Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fw190
Level 2
Level 2

KeePassX 2.0 - when in repos?

Post by fw190 »

Helo!

Is ther a plan to have KeePassX 2.0 in Linux MInt repos?
tolkien
Level 2
Level 2

Re: KeePassX 2.0 - when in repos?

Post by tolkien »

I don't know, but maybe you can compile it from source?
Fritx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fritx »

This PPA works fine!

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install keepassx
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

HI "fw190",

There are 2 different programs available for "KeePass" password storage, "KeePass2", and "KeePassX", both are excellent and are available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and by PPA. I actually have both installed, but I prefer KeePass2 because it has more features that I like and use, and I did not have to convert my data when I switched from MS Windows to Linux Mint. My version of KeePassX is "0.4.3", and I have not heard of a KeePassX version 2 for Linux or otherwise.

Fyi: you can convert and export KeePass2 data to use in KeePassX, if you want to.

There are numerous really good posts on this in this forum.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
fw190
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fw190 »

They have pushed it just recently:
https://www.keepassx.org/news/2015/12/533

Also the 0.43 version got a security update:
https://www.keepassx.org/news/2015/12/551

As for Keepass2 - a quote:
"I don’t like the idea to entrust mono libraries with keeping my vital passwords :-("

I also don't use PPA's - just to stay on the safe side - that is why I posted this question in the first place.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "fw190", and Anyone else interested in this,

My bad, KeePassX was indeed upgraded to version 2.0 within the last week or so. Interesting that they jumped from version 0.4.x to version 2.0?

I just used the PPA recommended by user "Fritx" which worked great, and my KeePassX is now v2.0, thank you. There is nothing wrong with using a PPA from a trusted source that is "stable". If you are paranoid, you can always disable the PPA after the installation, but then you will not get future updates until you re-enable the PPA, or the repos start carrying the newer version. Or, you can download the "Tar"ball file and install it that way for now.

Because of the extreme encryption of the KeePass2 and KeePassX data files, and the much more secure nature of Linux and their firewalls, you are safe using either one regardless whether the "mono" libraries are used for KeePass2 and as long as you do not keep KeePass Manager program open in an unlocked state, which is why I would highly recommend setting the auto-close, or auto-lock, feature to 5 minutes or less if unused.

I'm interested in seeing if the new "KeePassX version 2.0" has the really nice feature set (available options) of "KeePass2", because if it does, I might switch to KeePassX permanently, although I have been using KeePass2 for many years, long before I switched to Linux Mint KDE.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

fw190 wrote:As for Keepass2 - a quote:
"I don’t like the idea to entrust mono libraries with keeping my vital passwords :-("
I am fully with you.

But you have indeed at now only 2 choices: Either installing by PPA or compiling it yourself.

The question is, if it at now a good idea, to use kpx2 instead of kpx. The list of new features is not impressive and reading, that other features are still missing looks very bad.
So having read about kpx2 a week ago I decided to stay with kpx 0.43 for now.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "fw190", and Anyone else interested in this,

I had a moment to do a preliminary test on this new version 2 of KeePassX, and I am impressed. It read my KeePass2 password data file without me having to "jump through hoops" to convert and export it for KeePassX, and as far as I know that is a first for KeePassX, and very welcome feature. I tried the standard copy and paste of user name, password, and open URL, and they all worked. I have not yet tested the auto-fill (auto-login) features with browsers and plug-ins, yet, but I will.

One thing is, I could not find a way to change the default display layout so that I could see and choose more data columns (data fields) that I would like to see, yet when you select "edit" all the other data is in there.

So far, so good....
fw190
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fw190 »

Cosmo. wrote:
fw190 wrote:As for Keepass2 - a quote:
I am fully with you.

But you have indeed at now only 2 choices: Either installing by PPA or compiling it yourself.

The question is, if it at now a good idea, to use kpx2 instead of kpx. The list of new features is not impressive and reading, that other features are still missing looks very bad.
So having read about kpx2 a week ago I decided to stay with kpx 0.43 for now.
For me the thing about Linux is that it is all about trust - I trust Linux Mint and Clem. 3rd party ppa? Not for me. I also can not demand from MInt team to put that program in repos some how becouse everyone could come and say bring this put that etc.

What is left is compiling from source - never done that and this would require to update it manually as I understand which is also not perfect. Tough choice. As always in life.

Return to “Software & Applications”