Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Shutter upload is not working?

Post by j03k3rr »

I just installed this software called Shutter. I opened Preferences window and then Upload tab. There I can't make any changes, I want to be able to upload imgur.com
● Windows 10 Pro 64
VMware Workstation 12 ○ Mint 18 ○ Elementary OS 0.3
● Ubuntu Server 14.04.03 Headless
Virtualbox 5.0.26 ○ Windows 7 64
● Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Shutter upload is not working?

Post by Cosmo. »

Which version of Shutter do you have installed?
Is the package gnome-web-photo installed?

Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

ls -la ~/.shutter
and paste the output here.

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

What ever was avaialble in Software Centre. I believe it's 0.90 because I checked their website and seems like latest version is 0.93
gnome-web-photo and canvas thing for editing is installed. It uploads to imgur.com but uploads as Guest. I can't enter my credentials Plugins tab simply doesn't let me change anything.
● Windows 10 Pro 64

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Use this PPA: ppa:shutter/ppa to install the latest version. Probably it solves your problem.

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

Cosmo. wrote:Use this PPA: ppa:shutter/ppa to install the latest version. Probably it solves your problem.
It's the same. Now using Shutter 0.93.1 Rev.1278
I still can't edit upload options. It still uploads to imgur as guest. Because I can't edit any option under Preferences/Upload
● Windows 10 Pro 64

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

You still did not provide the output of the command I gave you in my first reply.

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

Cosmo. wrote:You still did not provide the output of the command I gave you in my first reply.
Oh I deleted that before installing from ppa. However it created back again after launching new install.

Code: Select all

joe@csdmint ~ $ ls -la ~/.shutter
total 12
drwxr-xr-x  3 joe joe 4096 Oct 19 13:23 .
drwxr-xr-x 37 joe joe 4096 Oct 19 13:23 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 joe joe 4096 Oct 19 13:23 profiles
● Windows 10 Pro 64

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

The output looks OK.

i have reread the thread and I think, there is a misunderstanding (probably on my side). You should be able to edit the settings for an FTP upload, but you cannot change (or remove / add) the settings of the upper part.

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

What you're saying is that Shutter doesn't provide Imgur upload for registered users?
● Windows 10 Pro 64

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

No. Imgur is the first option in the list of the preferences dialog and in the list, which you get by calling the export command from the menu or the toolbar.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi j03k3rr,

1.) I just tried the screen shot programs "Shutter" and "Ksnapshot" both can easily upload (export) your images to "imgur.com", and other image hosts, "anonymously" as you know. Then I did a fair amount of research on how to upload "screen shots" to my personal "imgur" account.

So far in my Linux Mint system, the easiest method to upload screen shots to your personal "imgur" account is the "drag and drop" method, see video in image below.

Bring up your "imgur" account in your web browser and login (if you are not already logged in), click your login name in upper right, select "images". If you already have an "Album" for these images, select it on the right. Now start your screen capture program (usually print-screen key) from "Shutter", or "Ksnapshot", or whatever screen shot program, when image appears, click image with your mouse and hold the mouse button down, and drag the image from your screen shot program to your "imgur" webpage and drop the screenshot in the "box" on the left. You will see it uploading. Obviously, you may need to re-arrange your screen shot program (or shrink it a little), so that you can see your browser and your "imgur", image host, screen to "drag & drop" your image(s). And, you can minimize your browser, and or screen shot program, to take your screen shot, then click the browser in your system tray panel, to bring it back up to do the "Drag & Drop".

Note: if for some reason you have a lot of screen shots, then creating a folder in your "/pictures/screenshots" by date might be useful for you and todays screenshots, ex: "/pictures/screenshots/11-20-2015". Then, you can rapid save screenshots from your screenshot program into that folder, and then easily tell your image host, like "imgur", to upload all of those images at one time. On the "imgur" webpage, from the same screen, click "Computer" in the upper right, and browse to your screen shots folder to upload that way.

2.) If you want to try editing the perl script for "imgur" in "shutter" to put your login information, you can try that too. I have not finished testing this yet to see if it would work.
/usr/share/shutter/resources/system/upload_plugins/upload/Imgur.pm

3.) imgur-screenshot
https://github.com/jomo/imgur-screenshot

https://github.com/jomo/imgur-screenshot/wiki/Config

Hope this helps ...

Small Video of using the simple and fast "Drag & Drop" method of uploading a screen shot to your personal "imgur.com" account from your screen shot program, in this case "shutter".

just click the image below, or right click and open in new tab.
Video of "Drag & Drop" method to upload your Screen Shots to Your Imgur Account.
Video of "Drag & Drop" method to upload your Screen Shots to Your Imgur Account.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

Hi phd21 thanks for reply.

I know I can drag-n-drop screenshots to imgur. But that's not practical. You need browser on, you need imgur page opened.

Github script looks very promising and interesting. I will get back to you once I learn how to install things from github in linux.

One thing I wanna ask do you make selections from web browser only? There is already firefox addon for imgur, I hope your script works for whole desktop.

edit: I gave chmod +x to imgur*.sh file. It didn't work no matter what I tried. In fact I had to force close my computer by holding down power button.
● Windows 10 Pro 64

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

I had to add this,

Turns out I can't upload by drag and drop. There's a cycle on imgur page showing that upload failed. I tried from firefox and chrome both same. Probably an issue with Mint firewall? Never had this problem with Windows so must be something to do with Mint.
● Windows 10 Pro 64

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi j03k3rr,

1.)
j03k3rr wrote:I know I can drag-n-drop screenshots to imgur. But that's not practical. You need browser on, you need imgur page opened. Turns out I can't upload by drag and drop. There's a cycle on imgur page showing that upload failed. I tried from firefox and chrome both same. Probably an issue with Mint firewall? Never had this problem with Windows so must be something to do with Mint.
Of all the possible methods to upload your screen shots, and or images, to your personal image hosting site that I have reviewed (so far), the "Drag & Drop" method is the easiest to use and you don't have to install or setup anything. I do not think the firewall is the problem, perhaps a browser plug-in may be interfering; Do you have "noscript" installed, if so, disable it, and retry it.

2.)
j03k3rr wrote:Github script looks very promising and interesting. I will get back to you once I learn how to install things from github in linux.
I still have not tried to install, customize, or use this yet because the "Drag & Drop" method is so easy and required no setup.

3.)
j03k3rr wrote:One thing I wanna ask do you make selections from web browser only? There is already firefox addon for imgur, I hope your script works for whole desktop.
This depends on what you are trying to upload and how. For instance, if you are using the excellent "Shuitter" screen shot program which shows multiple screen shots, then you can highlight any of the screen shots it is showing, and "Drag & Drop" them to the "imgur" image upload section which will upload them to your imgur account. You could probably use your file manager to select other image files and use the same method to upload your image(s), but as I already stated before, the "imgur" website has an option called "computer" on the same screen to browse your local system where you can select what files you want to upload.

I have never used the Firefox add-on for image hosting site "imgur", so I do not know anything about it.

4.)
j03k3rr wrote:edit: I gave chmod +x to imgur*.sh file. It didn't work no matter what I tried. In fact I had to force close my computer by holding down power button.
Not sure what's going on with what you are doing with that script; do not know if you needed to give permission to use it (chomd). The script looks like it needs some configuration, did you do that? Anyway, you can usually use "CTRL-ALT-Backspace" to close a window, or hold down "CTRL-ALT-Printscreen and type "reisub" to restart (you practically have to be a contortionist to do this). There are other key stroke combinations, widgets, applets, etc... you can use to close a stuck window or application.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

j03k3rr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by j03k3rr »

No I do not have NoScript addon. Just installed Opera and imgur drag and drop upload failed. That makes three browsers. Some reddit users reported that it's imgur's fault. It'd be nice if Shutter supported more than uploading as Guest.
● Windows 10 Pro 64

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi j03k3rr,

That is weird, because as I have shown in my previous post's video, it sure works easily for me and most other people and regardless of whatever browser you use, or which screen shot program. And, I agree that it would be very nice if "Shutter" and other screen shot programs would easily allow uploading to your personal accounts on image hosting websites.

Okay, now you could try disabling the firewall, and retying, it. If that works, let us know and we'll discuss what firewall rules you need to use when the firewall is enabled as it should be.

Are you using any other programs, like "firejail", or something else, that could somehow be interfering with this?

Hope this helps ...

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi j03k3rr,

I just noticed that you said you tried 3 browsers, FireFox, Opera (good light weight browser), ??? what is the third browser you tried? I highly recommend to all Linux Mint users to also install Google Chrome browser because it works really well and also provides some other useful, or handy, functions & features, like keeping your "flash video" up to date, the ability to run "Android apps", and it also has an imgur add-on etc...

Update 10-23-2015 1:40pm us eastern: I just tried the "drag & drop" method to upload pics to my personal "imgur" using Firefox protected with the very good "firejail" program and it worked great.

jsocoinac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jsocoinac »

I find that (on Mint 18, with Shutter 0.93.1), upload to Imgur as guest does not, indeed, work. However: I can set ITmages as the upload destination, and upload to that, and it works fine (and without the need for any dragging and dropping). So, problem solved, unless one specifically needs Imgur for some reason.
Linux Mint 17.3 x64.

Return to “Software & Applications”