Chromium: Search search engines directly in URL field. Ok?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Chromium: Search search engines directly in URL field. Ok?

Post by linx255 »

When I enter search engine URLs into Chromium's URL field I notice an option on the right side of the field:
Press Tab to search [the search engine you just typed here].
My question:
Does this mean guugle first passes these searches through their server and then to the search engine, or does it just pass the URL directly to the search engine field by downloading the search engine code and automatically plugging in the terms? ( Or what have you. )

For me the whole point in using non-guugle search engines would be defeated which would make this an absurd feature.

Not surprisingly I found no articles explaining the back end implementation of this feature and unfortunately I don't know how to reverse engineer this kind of application. :(

Thanks, really curious about this; I'm trying to follow these kinds of trends.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
cwsnyder

Re: Chromium: Search search engines directly in URL field.

Post by cwsnyder »

I would not necessarily trust that any search in the URL field does not go to the default search engine for Chromium before it goes to a third party search engine. After you have changed your default search engine, then I might trust that it should not be sent on.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

But whether or not I've changed my default search engine, the option to press Tab will access the search terms in the engine I specified in the URL, which means that information either gets plugged into the search page code on my machine or otherwise chromium may pass that search through a guugle server, right?

Because when you say "before it goes to a third party search engine" I think you're talking about something else unless I misunderstand. And I hope to clarify: this tab option can relay my search to a third party search engine, yes, but my question is, does it necessarily pass through a guugle or other SERVER before reaching the third party search engine, or does the chromium software simply generate the URL that contains my search results?

Thanks again.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

The way I understand the way the code would work, if you use Tab to select your search engine, your search request will first go to a Google server to determine what search engine you require, and only then would your request be passed on to Duckduckgo or whatever search engine you require.

There are AFAIK, only two ways around this behavior for Chrome/Chromium:
  • Change your default search engine prior to the search. You may want or need to change it back after the search.
  • Change first to the new search engine search page, then type your search in the search engine box, not the URL field.

Return to “Software & Applications”