Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
krapaglok
Level 1
Level 1

Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center ?

Post by krapaglok »

Hello !

I really enjoy VyprVPN. The day I went from basic to pro version (to have 2 simultaneous connections, and Chameleon protocol !), I then realized that I was using a beta version which is pretty limited. GoldenFrog support told me that the latest release is available through Ubuntu Software Center, ouch.

I followed a tutorial which should allow to run Ubuntu Software Center. Wasn't working, read again the tutorial, checked if I missed anything, still not working.
Should I persist with it ? Is there another way ? Like getting the ppa url ? Any clue ?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center

Post by karlchen »

Hello, krapaglok.

I suspect that the support people only mentioned Ubuntu Software Center, because they were unaware of the fact that on Mint it is called Software Manager.
In fact, you may not have to use either of the two, but gDebi instead. Should be present on Mint by default.
There are 2 .deb installation files available for Ubuntu, one for 32-bit systems and one for 64-bit systems.
As Mint 17.x is based on Ubuntu 14.04, they should work on Mint as well.
+ 64-Bit: vyprvpn-linux-cli-0.0.1-55.amd64.deb
+ 32-bit: vyprvpn-linux-cli-0.0.1-55.i386.deb
Select the .deb package which matches your Linux Mint architecture, 32-bit or 64-bit.
Installation instruction
In case there is really a newer version than the one mentioned on that webpage, download the corresponding .deb software package and install it.
Sorry, cannot be more precise, because this seems to be all the Goldenfrog webpages tell at this point in time.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

krapaglok
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center

Post by krapaglok »

Thanks karlchen for the answer !

Actually the .deb files you put links for is exactly how I installed VyprVPN-cli few months ago.
As the version suggests (0.0.1), these are beta versions. The unbuntu release is versioned 1.2 (!), and I am still trying hard to figure out how to install it on Mint !

edit: I am interested in the official version (not negronjl version) : https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/vyprvpn/
How can I install it on Mint ?

laurenaria10
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center ?

Post by laurenaria10 »

Although i don't know the exact solution but after reading your issues i go through different websiites for finding the solutions. However from "askubuntu" support i found the following answer.
Your command returned some errors and I still can't open the software center.

Code: Select all

stop: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused dpkg: error processing package vyprvpn (--remove): subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 1 start: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused dpkg: error while cleaning up: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1 Errors were encountered while processing: vyprvpn[/quote]

and the goldenfrog suggest me to contact vyprspn support "support@goldenfrog.com" and they also suggest me that When contacting Support, please include the VyprVPN logs. Immediately after the VPN connection drops, run the following command from a terminal. However for me it is better to read the detail [url=http://www.vpnranks.com/vyprvpn-review/]review about vyprvpn[/url].

willieaames
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Vyprvpn : how to install it from Ubuntu software center ?

Post by willieaames »

I know its old thread but did you configured properly? Heres the configuration steps:
1. From Terminal, log into VyprVPN CLI for Linux with the command: vyprvpn login

2. Set your desired server location with the command: vyprvpn server set

3. Set your desired protocol with the command: vyprvpn protocol set

4. Connect with the command: vyprvpn connect

5. Disconnect with the command: vyprvpn disconnect

6. The above steps are not an exhaustive list of available commands. To view all possible commands use: vyprvpn -h

Let me know if it works. I had solved this issue happened to me by reading this vyprvpn review.

Return to “Software & Applications”