Programs won't install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:17 pm

I have tried to install some programs that I use on my computer and get the following message:

Failed to open setup exe
Failed to execute child process
No such file in directory


What I have tried to install is Adblock Plus, and twoAV's that I run on my computers: Hitman Pro, Malware Bytes.
Do these programs not run on Linux. Thanks.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

User avatar
cholq
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Programs won't install

Post by cholq » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm

Setup.exe is most likely a MS Windows program. To install programs in Linux, you usually use the Software Manager application, or apt-get from the command line.

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 pm

cholq wrote:Setup.exe is most likely a MS Windows program. To install programs in Linux, you usually use the Software Manager application, or apt-get from the command line.

So, are you saying I need to download the programs, and install, in Linux.

I have been a Window man since Windows 95, but an changing to Linux[if I can understand how to use it as it is a bit more complicated than Windows]because of the Windows 10 debacle, IMO. So, hopefully, the forum will be patient with my many questions until I learn how to use Linux. So far, I am really liking Linux. Thanks.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK.

Re: Programs won't install

Post by Old Ruler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Adblock Plus is a browser add on, so install that within your browser's Menu. You can forget all about Anti-Virus and antimalwarebytes. Great on MS Windows, but not needed on Mint (or any Linux distro). It's secure by default and if you don't compromise it somehow, it'll stay like that for as long as continue to get updates.

The more interesting stuff like games (and some boring programs) from Windows run reasonably well through Wine, but there is enough in the Software Manager to keep most Mint users happy and it's the first place to look. If you can't find what you want there, then search for Linux ubuntu equivalents, or ask for advice on the forum.

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Old Ruler wrote:Adblock Plus is a browser add on, so install that within your browser's Menu. You can forget all about Anti-Virus and antimalwarebytes. Great on MS Windows, but not needed on Mint (or any Linux distro). It's secure by default and if you don't compromise it somehow, it'll stay like that for as long as continue to get updates.

The more interesting stuff like games (and some boring programs) from Windows run reasonably well through Wine, but there is enough in the Software Manager to keep most Mint users happy and it's the first place to look. If you can't find what you want there, then search for Linux ubuntu equivalents, or ask for advice on the forum.
Thanks Old Ruler, I have perused the games in Linux and found one game I love to play, but didn't find Solitare which I can play for hours. But I just glanced and when I have the time I will look more closely.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK.

Re: Programs won't install

Post by Old Ruler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:44 pm

You're welcome. Just read your sig. I know the feeling, only it was radio and electronics for me more than cars. You'll like Linux Mint :)

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:49 pm

Old Ruler wrote:You're welcome. Just read your sig. I know the feeling, only it was radio and electronics for me more than cars. You'll like Linux Mint :)
Well, when I was in the USAF during the Vietnam war they trained me as a combat communications specialist. We repaired, set up and operated line of site communications radios. One radio, premium at the time, was a 150 channel multi-plex radio that could handle 150 voice and.or data subscribers at the same time.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

User avatar
cholq
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Programs won't install

Post by cholq » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

kemperhills -- now that it sounds like you've figured out where software manager is, there is a search box up in the top-right corner. type in "solitare" in that and it will give you multiple options. They all have slightly cryptic names, but they are there. You can do the same thing with other categories of applications you are searching for.

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:10 pm

cholq wrote:kemperhills -- now that it sounds like you've figured out where software manager is, there is a search box up in the top-right corner. type in "solitare" in that and it will give you multiple options. They all have slightly cryptic names, but they are there. You can do the same thing with other categories of applications you are searching for.

Thanks, cholq, will try that.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK.

Re: Programs won't install

Post by Old Ruler » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:35 pm

kemperhills wrote:Well, when I was in the USAF during the Vietnam war they trained me as a combat communications specialist. We repaired, set up and operated line of site communications radios. One radio, premium at the time, was a 150 channel multi-plex radio that could handle 150 voice and.or data subscribers at the same time.
Amazing to have that advanced technology back then. WWII stuff was still around, but surplus, when I was a youngster. Wireless Set no. 19. Time flies.

If you can spare 140MB of disk space and a 51MB download, I recommend the kde-games package and get kdegames-card-data-extra as well. Some advise caution when using packages from other distributions, but I think games are unlikely to break the system. They are available via Administration - Synaptic Package Manager. Just paste those names in and it'll find them. The KPatience (everything starts with K in KDE) suite is beautiful with Ancient Egyptians card deck and the Desert Sands Theme. The Sudoku you get is more colourful than the default one too. KNetWalk is a favourite as well as Shisen-Sho, which I remember from way back.

And I'll just mention that I have the best motor racing sim in the whole world iRacing installed and working pretty well on Linux Mint 17.3. I like computer games :)

http://www.iracing.com/

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Old Ruler wrote:
kemperhills wrote:Well, when I was in the USAF during the Vietnam war they trained me as a combat communications specialist. We repaired, set up and operated line of site communications radios. One radio, premium at the time, was a 150 channel multi-plex radio that could handle 150 voice and.or data subscribers at the same time.
Amazing to have that advanced technology back then. WWII stuff was still around, but surplus, when I was a youngster. Wireless Set no. 19. Time flies.

If you can spare 140MB of disk space and a 51MB download, I recommend the kde-games package and get kdegames-card-data-extra as well. Some advise caution when using packages from other distributions, but I think games are unlikely to break the system. They are available via Administration - Synaptic Package Manager. Just paste those names in and it'll find them. The KPatience (everything starts with K in KDE) suite is beautiful with Ancient Egyptians card deck and the Desert Sands Theme. The Sudoku you get is more colourful than the default one too. KNetWalk is a favourite as well as Shisen-Sho, which I remember from way back.

And I'll just mention that I have the best motor racing sim in the whole world iRacing installed and working pretty well on Linux Mint 17.3. I like computer games :)

http://www.iracing.com/
[iAmazing to have that advanced technology back then. WWII stuff was still around, but surplus, when I was a youngster.][/i]

Old Ruler, when I first graduated from AF tech school we had 24 channel tube type multi-plexers and man was those things a pain to work on. My first digital 150 channel multi-plexer was when I was transferred to the Phiippines in 1972 where the USAF was placing its latest gear for the war effort. And the digital 150 channel multi-plexer was a dream, compared to the 24 channel tube multi-plexer, to work on. Our work center got our orders to Nam to setup and operate the radios for communications and just a couple of days before we shipped out the orders were cancelled. Nobody ever knew why the orders were cancelled, but it was rumored that the heat signature of the radio vans with the two 10,000 watt generators running was to great to be safe.

Though I have the greatest respect for those who went to Nam, I have always been thankful for the cancelled orders.
Last edited by kemperhills on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:16 pm

cholq wrote:kemperhills -- now that it sounds like you've figured out where software manager is, there is a search box up in the top-right corner. type in "solitare" in that and it will give you multiple options. They all have slightly cryptic names, but they are there. You can do the same thing with other categories of applications you are searching for.
No go cholq, the windows that opened was blank and a message at the bottom say there was no drivers. I really like Linux, but the installation difficulties are a bit stressing. And I can't even use Linux until I can get the wireless connected. Thanks.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

User avatar
cholq
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Programs won't install

Post by cholq » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 pm

Are you using the Cinnamon desktop?

On my machine, I'm using Cinnamon. I go to menu -> Administration -> Software Manager. Is this what you are using to try to install applications?

Once you get that open, installing software is pretty painless normally. Just search for the software you want and click on the "Install" button. Is this what you are doing?

User avatar
cholq
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 pm
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Programs won't install

Post by cholq » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:58 pm

And I just realized that you said you need wireless connected. Do you have an internet connection at all? I'm not sure that software manager will do anything without an internet connection of some soft.

To try to set up wireless (again, assuming you're using Cinnamon), go to Menu -> Preferences -> Network. This will bring up a little application to set up your wifi connection.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 549
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Shropshire, UK.

Re: Programs won't install

Post by Old Ruler » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:09 pm

kemperhills wrote:Old Ruler, when I first graduated from AF tech school we had 24 channel tube type multi-plexers and man was those things a pain to work on. My first digital 150 channel multi-plexer was when I was transferred to the Phiippines in 1972 where the USAF was placing its latest gear for the war effort. And the digital 150 channel multi-plexer was a dream, compared to the 24 channel tube multi-plexer, to work on. Our work center got our orders to Nam to setup and operate the radios for communications and just a couple of days before we shipped out the orders were cancelled. Nobody ever knew why the orders were cancelled, but it was rumored that the heat signature of the radio vans with the two 10,000 watt generators running was to great to be safe.

Though I have the greatest respect for those who went to Nam, I have always been thankful for the cancelled orders.
I used to like "tubes". Valves we used to call them and I can still remember a lot of the nomenclature fifty years later. Biggest tx I saw was an amateur TV rig at technical college. Could light florescent tubes with it, from a few yards away, but nothing requiring any where near 10kW. I was very much on the receiving end...

Pretty sure cholq has hit the nail on the head. You need an internet connection to use the package system, which means installing anything that way is out, until your wireless is up and running. It also means that you're probably running it without a lot of updates, which would be the first thing to fix after wireless. It's painless compared to Windows update, but it's the same sort of necessity.

To give you some idea of what packages are available, you could browse the following link, which lists (in linked sections) all the packages available on the version of ubuntu on which Linux Mint 17.3 is based. When it has access to the Internet - almost all of those will become available via the Software Manager and other tools, and a couple of clicks is all it takes to download an install them along with all their dependencies. It is possible to dl them from those pages (via your Windows) and install them that way, but it isn't something I've done and I'm sure you'll be up and running real soon.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/

User avatar
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:31 am
Location: Mississippi

Re: Programs won't install

Post by kemperhills » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Old Ruler wrote:
kemperhills wrote:Old Ruler, when I first graduated from AF tech school we had 24 channel tube type multi-plexers and man was those things a pain to work on. My first digital 150 channel multi-plexer was when I was transferred to the Phiippines in 1972 where the USAF was placing its latest gear for the war effort. And the digital 150 channel multi-plexer was a dream, compared to the 24 channel tube multi-plexer, to work on. Our work center got our orders to Nam to setup and operate the radios for communications and just a couple of days before we shipped out the orders were cancelled. Nobody ever knew why the orders were cancelled, but it was rumored that the heat signature of the radio vans with the two 10,000 watt generators running was to great to be safe.

Though I have the greatest respect for those who went to Nam, I have always been thankful for the cancelled orders.
I used to like "tubes". Valves we used to call them and I can still remember a lot of the nomenclature fifty years later. Biggest tx I saw was an amateur TV rig at technical college. Could light florescent tubes with it, from a few yards away, but nothing requiring any where near 10kW. I was very much on the receiving end...

Pretty sure cholq has hit the nail on the head. You need an internet connection to use the package system, which means installing anything that way is out, until your wireless is up and running. It also means that you're probably running it without a lot of updates, which would be the first thing to fix after wireless. It's painless compared to Windows update, but it's the same sort of necessity.

To give you some idea of what packages are available, you could browse the following link, which lists (in linked sections) all the packages available on the version of ubuntu on which Linux Mint 17.3 is based. When it has access to the Internet - almost all of those will become available via the Software Manager and other tools, and a couple of clicks is all it takes to download an install them along with all their dependencies. It is possible to dl them from those pages (via your Windows) and install them that way, but it isn't something I've done and I'm sure you'll be up and running real soon.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/

I used to like "tubes". Valves we used to call them and I can still remember a lot of the nomenclature fifty years later. Biggest tx I saw was an amateur TV rig at technical college. Could light florescent tubes with it, from a few yards away, but nothing requiring any where near 10kW. I was very much on the receiving end...

Well, Old Ruler, you probably understand the nomenclature "or gates", "and gates", exclusive or gates", "nan gates" , etc. When I was in tech school at Kessler AFB in Mississippi the digital stuff was being introduced. To understand how it worked our instructor tried to explain those gates to us and how they worked. He never did get most of the class to understand. Then on day he had the instructor from the computer tech school come to our class and within a few minutes he had us all understanding what each gate was and how it worked. For me, those were the days, trying days, but I still remember them with affection.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”