Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

[solved] KALARM .... yet again ...

Post by rfd »

what's up with kalarm and 17.2 cinnamon? fails to load and is asking for an akonadi pim to be installed - where is that?

or is there an notification event app that's better than kalarm?
Last edited by rfd on Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: KALARM .... yet again ...

Post by phd21 »

Hi rfd,

'Kalarm' is a KDE desktop application that I think will work in other Linux Mint editions, if you install the files below.

If you are not using KDE, then install these programs in the quote box below in blue.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, ..etc) run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too)
Depending on your setup, you might also need to install "KDE-runtime" as well.
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi rfd,

It would help to know exactly what you are trying to do, what you want "Kalarm" for?

1.) There is a link below to a lot of useful system tray panel indicators.
http://www.noobslab.com/2014/08/useful- ... n-for.html
See #3: Reminder Indicator
"Remindor" indicator is an indicator app specially designed for Ubuntu to set schedule reminders. These reminders can be configured to play a sound, show a notification, and/or run a command.

2.) There are numerous Personal Information Managers (PIM) (with calendars and tasks) that can notify you in various ways when certain events that you enter come due, and you can usually automate various things as well when that happens, like "osmo"; you probably have one in your Office Menu. Some "Alarm" programs can do that to, like "tkremind", "agenda.app", etc, ... There are also numerous "task" and "task scheduler" programs available as well.

3.) I checked the "dependencies" for "Kalarm" and it is integrated with the KDE 'Akonadi" system. I have no idea what might happen to your Cinnamon system by installing "Akonadi", maybe nothing, and maybe something that is not good (crash), maybe it just will not work, or maybe it will work.

Akonadi information link
https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

figured it out, just needed to unpack 'kde pim' which installs akonadi, and all is now well. haven't seen an app yet that's as good as kalarm for pop up notifications.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi rfd,

Glad to hear you got it working. I agree that "Kalarm" is a great program.

Just out of curiosity, why not just install the full edition of Linux Mint KDE, since you have practically converted Cinnamon to KDE? :)

I also found another interesting timer program:

Go For It! is a simple, yet very useful 2 in 1 productivity app which includes to-do list management as well as a timer, available for Linux and MS Windows.

http://www.webupd8.org/2015/10/go-for-i ... .html#more

Hope this helps ...
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [solved] KALARM .... yet again ...

Post by rfd »

thanx phd21,

while 'go for it' is interesting, 'kalarm' gives me what i only really require - pop up events that spread out over days, weeks and even months.

dunno much about mint kde versus mint cinnamon or why the kde version would be best for me.

cheers,
r.
ROY428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ROY428 »

rfd wrote:figured it out, just needed to unpack 'kde pim' which installs akonadi, and all is now well. haven't seen an app yet that's as good as kalarm for pop up notifications.
Thanks for this!!! For Mint 17.3 I installed Kalarm, Korganizer and then kdepim from Synaptic. Works perfectly, including the timezones. I've searched and searched. I just can not find anything like Kalarm for Gnome. I need everything that Kalarm has. It's a lot of additional stuff to install, but it works perfectly. Thanks for the info. on needing kdepim. That's what I had been missing!
:D

Return to “Software & Applications”