no icons of running soft in taskbar

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: no icons of running soft in taskbar

Post by Cosmo. »

And I about the sys tray. This and not the trash applet is related to the problem in the title of this thread.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo, I believe that the OP is doing an experiment with a different applet to verify whether or not the system tray applet is working and present on the panel.

OP, can you show us a screenshot of your 'add applet to panel' window so we can see whether the system tray applet is listed? As an example, here is mine. Note that the system tray applet is preset on my panel.

Some terminology:
The panel (not task bar) is the bar at the bottom (or other side) of the screen, that can hold launchers, indicators and applets.
The system tray is one such an applet. It can hold several icons for apps that are running. It's more or less a container for such icons. Mine holds, among others, the icons for Pidgin, bluetooth, and Redshift. If I remove the system tray applet from my panel, all those icons are gone even though the programs (software or, in some languages, "soft") are still running.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

Moem,

Thank you for the reply! I was rather disappointed by the otherwise very, very helpful Cosmo. I apologise for making a mistake for which I was penalised.

I think I have some understanding of the terminology used here, but I got confused by the previous posts.

Attached is the required screenshot. Also, I am giving the link to the short video I made. One has to look only at bottom left and see how the cursor react on right-clicking the SSR icon. https://imgur.com/a/BvdN1

Thank you.
Last edited by jojopara on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

jojopara wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:10 am Thank you for the reply! I was rather disappointed by the otherwise very, very helpful Cosmo. I apologise for making a mistake for which I was penalised.

I think I have some understanding of the terminology used here, but I got confused by the precious posts.
@jojopara

You shouldn't feel penalised as Taskbar is a real English word that is printed in the Dictionary.

Just a couple of Examples:

Cambridge Dictionary , Collins English Dictionary , American Heritage Dictionary
a row of selectable buttons and icons typically running along the bottom of a computer screen, displaying information such as the names of running programs
You're not telepathic or could possible have knowledge of something that doesn't exist to the majority as opposed to a real English word so no need to feel bad. :wink:
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

Well said and comforting!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Regarding the icon. I believe it's a theme issue (black icon on black background.) Try changing themes and it'll probably show up. If so, you could possibly tweak your preferred theme to make it visible there as well.
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

MrEen,

There are not many setting as far as I can see. I played with some of them to no avail.

Thank you.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Potentially an icon theme issue - https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr/issues/495

Just try a cinnamon desktop theme with a light panel as Mr Een suggests for a quick check if it's that simple.

If that doesn't show an icon then try some different icon themes to see if the icon shows up.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is not much what I can identify on the video, but as far as I can see, there doesn't seem to be an icon for the update manager. I wonder why.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cosmo., that's a good question. The OP may have set it to 'only show icon when there are unapplied updates available', as I have. Or maybe not.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

Changing themes does not work.

Thank you all for trying to help me! I would like to excuse myself to Cosmo for making strain his eyes' I know what it is.

I have found a solution :mrgreen: I shall re-install and make a bavk up with working SSR.

Once again - thank you!
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

I have found the real solution!

You can edit the desktop file at /usr/share/applications/simplescreenrecorder.desktop to do this automatically:

[Desktop Entry]
(...)
Exec=env XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share simplescreenrecorder --logfile
(...)

At https://github.com/MaartenBaert/ssr/issues/613

It is a recent post I have not read.

Thanks all!
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Well done for sticking with it. <thumbsup>
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

Swrrings ? General ? unticking 'Enable support for indicators' and everything is as it should be!

Return to “Software & Applications”