mp3, it seems to be stuck on .aac. And I haven't been able to get the "help" to work either, hence the stumbling around in the dark...

Anyway, thanks for the help and everything. Bummer about the YouTube video. Bit precious but I suppose they have to cover their collective arses.

;-)
Hi mogplus8,

You are welcome and Thank you.

1. If you are not using KDE, then install these three programs below in the quote box in blue. I do not think Amarok is "KDE centric", and not sure I know what you mean by that. I know Amarok can work under all Linux Mint editions and MS Windows too. I would also highly recommend installing "ubuntu-restricted-extras", mencoder, mplayer stuff, ffmpeg, smplayer, from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, ..etc) run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too)
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
2. As I mentioned in my previous post #2, there is a link (repeated below) where I describe some normal Amarok functions and how to use them - in my replies. I have also included some other tutorial links below (text and video tutorials).
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=20

3. The Amarok music player and music manager is so complete, with so many features, that it could take little while to get used to all the features. But for the basic functions of playing your music, creating playlists, retrieving playlists, etc... Amarok is pretty easy & simple. For the internet music streaming, my tutorial in this post's thread will work. You might have to try it once or twice to get the hang of it, but it is really easy once you do.

4. Not sure what you mean that your recording in ".aac" music file format. Do you mean while streaming, or ripping a music disc, etc...? Please be more specific.

5. Really quick and basic tutorial for Amarok:

The first thing to do with Amarok is to go to "settings", "configure Amarok", "local collection", tell Amarok where your music files are located. Then restart Amarok.

Keep in mind that most functions of Amarok are available from the little "Home" folder (media source home) in the upper left. These options should be double clicked. Once you click the little blue home folder, you will see:

Local Music
Internet
Playlists
Files
Podcasts

Local Music - shows all your music files and folders from when you configured Amarok, AND any CD/DVD, USB drives, phones, etc.. that may be currently connected (so will the "Files" option). If you have a music CD or DVD in a drive, it will show up as an audio cd at the top of the Local Music list, if you double click it, you should see a list of the songs (tracks) on the music disc. If you right click it, you can add it to your current playlist, or replace the current playlist, or copy to collection, local collection; "Copy to collection" is the powerful and fast ripping function where you can select which music file format you want the disc's songs (tracks) to be converted into (.mp3, .flac, .ogg, .wav, etc..) and the bitrate in the advanced button of this screen (higher bitrate = better quality).

Internet - is all the internet streaming options for Amarok which I have already covered in this post's thread. but, if you have a question, ask me.

Playlists - are obviously, lists of music (or audio files) files that you want to listen to, and can be made of local music files, internet streaming sites, etc... These can be saved as "playlists", so you can create your own playlists with your own names, and play them whenever you like; OR you can use the pretty cool Amarok playlist features "Dynamic Playlists", or "Automated Playlist Generator (APG)". In the previous post I mentioned a link where I described in detail how to use these and other links from Amarok too. Of course, you can also "Drag & Drop" files to your currently playing playlist pane on the right of Amarok from wherever.

Files - double clicking this brings up Amarok's internal file manger to let you pick music files from anywhere on your system regardless whether you "pre-defined" the locations in Amarok's settings. You can also convert song and audio files from one format into other formats by using the right click "copy to collection" option, like .wav to .mp3.

Podcast - Is for podcasts and I have not used this.
===============================================================================
Amarok Manual
https://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual

Rediscovering Your Music With Amarok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOJs12miDw0

Amarok Video Tutorials in link below.
https://www.youtube.com/user/AmarokStudios

Amarok 2.8.0 Powerful Audio Player
http://www.noobslab.com/2013/08/amarok- ... layer.html

Google search for Amarok tutorials.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=li ... k+tutorial

Amarok_Main_screen.jpg

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Today I came across another link for a really great program called "KDE Connect" which you can use with any edition of Linux Mint. Non-KDE users like Cinnamon, Mate, etc... see the section for "non-KDE" users.

Using "KDE Connect" to Sync your Android Device(s) with Your Linux Computer
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/kde-connec ... oid-linux/

Remember, If you are not using KDE, then install these three programs below in the quote box in blue.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, ..etc) run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too)

Hope this helps ...

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Hello phd21,

Thanks again for all the info, I really do appreciate the time and effort you've put into this. I hope there are many others who are finding this thread as useful as I do!

I haven't really played with playlists, because I only want to listen to (and record) internet radio, so the concept of a playlist kinda doesn't apply. Each playlist item is a radio station that just keeps playing, so the next track never gets played.

But my real problem is with recording. Every time I hit the "record webradio" button, it records the same station. Not the one that's currently playing, the station it was last recording. I can't make it record a different station! Even rebooting the computer doesn't help. When I hit the record button, it starts recording the last station it was recording. Nothing I do changes it! And it's stuck on a station I don't like!

I thought it was KDE centric because nearly everything I read about it refers to KDE. It bills itself as the music player for KDE, you need KDE libs to run it, and it's maintained by KDE developers (apparently). The Help button doesn't work because it can't find KDEHelpCenter. Having said that it runs fine on Mint, with just a couple of quirks. I've also found that attempting to delete a track from the current track window (by right clicking the track and selecting delete) closes the current track window, and doesn't remove the track from the recently played list. But that's just a minor irritation.

Thanks, Ian

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8,

You are welcome.

The excellent Amarok music player works great for me just as I stated in these posts.

You could use "Exaile" (amarok for non-kde, install anything that says "exaile"), which is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or Rhythmbox, Guayadeque, ...

You could easily use the "Streamripper" program from the command line, or by using a "bash script", see the links below. You can use the URL of the station you want to record, by right clicking the station in Amarok, edit "track details", at the bottom there is a location and you copy that (URL), like "http://108.61.73.118:14070" to use in the command line.

"streamripper -h" will display the command line options, if you are already in your music folder, then you won't need ot specify a destination folder

example: record for 21 minutes (-l 1260) (10min = 600 secs), leave off the "-l 1260" to record continuously, until you hit "ctrl-c", or close the terminal to stop it.

streamripper http://108.61.73.118:14070 -d ~/Music/Streaming_Music -l 1260

Streamripper tutorial - command lines at the bottom
http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/tutorialconsole.php

How to record online radio streams with Streamripper on a Linux - with "bash scripts"
http://alvinalexander.com/linux-unix/ho ... spberry-pi

Ubuntu Manual on "streamripper"
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/dap ... per.1.html

Alternatives to Rhythmbox to record Streaming Audio
http://askubuntu.com/questions/296756/a ... ming-audio

Clementine as Default Music Player?, or Amarok, or Exaile, or Guayadeque
http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=20

Guayadeque, The Linux Media Player
http://guayadeque.org/

Hope this helps ...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8, & anyone else interested in this,

I came across another Linux Music player "Audacious" that can record streaming audio, at least the newest version 3.7 Beta using the GTK+ interface claims it can.
"Internet streams can be recorded while playing via a simple record button (GTK+ only)."
Audacious 3.7 beta 1 was released recently (lots of new features), this is a fast, lightweight audio player that's focused on high audio quality and low system resource usage. You can install 3.7 Beta or 3.6 Stable using instructions below.
http://www.webupd8.org/2015/10/audaciou ... .html#more

To install "Audacious 3.7 beta" (lots of new features) using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: (Note: personally, I would disable this "unstable" PPA after installation, or use the 3.6 stable veresion below)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/unstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audacious

or install "Audacious version 3.6 Stable", using the command below:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install audacious

Hope this helps ...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8, & anyone else interested in this,

In the spirit of being thorough, which obviously I try to do, I have found some more good information on playing and recording Internet streaming sites for personal use. This post has a quick review of the new "Audacious" music player, see #1. And, take a good look at the available "Radio" software applications which can also record Internet streaming sites, see #2.

1.) The Audacious 3.7 Beta music player is a big improvement over their previous versions. Good job. I use the PPA method in the previous post to install it, and it works. They have indeed incorporated the ability to record internet streaming audio and radio (in the GTK style), among other improvements. It does not automatically split streaming music into separate music files, like "Amarok" and "streamripper" does, or at least I cannot figure out how to get Audacious to do this. But, you can easily and manually do that yourself. There is a "record" button (red dot) on the tool bar, which when you are at the beginning of a radio show, news broadcast, or song, click it, and it will start recording it, when the song or show is finished, or when you feel like it, you must manually click the record button again to stop recording. You can immediately repeat the recording process if you wanted to record something else, let say for another song, or radio show, or different Internet streaming station. If you do not click the record button again, it will continue to record that audio stream until you do stop it. FYI: I had my file manager open to my "Streaming_Music" folder during recording to see what it did.

2.) I came across something very interesting, there are "radio" software application programs that can also play and record from radio tuners (some TV tuners have FM as well) and Internet streaming radio sites, like "Kradio4" and "gnome-radio". I have installed and tried the "Kradio4" application from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) and it is very nice with some very cool and good features, see screen shots below, like the ability to set "Alarms" to start and stop recording of various radio or Internet streaming stations when you want using dates and times, sleep countdown timer, remote control, station presets for various cities (probably out of date), etc... The downside is that you have to manually enter in each streaming site, and it records the whole stream and does not separate the audio stream, if it is music, into music files (or at least, I have not found out how to). This would be excellent for when stations are in different countries where time zones play a factor, or you cannot be around your computer for a certain station's particular program's broadcast time.

Kradio - The Linux and KDE AM/FM/Internet Radio Application
http://kradio.sourceforge.net/requirements.html

Kradio download page
http://kradio.sourceforge.net/download.html

You do not need a "tuner" to use Kradio to play or record Internet streaming sites.

Within the USA
Some Current USB Radio tuners for Linux on Amazon.com

USB RTL-SDR & ADS-B Receiver Set, RTL2832U & R820T Tuner, MCX Input. Software Defined Radio $18.99 us
http://www.amazon.com/USB-RTL-SDR-Recei ... uner+linux

Eachbid Digital TV Stick Receiver Tunner Expander Long Range Antenna Receiving Adapter, $11.25 us
http://www.amazon.com/Eachbid-Digital-R ... uner+linux

Outside USA - although the radio portion should work in the USA as well
for RTL-SDR FM add DAB DVB-T USB Stick Set with RTL2832U & R820T Chip Replace E4000 Chip Great SDR for SDR HDSDR Other Popular SDR Software US Ship $13.80 (* It does not work for TV in the US, but does elsewhere)
http://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-RTL2832U- ... uner+linux

Mini USB DVB-T RTL-SDR Realtek RTL2832U& R820T Tuner Receiver, $31.56us
(* It does not work for TV in the US, but does elsewhere)
http://www.amazon.com/DVB-T-RTL-SDR-Rea ... uner+linux

3.) If you have a long recording of a stream of music, or audio show, you can still separate that manually into "tracks" using any of the audio programs, like "Audacity", or maybe even automatically using a sound splitter, like "mp3splitter". Then, you can use a program like "Music Brainz Picard", to "scan" the file, and if it is music, it will automatically locate the song title, artist, "tags", etc..and you can pick from the results it finds, the best match, then click 'save", and it will update the file name with the Artist and Title; from what I gather, this can be done in batches as well.

Hope this helps ...

&quot;Kradio&quot; - screen shot with the recording window.<br />The player window is smaller, but you can resize it as I did.
"Kradio" - screen shot with the recording window.
The player window is smaller, but you can resize it as I did.
&quot;Kradio&quot; - Internet Streaming site setup page
"Kradio" - Internet Streaming site setup page
&quot;Kradio&quot; - screen shot of the &quot;alarm&quot; scheduler
"Kradio" - screen shot of the "alarm" scheduler

FYI: Some really great software applications and utilities are made for the KDE desktop, but they will run well on other editions and versions of Linux Mint, if you install a few files, see below.

If you are not using the KDE desktop, then install these programs below in the quote box in blue.
Depending on your setup, you might also need to install "KDE-runtime" as well.

mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

If anybody is still following this tread, I've discovered that Banshee and Rhythmbox also have recording plugins. I haven't had a lot of joy with either of them though, Banshee (with plugin) just hangs, and Rhythbox will play and sometimes record, but it, too, hangs eventually.
On a brighter note I got StreamTuner2 to work. Seems the version in the official repository was not the latest. I downloaded and installed the latest version (2.1.9) and it works fine.
VLC will also record and play at the same time. I don't know if it's always been able to do that, I stumbled across it by accident. Seems to work pretty well, but StreamTuner2 provides a huge list of radio stations and makes them easily identifiable. I have yet to discover how (or if) VLC can do that.

:-) Happy Camper

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi mogplus8, and anyone else,

I am going to post a good in depth article on StreamTuner2, but was waiting a little because I have been working with the very nice developer of this.

The new excellent version of StreamTuner2 (ST2) in an easy install ".deb" file can be downloaded using the link below, and installed by double clicking the file you downloaded.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/streamtuner2/files/

I have not found any streaming application that has as many options for easily handling an incredible amount audio and video streaming stations as StreamTuner2, literally hundreds, if not thousands of streaming stations. This includes news broadcasts, talk radio, music stations, etc... from local stations from all over the world. You can easily set it up to use any music and or media player. I found that VLC will work with most of the streaming stations, including the video ones. And, if I use my favorite Music application Amarok for the music stations, then it automatically adds the stations to my Amarok playlists. The recording stream function works great and stops when you tell it to, by closing the pop-up streaming recording window, or clicking the record button again.

I have been working on the schedule recording, "Timer recording", option with the developer trying to get it working perfectly as that would be an awesome feature to have because not everyone can be at their computer all the time, and because people are from all over the world, where time zones are very different, but may be somewhere else at this moment, and shows are sometimes only broadcast at certain times; so being able to record a news station, radio talk show , or radio personality, or music from their home land (or wherever and whenever), is another great feature. As of now, that one feature is not yet working on my system, but everything else does.

"StreamRipstar" is a java based application that still works great; need to have the Java runtime installed (usually is).
StreamRipStar download - SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/stripper/

Return to “Software & Applications”