Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lolol2015
Level 1
Level 1

Antivirus Linux Mint

Post by lolol2015 »

Hello all,

what Anti-Virus programmes can be recommended except ClamTk?

thank you
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Antivirus Linux Mint

Post by capivara »

My answer would be: none. But look here first.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=31723
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

More to the point: You don't need such a thing in Linux. There a numerous threads about that in the forum. A search for antivirus gives more than 1500 results.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lolol2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lolol2015 »

thanks for answers

"That being said, you can still carry viruses and spread them to other Windows machines, so it is often considered courteous for a Linux user to scan a file (using something like ClamAV) before sending it to a Windows user."

Thats the main reason why I still looking for an Anti-Virus. I am not expecting damaging malware in linux rather windows malware lying anywhere and infects other windows machines (including my own). I tried ClamTK but it only scans folders not whole system. I dont really think these programms are sufficient.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

lolol2015 wrote:thanks for answers

"That being said, you can still carry viruses and spread them to other Windows machines, so it is often considered courteous for a Linux user to scan a file (using something like ClamAV) before sending it to a Windows user."

Thats the main reason why I still looking for an Anti-Virus. I am not expecting damaging malware in linux rather windows malware lying anywhere and infects other windows machines (including my own). I tried ClamTK but it only scans folders not whole system. I dont really think these programms are sufficient.
That's a bad reason.... it's *Windows* that needs protection, so you need those crutches in Windows *itself*. And only therein.

If you feel you really must scan for viruses in Linux, use a cloud service like http://www.virustotal.com (owned by Google) or simply send the files by Gmail. That doesn't weigh your Linux down, doesn't create vulnerabilities in your Linux and to top it off: it's professional grade antivirus they have over there.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

A file, which does not get executed or opened, is a dead piece of some bytes. So copying them from the Linux system to the Windows system does do not harm on the target system. The Windows system is expected to have an AV-program, which has the possibility to scan the copied files (or does this probably automatically, if the files get stored there).

Also there do exist services like VirusTotal or Jotti, where you can upload files for scanning. Their advantage is, that they use multiple scan-engines.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

If a Windows user can't be bothered to guard his own system against threats that are the result of shortcomings in his own operating system, then the efforts of the comparatively small base of Linux users aren't going to make a shred of difference. Such a Windows user will unavoidably get infected from somewhere else.[1]
Last edited by Habitual on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Very true, Habitual.
lolol2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lolol2015 »

thanks for the answers.

I do see all your points. My own windows has good AV protection btw but having an additionally choice to clamTk in Linux is a matter of principle for me.

Just to get back to the original question of this post. Does anyone know still existing additional AV options for Linux which scans whole system?

Thank you
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

lolol2015 wrote:Does anyone know still existing additional AV options for Linux which scans whole system?
Most (if not all) well-known antivirus companies make Linux versions of their software nowadays. So just search their websites and ye shall doubtlessly find. Search for the .deb installer.

Note that you make your Linux more vulnerable by installing AV. See this article:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2459760/ ... -says.html

Complete slideshow (pdf) of the presentation of that researcher:
https://www.syscan360.org/slides/2014_E ... nKoret.pdf

But: each to his own. After all, it's *your* Linux. 8)
uberdorf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by uberdorf »

To scan the "whole system" in ClamTK...
1. open ClamTK
2. click the Scan menu on the top left
3. select "A Directory"
4. select "File System" on the left, it will have a hard drive icon
5. start scanning

Note, that if you have multiple partitions and they are mounted, it is my understanding those other partitions will be scanned too unless you unmount them first.

I'm also a believer in having an antivirus available for linux, for several reasons that I won't go into. I personally stay with the open sourced ClamTK because it doesn't run in the background and is available only when I want it. ClamTK does get an occasional false positive, and you should never use the PUA feature because there are way too many false positives to sort through. The other linux antivirus that I have used is Comodo, which has a .rpm and a .deb download. Use the .deb download, as mentioned earlier. I really dislike the linux version of Comodo though.
lolol2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lolol2015 »

Hi,

thanks for your advice.

Now, I found a handful of these pua.win32 packer files in linux by clamTk (a brand new installation of linux on a new system) which I cannot delete.
On the net there is info available that it has to do with broken pua search in ClamTk?!

Any idea how to deal with these files?

cheers
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

Judging from personal experiences with ClamTk, chances are very good those reported files are false positives. ClamTk regularly reported any Windows executable and many other files on my systems as being infected with all different kinds of malware although I knew those files were perfectly clean. After a while I stooped bothering and uninstalled ClamTk. This piece of software is much more paint than gain, in particular on a Linux box.

It would be good to know which files ClamTk found to be infected. My guess, you probably can't delete these files because you may not have the rights to do so (possible system files which require root privileges to be modified/deleted). Without exact knowledge of the "infected" files I would strongly advise against deleting them since you may render your installation inoperable. For the same reason and since ClamTk can not be trusted - certainly my experience and reading the many articles and posts about it I seem to be not alone with this opinion - I would also strongly advise against using quarantine in ClamTk on a Linux system.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

lolol2015 wrote:Now, I found a handful of these pua.win32 packer files in linux by clamTk (a brand new installation of linux on a new system) which I cannot delete.
On the net there is info available that it has to do with broken pua search in ClamTk?!

Any idea how to deal with these files?
Yes
uberdorf wrote: never use the PUA feature
It's not enabled by default, so you had to enable it. Now disable it and never enable it again. EVER.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

DanielR wrote:My guess, you probably can't delete these files because you may not have the rights to do so (possible system files which require root privileges to be modified/deleted).
I doubt that - at least, if there is only one user account. The OP wrote about Windows files and there should never be a Windows files inside the Linux system folders; how should the get there and what should be their task? Inside the user's own home the user has always full rights - at least he should have, otherwise there is a different problem.

Otherwise i agree: The AV-program gives more trouble than help - especially for an unexperienced user - and it may provoke as a consequence wrong measurements, in the worst case so, that the Linux system is really defective.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

uberdorf wrote:To scan the "whole system" in ClamTK...
1. open ClamTK
2. click the Scan menu on the top left
3. select "A Directory"
4. select "File System" on the left, it will have a hard drive icon
5. start scanning

Note, that if you have multiple partitions and they are mounted, it is my understanding those other partitions will be scanned too unless you unmount them first.

I'm also a believer in having an antivirus available for linux, for several reasons that I won't go into. I personally stay with the open sourced ClamTK because it doesn't run in the background and is available only when I want it. ClamTK does get an occasional false positive, and you should never use the PUA feature because there are way too many false positives to sort through. The other linux antivirus that I have used is Comodo, which has a .rpm and a .deb download. Use the .deb download, as mentioned earlier. I really dislike the linux version of Comodo though.
Clam is actually intended to find windows viruses on email servers. It was never meant to be used like that. IMHO this is a complete waste of time. As are all non server usage AV linux programs, if not worse, as mentioned.

I know some pretty serious unix/linux geeks (I use that term affectionally) who have been running linux on their home machines for 20 years or more. I.e. from the days when all linux distros were like Gentoo to install. Not one of them has ever used an AV program.
eagleshadow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eagleshadow »

To each his own, but I pretty much agree with the posts leaning towards no antivirus program on a linux desktop machine, but, if you have to, as stated previously, AVG and many other companies provide a free product, plus Clamav, which I think really was intended for mail scanning more than anything.
Murphy's Law's trump skill & knowledge and are a constant companion !!
lolol2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lolol2015 »

"AVG and many other companies provide a free product, plus Clamav, which I think really was intended for mail scanning more than anything".[/quote]

Sry, but this is not true. All bigger companies such as Kaspersky or AVG etc. abolished their support for linux. I really dont understand why so many still believe in this. There actually isnt something on the market for linux. I bet there wasn't enough profit in the market for linux thats why.

That is also why I started this post. In order to find out more about still existing supporters.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Eset has a paid version for Linux, Bitdefender has a free version
“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.” ― Cree Indian Prophecy

Return to “Software & Applications”