Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Would Mouse
Level 1
Level 1

Yousician, problem installing

Post by Would Mouse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Hi
Does anyone have experience of installing Yousician, I have not been able to install Yousician properly. I have followed the instructions for Linux I found here :-
https://yousician.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... -PC-Linux-
including the advice on installing a 32 bit programme on a 64 bit system.
when I click on the Yousician programme a window appears and dissapears too fast for me to see what it says, if anything.

My chances of becoming a rock star before the age of 90 are not helped by this situation.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1, Rebecca 64 bit

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Yousician, problem installing

Post by Old Ruler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:04 pm

If you right click on the “Yousician Launcher” and click properties, you'll see a Command field which you can copy and then paste it into a terminal window and hit Enter. Doing it that way should show why it isn't launching. Copy and paste that here if you like.

Would Mouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Would Mouse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Old Ruler wrote:If you right click on the “Yousician Launcher” and click properties, you'll see a Command field which you can copy and then paste it into a terminal window and hit Enter. Doing it that way should show why it isn't launching. Copy and paste that here if you like.
Thanks for your help
I'm not sure what a command field is but when I copy and paste the file path it reports-
earl@earl-NF518AA-ABU-a6744uk ~ $ /home/earl/Yousician Launcher
bash: /home/earl/Yousician: No such file or directory

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:56 pm

You're welcome. When you right click on the Yousician icon on the desktop (that's the launcher) and choose properties, a dialogue should show which shows the command that will be actioned when you double click the icon (launcher). It's that line which you need to paste to the command line and enter.

It may be as simple as the problem you hit when you typed the path. Linux command line treats spaces as delimiters unless they are 'escaped' or enclosed in quotes. If you wanted to try running it, you'd need to say:

Code: Select all

/home/earl/Yousician\ Launcher
The backslash should make the space and the word after it become part of the file name.

ZeckeSZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ZeckeSZ » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am

Open Terminal, type

cd /home/earl/Yousician\ Launcher
(or: cd ~/Yo <tab>)

<return>, type

./"Yousician Launcher"
<return> and the program should start running.
I tried it out with LM 17.2/64 Cinnamon (virtual machine) and it worked without installing any other libraries.

Would Mouse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Would Mouse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi
Still not working, Yousician Launcher is in the home directory,not on the desktop. When I run it in terminal it says it is downloading the programme, it runs to 100% then opens and instantly closes a window just as before, here is what terminal reported.

earl@earl-NF518AA-ABU-a6744uk ~ $ cd "Yousician Launcher"
earl@earl-NF518AA-ABU-a6744uk ~/Yousician Launcher $ ls
version.txt Yousician Launcher
earl@earl-NF518AA-ABU-a6744uk ~/Yousician Launcher $ ./"Yousician Launcher"
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
Changing directory to: /home/earl/Yousician Launcher
earl@earl-NF518AA-ABU-a6744uk ~/Yousician Launcher $

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”