Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rabb
Level 1
Level 1

Newly installed software does not appear

Post by Rabb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm fairly new here. When I download new software, some of it appears normally, other packages are installed but do not show up anywhere. For instance I have installed Google Earth but it is nowhere to be found. This is on a 64 bit machine that previously ran GE on windows 7. There are no messages to indicate what is wrong. Where are all packages stored?

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Newly installed software does not appear

Post by karlchen » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Hello, Rabb.

What exactly do you mean by "download new software"? Downloading software does not install the downloaded software automatically.

Only software which is downloaded and installed through the Linux Mint Software Management system (Software Manager, Synaptic, apt, apt-get, aptitude) will have an icon in the Linux Mint Applications menus, provided the installed software is a graphical application. Pure terminal commandline tools will not have an icon in the menus, because clicking on it would not make any sense.

Perhaps it will be advisable to read through xenopeek's write-up on How to install software on Linux Mint first.

Then you should tell us exactly how you downloaded and installed Google Earth. Knowing the details will make it easier to advise on how to make the missing menu icon appear.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Rabb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rabb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:10 pm

I have successfully download several packages like Filezilla and Skype using the software manager directly. Their icons appear in the main menu. No problems there. I have also tried to download some usenet programs 'tin' and trn as well as Google earth. They are all installed according to the software manager...but I can't find any of them on the 64 bit computer although the Google Earth icon appears on a 32 bit one, main menu and opens normally.

kardo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kardo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:06 pm

I believe I'm having the same problem as OP. I'm also pretty new to Linux. Using Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64 bit.

I install something through the Software Manager, which tells me it is successfully installed, but it does not appear in the list of available applications in my menu. Like OP, sometimes I can see newly installed apps, sometimes I can't.

Most recent instance was installing mpv video player. It shows up in File System/usr/share/applications as a 1.8Kb text file, and in usr/bin as a 1.4 mb application (Software Manager told me it is 1M, needing 4m of disk space, so I'm not sure if the 1.4M is the right size or not). I can't get it to open from either of those places. have tried double clicking, and also tried right clicking and selecting "Open". Nothing happened. so I can't even verify that it's correctly installed and working. Tried removing and reinstalling it. Still no menu item, and still can't get it to run.

Before removing/reinstalling, I followed the advice in another thread to log off and on again, to force menu to update, didn't help.

Where do I go from here?

Acewiza
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Acewiza » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Some packages may not insert their entries into the menu on install due to any number of reasons. Lacking support to the specific menu system or the developer either fubaring the pkg or being just plain lazy and not doing it at all. You can add menu entries for successfully installed packages manually yourself to overcome this issue.

Return to “Software & Applications”