Mint on new Asus Zenbook UX305 - problems - NEW

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint on new Asus Zenbook UX305 - problems - NEW

Post by overkill22 »

MagicMint wrote: Could you please post the contents of your ~/.xsettingsd ?

here my ~/.xsettingsd

Code: Select all

Gdk/UnscaledDPI 137625
Net/CursorBlink 1
Gtk/RecentFilesMaxAge -1
Net/EnableInputFeedbackSounds 0
Gtk/FontName "Noto Sans 9"
Net/DoubleClickTime 400
Gtk/ShellShowsAppMenu 0
Xft/Hinting 1
Gtk/Modules ""
Gtk/IMStatusStyle "callback"
Gtk/CursorThemeName "Adwaita"
Gtk/IMModule ""
Gtk/CanChangeAccels 0
Gtk/ToolbarStyle "both-horiz"
Xft/RGBA "rgb"
Gtk/ColorPalette "black:white:gray50:red:purple:blue:light blue:green:yellow:orange:lavender:brown:goldenrod4:dodger blue:pink:light green:gray10:gray30:gray75:gray90"
Gtk/ShowUnicodeMenu 1
Xft/HintStyle "hintslight"
Net/EnableEventSounds 0
Gtk/MenuBarAccel "F10"
Gtk/ToolbarIconSize "large"
Gtk/ButtonImages 0
Gdk/WindowScalingFactor 1
Gtk/IMPreeditStyle "callback"
Gtk/TimeoutInitial 200
Xft/Antialias 1
Gtk/CursorBlinkTimeout 10
Net/DndDragThreshold 8
Gtk/ColorScheme ""
Gtk/MenuImages 1
Gtk/KeyThemeName "Default"
Gtk/EnableAnimations 1
Gtk/RecentFilesEnabled 1
Net/SoundThemeName "LinuxMint"
Net/CursorBlinkTime 1200
Gtk/ShowInputMethodMenu 1
Net/ThemeName "Mint-X-Orange"
Gtk/DecorationLayout "menu:minimize,maximize,close"
Gtk/ShellShowsMenubar 0
Net/IconThemeName "Ultra-Flat-Orange-Bright"
Net/FallbackIconTheme "gnome"
Gtk/CursorThemeSize 24
Gtk/TimeoutRepeat 20
Gtk/AutoMnemonics 1
Xft/DPI 169984
MagicMint

Post by MagicMint »

You’ve got the following entry in your settings which is causing trouble to xsettingsd:
Gtk/RecentFilesMaxAge -1
Although -1 is a perfectly legal value for this particular setting (it means that old files in the recent files list will never be cleared), negative values are known to prevent xsettingsd from parsing its configuration file. The problem has been fixed on Aug 14, 2014, but it doesn’t seem to have found its way into Ubuntu 14.04 / LM 17.x.

You can work around this easily, though. All you have to do is to set System Settings› Preferences› Privacy› Recent Files: Never forget old files› to Off :)
tuz100

Post by tuz100 »

overkill22 wrote:EDIT: 10/01/2016 - edit solved problems and add new problems

Hi guys,
I'm trying linux mint on my new asus zenbook UX305FA before installing and deleting windows10.

I have a couple of problems and would like to know if anyone has a solution for that or if I just have to deal with them:

1) SCREEN RESOLUTION: on a 13" screen, the resolution 1920x1080 make everything super small. on windows 10 you don't notice this, in mint 17.3 yes. on a browser I can always zoom in (even if it will be annoying to have to zoom in every time), but this is not a solution for other applications. How to solve this? --> I partially improved the resolution by adjusting manually every browser settings (chrome and firefox), but still looking for better solutions.

2) TRACKPAD: the trackpad is suuuuper slow. Moving around this huge desktop takes me always a coupe of "swipes". Windows 10 was working good. Here in mint, under "mouse" I tried to set the "acceleration" but it doesnt do what I want. "sensitivity" doesnt do anything. --> I adjusted a bit the settings, and installed kernel 4.2, but at the moment I'm using an esternal mouse, will do a better report about the trackpad later on

3) [SOLVED] DISPLAY: while scrolling up and down the pages in firefox, I can see some horizontal lines. same goes if I play movies. I think is something related to the graphic card. any advice? --> I'm no noticing this anymore, but didn't do anything specific to solve that problem. It seems that it went away by itself.

4) [SOLVED] USB 3.0: the usb 3.0 super charge option seems not working. at the moment charging the phone on this port gives the same amount of current as the others (460mA). it should be 1000mA. Any solution? --> I guess the kernel 4.2 solved the problem. Now I can charge the phone from the usb 3.0 even when the laptop is off and the giving power is 1000mA.

EDIT:

5) Brightness level is set at 100% after every reboot. It doesn't keep the last parameter (ex if I off the computer using 40% brightness, it will restart however with 100%).

6) Brightness button. The fn+F3 and fn+F4 is a known bug, I'm looking for a workaround that let me using the fn button. xbacklight workaround doesn't goes with the fn button, that's because the keyboard shortcuts in cinnamon does't accept the fn button, I guess. I'm looking to use xbindkeys but not sure if this is working too.

7) Sound very weak. The speaker are super weak, impossible to play a movie even with VLC with 200% volume. The bass are totally gone. Any suggestion?

8) fn+F2 not working anymore. This is a new problem, when I installed cinnamon at first, it was working (put the laptop in flight mode), now it is not working anymore. Don't know why. I tried with the old kernel, but still not working. Any suggestion?
I really would like to use mint on this computer as I'm using it for long time now, but these could be huge issues for me. i hope there is a solution.

Thank you
Hello, fellow UX305 owner here. I've been using Linux Mint 17.2 and 17.3 on my machine since I bought it last November.

I recognise some of the problems you have, I'm probably not able to offer you any more solutions right now but I'd like to comment on some of your issues and how I feel about them.

1) - SCREEN RESOLUTION - When I first got the laptop I found the text size to be a little small, I tweaked the font scaling in Settings>Fonts but I remember the main thing I found was that the panel text seemed too small so then in Settings>Panel I used custom panel size and allow cinnamon to scale panel text and icons to panel size. I'm not sure if the panel size improved with 17.3 or if I just got used to the DPI as it is because now I use the default settings for it and font scaling to 1.0 and I am completely happy with it.

2) TRACKPAD - I had problems with it at first, I put the acceleration and speed sliders to full, I can go from 1 corner of the screen to the other in 1 swipe easily so it doesn't seem as bad as you claim, for me at least. Despite this increasing the sensitivity would be nice. The main issue I had was with palm detection not being turned on by default. I used xinput to turn this on and adjust the detection parameters and now the palm detection works but sometimes it seems taps are missed. There are a lot of parameters for the touchpad in xinput and I'm sure with some fiddling it could be possible to increase the sensitivity.

3) Display - never had a problem with the graphics (except for font corruption after suspend - see below), I've run Portal and a couple of steam games on it and they work well enough at 720p resolution, I tried the same games under the 4.2 kernel and did not see any particular difference in performance.

4) USB - never had a problem with USB fast charging even on the old kernel, it always charged when the latpop was turned off (as long as it was above the min battery charge which you can set in the BIOS) have never checked the mA output but it seemed quick so never had reason to.

5/6) BRIGHTNESS - I got around the brightness issue by using a script to set the brightness to 20% on startup. This is good enough for me considering the brightness is changeable from the power applet but it would be nice to see the function keys working, maybe in a newer kernel this works? If you find out let me know.

7) SOUND - speakers are tiny, it's an ultra thin laptop. not specific to OS.

8) Flight mode - this function key has never worked for me on 17.2 or 17.3 the light on the button comes on when i switch on bluetooth - maybe that's why you thought it was working/ not really an issue for me.

OTHER ISSUES

BATTERY APPLET - the battery applet sometimes did not update that the AC adaptor was plugged in. it seems better under 4.2.0 kernel but I only just installed the kernel so I've not had a chance to test much.

GRAPHICS/FONT CORRUPTION - sometimes after the laptop was suspended when i resume some of the fonts are corrupted, from the login screen and in my applications. the only thing that fixes this is to reboot. this is an annoying bug, i am hoping that kernel 4.2 will fix this but i will have to do more testing to confirm as it does not happen always. I will post an update on this.
MagicMint

Post by MagicMint »

tuz100 wrote:5/6) BRIGHTNESS - I got around the brightness issue by using a script to set the brightness to 20% on startup. This is good enough for me considering the brightness is changeable from the power applet but it would be nice to see the function keys working, maybe in a newer kernel this works? If you find out let me know.
I had a few Asus boxes in my hands, but neither worked to full satisfaction with any of the kernels I did try out. That is to say, the WiFi itself will work (as well as Bluetooth), but the corresponding key will always need some fiddling. Matters are complicated by the fact that the radio card is a combined one, and the key has many purposes on a Zenbook:
  • switch WiFi on/off;
  • switch Bluetooth on/off;
  • indicate state of Bluetooth (only);
  • flight mode (if necessary).
Hence I don’t consider this failure as an annoyance anymore (see [HOWTO] Switching Dual WiFi-Bluetooth With a Hotkey), because it makes easier to tailor the configuration to own’s needs by allowing the corresponding script to be bound to [Super(=Windows)+F2].
tuz100

Post by tuz100 »

Just to confirm that with the 4.2 kernel I am no longer getting the corrupted fonts when resuming from suspension, which is nice.

I don't care enough about the missing function keys to bother using a workaround, would be interested to know if they work in the latest version of Ubuntu.
arielh

Post by arielh »

overkill22 wrote:EDIT: 10/01/2016 - edit solved problems and add new problems

Hi guys,
I'm trying linux mint on my new asus zenbook UX305FA before installing and deleting windows10.

I have a couple of problems and would like to know if anyone has a solution for that or if I just have to deal with them:

1) SCREEN RESOLUTION: on a 13" screen, the resolution 1920x1080 make everything super small. on windows 10 you don't notice this, in mint 17.3 yes. on a browser I can always zoom in (even if it will be annoying to have to zoom in every time), but this is not a solution for other applications. How to solve this? --> I partially improved the resolution by adjusting manually every browser settings (chrome and firefox), but still looking for better solutions.

2) TRACKPAD: the trackpad is suuuuper slow. Moving around this huge desktop takes me always a coupe of "swipes". Windows 10 was working good. Here in mint, under "mouse" I tried to set the "acceleration" but it doesnt do what I want. "sensitivity" doesnt do anything. --> I adjusted a bit the settings, and installed kernel 4.2, but at the moment I'm using an esternal mouse, will do a better report about the trackpad later on

3) [SOLVED] DISPLAY: while scrolling up and down the pages in firefox, I can see some horizontal lines. same goes if I play movies. I think is something related to the graphic card. any advice? --> I'm no noticing this anymore, but didn't do anything specific to solve that problem. It seems that it went away by itself.

4) [SOLVED] USB 3.0: the usb 3.0 super charge option seems not working. at the moment charging the phone on this port gives the same amount of current as the others (460mA). it should be 1000mA. Any solution? --> I guess the kernel 4.2 solved the problem. Now I can charge the phone from the usb 3.0 even when the laptop is off and the giving power is 1000mA.

EDIT:

5) Brightness level is set at 100% after every reboot. It doesn't keep the last parameter (ex if I off the computer using 40% brightness, it will restart however with 100%).

6) Brightness button. The fn+F3 and fn+F4 is a known bug, I'm looking for a workaround that let me using the fn button. xbacklight workaround doesn't goes with the fn button, that's because the keyboard shortcuts in cinnamon does't accept the fn button, I guess. I'm looking to use xbindkeys but not sure if this is working too.

7) Sound very weak. The speaker are super weak, impossible to play a movie even with VLC with 200% volume. The bass are totally gone. Any suggestion?

8) fn+F2 not working anymore. This is a new problem, when I installed cinnamon at first, it was working (put the laptop in flight mode), now it is not working anymore. Don't know why. I tried with the old kernel, but still not working. Any suggestion?
I really would like to use mint on this computer as I'm using it for long time now, but these could be huge issues for me. i hope there is a solution.

Thank you
Hi everyone!
I have an Asus Zenbook UX305LA and it seems to have the same problems...
Could you finally fix these issues?
I'm specially interested in solve the problem with the brightnees.
Thaks!
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Sorry guys for my late reply, I was super busy and didn't try the workaround for the HiDPI yet.
tuz100 wrote: Hello, fellow UX305 owner here. I've been using Linux Mint 17.2 and 17.3 on my machine since I bought it last November.

I recognise some of the problems you have, I'm probably not able to offer you any more solutions right now but I'd like to comment on some of your issues and how I feel about them.

1) - SCREEN RESOLUTION - When I first got the laptop I found the text size to be a little small, I tweaked the font scaling in Settings>Fonts but I remember the main thing I found was that the panel text seemed too small so then in Settings>Panel I used custom panel size and allow cinnamon to scale panel text and icons to panel size. I'm not sure if the panel size improved with 17.3 or if I just got used to the DPI as it is because now I use the default settings for it and font scaling to 1.0 and I am completely happy with it.

2) TRACKPAD - I had problems with it at first, I put the acceleration and speed sliders to full, I can go from 1 corner of the screen to the other in 1 swipe easily so it doesn't seem as bad as you claim, for me at least. Despite this increasing the sensitivity would be nice. The main issue I had was with palm detection not being turned on by default. I used xinput to turn this on and adjust the detection parameters and now the palm detection works but sometimes it seems taps are missed. There are a lot of parameters for the touchpad in xinput and I'm sure with some fiddling it could be possible to increase the sensitivity.

3) Display - never had a problem with the graphics (except for font corruption after suspend - see below), I've run Portal and a couple of steam games on it and they work well enough at 720p resolution, I tried the same games under the 4.2 kernel and did not see any particular difference in performance.

4) USB - never had a problem with USB fast charging even on the old kernel, it always charged when the latpop was turned off (as long as it was above the min battery charge which you can set in the BIOS) have never checked the mA output but it seemed quick so never had reason to.

5/6) BRIGHTNESS - I got around the brightness issue by using a script to set the brightness to 20% on startup. This is good enough for me considering the brightness is changeable from the power applet but it would be nice to see the function keys working, maybe in a newer kernel this works? If you find out let me know.

8) Flight mode - this function key has never worked for me on 17.2 or 17.3 the light on the button comes on when i switch on bluetooth - maybe that's why you thought it was working/ not really an issue for me.

OTHER ISSUES

BATTERY APPLET - the battery applet sometimes did not update that the AC adaptor was plugged in. it seems better under 4.2.0 kernel but I only just installed the kernel so I've not had a chance to test much.

GRAPHICS/FONT CORRUPTION - sometimes after the laptop was suspended when i resume some of the fonts are corrupted, from the login screen and in my applications. the only thing that fixes this is to reboot. this is an annoying bug, i am hoping that kernel 4.2 will fix this but i will have to do more testing to confirm as it does not happen always. I will post an update on this.
I do still have some issues but now I get more familiar and don't notice those issues anymore (probably my priority changed).
I'm now looking about other issues:
1) the cpu scaling under AC. when under AC the cpu goes stable to 2.6Ghz causing a overheating of the pc. I tried many different settings with tlp but nothing seems working.
2) cpu scaling too low when low on battery. If I go under 10% battery, the cpu stuck at 500Mhz. I tried the specific setting in tlp without luck. here the original post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=215692
3) the battery life. With TLP installed I get 4 to 5 hours of use (90% browsing internet) and 50 to 65% brightness. how is your uptime?
4) wifi keep on disconnecting. I'm connected to my router, then suddenly somethimes I get disconnected. the router is still on, but I cannot see my wifi in the network manager. I have to off the wifi and on again. then it reconnect to the router. I've already changed the router security mode to WPA2 (WPA-PSK) - as suggested in other forums to solve this problem, but it didnt work.
here the settings:

MagicMint

Post by MagicMint »

overkill22 wrote:3) the battery life. With TLP installed I get 4 to 5 hours of use (90% browsing internet) and 50 to 65% brightness. how is your uptime?
It’s a fairly good up time, I think. I’m on 5 hours without TLP in average, but I do have lower specs.
overkill22 wrote:4) wifi keep on disconnecting. I'm connected to my router, then suddenly somethimes I get disconnected. the router is still on, but I cannot see my wifi in the network manager. I have to off the wifi and on again. then it reconnect to the router. I've already changed the router security mode to WPA2 (WPA-PSK) - as suggested in other forums to solve this problem, but it didnt work.
There are issues such as dropped connections with WPA* in 802.11 networks (probably due to g/n routers) for me too.
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

MagicMint wrote: There are issues such as dropped connections with WPA* in 802.11 networks (probably due to g/n routers) for me too.
Any solution? I'm having same problem with my old hp that now run lubuntu...
eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen »

I've got the Asus UX305FA (with the less powerful Core m-5y10c chip).

I'm running Mint Xfce 17.3 on it and all this Hdpi discussion makes me really happy for my choice, because setting the dpi to 139 is one click in the Xfce appearance settings (see attached picture). Well, I just love Xfce to bits so that's that.

I can get around 9 hours of light use (surfing the web minus streaming videos, word processing, listening to music). I do set the brightness pretty low (it's now on 20%) but this laptop is HELLA BRIGHT! With 20% I get the same brightness I got when I was at 80% with my previous laptop.

I'm running kernel 4.2, though I didn't have any specific problem with 3.19 (4.2 gives better support to my Huion graphic tablet).

Basically, this laptop is kinda perfect.
Last edited by eladhen on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen »

I've also written a blog post about installing Mint Xfce on it, just because before buying it I couldn't find anything about that. Though I didn't go into real detail about my setup. perhaps I should.

https://eladhen.wordpress.com/2016/02/2 ... s-ux305fa/
tuz100

Post by tuz100 »

overkill22 wrote:Sorry guys for my late reply, I was super busy and didn't try the workaround for the HiDPI yet.

I do still have some issues but now I get more familiar and don't notice those issues anymore (probably my priority changed).
1) the cpu scaling under AC. when under AC the cpu goes stable to 2.6Ghz causing a overheating of the pc. I tried many different settings with tlp but nothing seems working.
2) cpu scaling too low when low on battery. If I go under 10% battery, the cpu stuck at 500Mhz. I tried the specific setting in tlp without luck. here the original post http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=215692
3) the battery life. With TLP installed I get 4 to 5 hours of use (90% browsing internet) and 50 to 65% brightness. how is your uptime?
4) wifi keep on disconnecting. I'm connected to my router, then suddenly somethimes I get disconnected. the router is still on, but I cannot see my wifi in the network manager. I have to off the wifi and on again. then it reconnect to the router. I've already changed the router security mode to WPA2 (WPA-PSK) - as suggested in other forums to solve this problem, but it didnt work.
here the settings:
1) I have had TLP installed too for some months, I am on AC now and my processors are stable at around 2.0ghz. I am not sure why yours are so high.

2) I also have the issue with <10% battery causing low cpu but I saw this as a feature so I've never had an issue with it. I think this might be the firmware though as it happened before I installed TLP. Have you checked the BIOS for options?

3) My battery life is around 8-10 hours medium to light use, but I have the screen way dimmer than you at 20%.

4) I've had no wifi problems at all on WPA2
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

tuz100 wrote: 3) My battery life is around 8-10 hours medium to light use, but I have the screen way dimmer than you at 20%.
eladhen wrote: I can get around 9 hours of light use (surfing the web minus streaming videos, word processing, listening to music). I do set the brightness pretty low (it's now on 20%) but this laptop is HELLA BRIGHT! With 20% I get the same brightness I got when I was at 80% with my previous laptop.
WTH!

C'mon, from 4 hours to 9 hours is more than double, I can't believe it is only a matter of brightness...

I've never had more than 4.30 hours... and the last 30 min is while using the laptop in super saving mode that is with CPU fix at 500Mhz and is kind of unusable.

So what's the secret?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

overkill22 wrote:Sorry guys for my late reply, I was super busy and didn't try the workaround for the HiDPI yet.
tuz100 wrote: Hello, fellow UX305 owner here. I've been using Linux Mint 17.2 and 17.3 on my machine since I bought it last November.

OTHER ISSUES

here the settings:

May be able to help with the wireless as long as TLP isn't causing the issue, please post

uname -a; lshw -c net
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

JeremyB wrote: May be able to help with the wireless as long as TLP isn't causing the issue, please post

uname -a; lshw -c net
Thank you. Today I get disconnected 3 times.

$ uname -a; lshw -c net
Linux asus-ux305fa 4.2.0-23-generic #28~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 31 13:40:42 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network               
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Wireless 7265
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 59
       serial: 34:02:86:6b:80:05
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.2.0-23-generic firmware=25.30.13.0 ip=192.168.1.66 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
       resources: irq:50 memory:f7000000-f7001fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

overkill22 wrote:
JeremyB wrote: May be able to help with the wireless as long as TLP isn't causing the issue, please post

uname -a; lshw -c net
Thank you. Today I get disconnected 3 times.

$ uname -a; lshw -c net
Linux asus-ux305fa 4.2.0-23-generic #28~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 31 13:40:42 UTC 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
  *-network               
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Wireless 7265
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
       logical name: wlan0
       version: 59
       serial: 34:02:86:6b:80:05
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=4.2.0-23-generic firmware=25.30.13.0 ip=192.168.1.66 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
       resources: irq:50 memory:f7000000-f7001fff
WARNING: output may be incomplete or inaccurate, you should run this program as super-user.
You do have the newest firmware that can be loaded by the kernel. Check the wifi router to see if the encryption is WPA2 only, no TKIP or WEP.
Let's see what the parameters for iwlwifi are currently set to

for i in /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/*; do echo $i; cat $i; done
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

JeremyB wrote: You do have the newest firmware that can be loaded by the kernel. Check the wifi router to see if the encryption is WPA2 only, no TKIP or WEP.
Let's see what the parameters for iwlwifi are currently set to

for i in /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/*; do echo $i; cat $i; done
I don't remember which encryption was by default, but I changed it and now it is WPA2-PSK and I still have the problem.
Here all the options I have:

Other info:

Here your code:

$ for i in /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/*; do echo $i; cat $i; done
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/11n_disable
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/amsdu_size_8K
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/antenna_coupling
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/bt_coex_active
Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/d0i3_disable
Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/fw_monitor
N
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/fw_restart
Y
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/lar_disable
N
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/led_mode
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/nvm_file
(null)
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_level
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/power_save
N
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/swcrypto
/sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/uapsd_disable
Y
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

One or the other of these commands should help. The first command disables 11N wireless completely

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlopt.conf
Reboot

The next command enables aggressive tx and can increase upload/download speed

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlopt.conf
Reboot
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

JeremyB wrote:One or the other of these commands should help. The first command disables 11N wireless completely

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlopt.conf
Reboot

The next command enables aggressive tx and can increase upload/download speed

echo "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=8" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/iwlopt.conf
Reboot
I'll try, but what does the 11N wireless do?
edit: Just did some research, you are referring to the 802.11ac and 802.11n, correct?
In this case, I'm noticing, my router is set to 2.4Ghz band, is there any difference if I set it at 5Ghz (even if I don't know if it is possible as I don't see any options to set)

edit2: I'm noticing now, my router doesn't support 802.11ac, it is only 802.11b/g/n (model Technicolor TG784n v3)

And the second, what is an aggressive tx?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Aggressive tx enables AMPDU and enabling it can help with disconnects and performance. If I have my router set to 11N only I have to use 11n_disable=8 just to connect to it with my Intel 6250 card

Return to “Software & Applications”