Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
macglenn
Level 1
Level 1

17.3 doesn't see files on NAS server [solved mysteriously]

Post by macglenn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Interesting problem. I upgraded from 17.2 x 32 to 17.3 and Mint Cinnamon no longer sees the files on my NAS server. It can see and go to the server but says there are 0 files. [They are there. Checked in different system] I use Synchback Free running in Wine and it has no problem backing up to the NAS but Mint sees nothing. On this machine that connection would be wireless but I did connect directly and got the same result,
Any thoughts would be welcome
thanks
macglenn

The problem went away. Whether because of updates or other mysterious forces is unknown but I think I am reading that this has happened with others. I will file, however, all the untried technical suggestions in case of future need. Thanks to all
Last edited by macglenn on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 17.3 doesn't see files on NAS server

Post by nathanjh13 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't have the answer but I'm glad you posted as I was about to upgrade also. Which NAS can I ask? Thanks

macglenn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macglenn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:45 pm

The NAS is a Buffalo ls210d5e3 I have had no other problems with accessing it from both Windows and Mint 17.2 and one other flavour of Ubuntu based Linux.
macglenn

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:57 am

Try mounting it with a cifs mount and see if that fixes things.

Note: This is going to be an iterative process to find the right set of options I'm afraid since most NAS's - even new ones - run such old versions of samba.

[1] Create a mount point for your nas. Put it in your home folder. So for example for me it would be:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /home/altair/NAS
[2] Make sure cifs-utils is installed:

sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
[3] Then do a manual mount of the NAS. Here's is where it becomes a trial and error process:

If your nas allows guest access:

sudo mount -t cifs //nas/share /home/altair/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,nounix
If your nas requires credentials:

sudo mount -t cifs //nas/share /home/altair/NAS -o username=nas-user-name,password=nas-password,uid=1000,nounix
Replace:
nas = with the host name or ip address of the nas
share = with the folder being shared on the nas
nas-user-name and nas-password = with the user name and password required on the nas.
1000 = with the uid of your user. To find out run:

id
As I stated before most NAS devices use very old versions of samba so you may be forced to select an earlier version of security to gain access (sec=ntlm):

sudo mount -t cifs //nas/share /home/altair/NAS -o guest,uid=1000,nounix,sec=ntlm

sudo mount -t cifs //nas/share /home/altair/NAS -o username=nas-user-name,password=nas-password,uid=1000,nounix,sec=ntlm
Note: To unmount the NAS:

sudo umount /home/altair/NAS
If that works we can add something to /etc/fstab so that you don't have to run terminal commands to mount and unmount.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Just a quick note to say you're not alone. Updated from Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon x64 last night and I can't get to the files on my Asustor AS5002T NAS using my samba mount point. I'll start looking at altair4's suggestions.

EDIT: Documenting what I'm seeing so far --

- I can use my browser to see the NAS just fine and all the files show up there.
- The mount point I'd set up a /mnt/Samba is still in the file system.
- cifs-utils is already installed and the latest version
- My /etc/fstab still has the following entry for mounting the thing:

# mount NAS as CIFS
//192.168.1.222/home /mnt/Samba cifs defaults,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/home/dave/secret.txt,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
- I'm not familiar enough with mount to know what I'm seeing, but it looks like that mount point isn't showing up with a mount command:

dave@dave-mint ~ $ mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (rw)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /home type ext4 (rw,noatime)
/dev/sda2 on /boot/efi type vfat (rw,noatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /home/dave/DataDrive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=dave)
- I'm not sure yet what the very last entry (110 (sambashare)) in the "id" command means, but the uid, gid, and groups look correct:

dave@dave-mint ~ $ id
uid=1000(dave) gid=1000(dave) groups=1000(dave),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),108(lpadmin),110(sambashare)
*** MOST IMPORTANT PART ***
- Manually mounting with the following works:

dave@dave-mint ~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.222/home /mnt/Samba -o credentials=/home/dave/secret.txt,uid=1000,nounix
Now I just need to figure out which of the differences between that and what's in my /etc/fstab is causing the issues.
Last edited by eatenimpinia on Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Run the following command to force a mount and post any error:

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:21 pm

altair4 wrote:Run the following command to force a mount and post any error:

sudo mount -a
Odd. Between my previous edit to my post and your reply, above, I'd gotten your suggestion of a manual mount to work. I then rebooted and the samba share was still there. I'm pretty sure manual mounts don't survive reboots (I could be wrong though), so I manually unmounted it, saw that it really was gone via the plain old mount command, and then did a "sudo mount -a" without errors. The share is there. I guess the manual mount must have knocked the fat electron out of the wire that was blocking the fstab mount from working :P . I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it will continue to work.

On my part, thanks. Hopefully, the OP will get his system working, too.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:25 pm

- Manually mounting with the following works:
In your case it may be the line in fstab is executing before the network is up. If that happens the system doesn't go back to try again.

Where I was headed in my original post - assuming it fixed his problem - was to go with an entry like this in fstab:

//nas/share /home/altair/NAS cifs username=nas-user-name,password=nas-password,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,nounix,noauto,user 0 0
noauto = actually means that it will not mount at boot.
user = gives an ordinary user the ability to mount it without becoming root.

I placed it in the home directory ( will also work under /media ) so that it appears in the file manager as an unmounted but available share. You click on it and it mounts. Once mounted you right click it to select unmount. This approximates what nemo / thunar / whatever does.

If you really wanted it to mount at login all you need do is add a new entry in your Startup Applications with this command:

mount /home/altair/NAS
The system will check fstab to see if you are allowed to do that, sees the "user" option, then mounts the share with the options you specified.

Either way the chances are better at login time that the network is up than when the system boots.

EDIT: BTW, Mint has the wrong gid for sambashare - well, it's different than ubuntu from which it was created which I find odd. Anyway, sambashare group membership determines whether or not you can create a share in your file manager.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:45 pm

altair4 wrote:In your case it may be the line in fstab is executing before the network is up. If that happens the system doesn't go back to try again.
From what I've been able to find, the "_netdev" option in my fstab entry is supposed to delay mounting of the device until the network is up. This is the first time I've had any issue with it.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:50 pm

_netdev hasn't worked for years.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:23 pm

altair4 wrote:_netdev hasn't worked for years.
Rats. I started worrying about that when I couldn't find any reference to _netdev in the fstab man page.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:45 pm

It's still in the man pages ( man mount ) and it still has the same description that it always had. It just doesn't work as it used to work. At least it doesn't work as it did years ago when I used to use it.

I think Upstart messed it up. It may still work as advertised on Debian Stable or something that still uses sysV/init.d.

Come next year Mint should go with systemd and I'm fairly certain _netdev will remain inoperable since the trigger for network is network-online.target . I'm guessing here since I'm still trying desperately to learn how systemd works..

Anyhoo, If _netdev fails you at some point in the future give "noauto,user" a shot.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:51 am

Just for the sake of posterity, I'll add that, in my case, this might be a problem with my NAS. Yesterday, the "sudo mount -a" wouldn't work ("unable to find suitable address"). After a bit of looking around, I found that my NAS (Asustor AS5002T) was neither sleeping nor waking according to the schedule I'd given it, nor waking when I tried accessing it with my web browser via Wake-on-LAN (there are multiple reports of this on Asustor's forums). I manually woke the NAS and mount worked. So, I got rid of the NAS' sleep schedule and just left the Wake-on-LAN. This morning, Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon mounted the thing automatically without problem.

Return to “Software & Applications”