Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TacticalBacon
Level 1
Level 1

games for mint

Post by TacticalBacon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:52 pm

I just moved from Ubuntu 15.04 to Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and I'm looking at the best games for Mint. I don't have the best internet connection, and my computer is an 2.26 GHz intel core 2 Duo. I have 4 GB of RAM. Any suggestions for games?
Linux.... May just be the best thing that ever happened.

-TacticalBacon

macieG
Level 1
Level 1

Re: games for mint

Post by macieG » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:25 pm

I've heard that 0AD is pretty good. If you enjoy platform games I'd recommend Frogatto.
And of course you should try Frozen Bubble 2. It's a classic. :D
You can find al these games in software manager.

There's Worms Reloaded and Civilization 5 for Linux on Steam and if you like adventure games, feel free to try Deponia - there's pretty much to download with this one though.

TacticalBacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacticalBacon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:47 pm

macieG wrote:I've heard that 0AD is pretty good. If you enjoy platform games I'd recommend Frogatto.
And of course you should try Frozen Bubble 2. It's a classic. :D
You can find al these games in software manager.

There's Worms Reloaded and Civilization 5 for Linux on Steam and if you like adventure games, feel free to try Deponia - there's pretty much to download with this one though.
Thanks very much. I appreciate the suggestions, and I will look into them.

-TacticalBacon

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 pm

Some sites to check out:

Linux Game Database

Gaming On Linux

I recommend installing Steam. I have a slow connection too, but Steam resumes downloads, so I can get them eventually.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:54 am

The games selection for Mint is going to be the same as for Ubuntu AFAIK since Mint is ubuntu based.

I think that CPU is >5 years old so you'll want to know what video and OpenGL support you have if you want to play newer games like on Steam. Copy/paste into terminal:

sudo lshw -C video

and

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

You may need to install mesa-utils to get glxinfo, I don't remember. Copy/paste results here.

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:38 am

screenshot4.png
For a casual/timewaster puzzle game I really like Pipewalker. Can be installed through the software manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

davcri
Level 2
Level 2

Post by davcri » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 pm

For Zelda fan this is a master piece :) http://www.solarus-games.org/games/zeld ... olarus-dx/

sercxulo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sercxulo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 pm

The game SuperTuxKart is fun. The music is very nice.

TacticalBacon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TacticalBacon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:53 pm

davcri wrote:For Zelda fan this is a master piece :) http://www.solarus-games.org/games/zeld ... olarus-dx/

Looks pretty good. I checked out the site, what package should I download? There are ones for Debian, and many others, but I didn't see a Ubuntu or Mint download.

-TacticalBacon

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:07 pm

M0em wrote:For a casual/timewaster puzzle game I really like Pipewalker. Can be installed through the software manager.
You might like KNetWalk which is part of the kde-games package, or can be installed individually. It's a similar idea, but it's a network to connect up. It has easier and harder settings.
KNetWalk-11x11-custom.png
A couple I've looked at recently are a nice Jigsaw puzzle game called xjigsaw http://webmayo.com/xjigsaw/ and a Scrabble variant called Quackle. They aren't in the Software Manager and I haven't quite managed to build the Linux package of Quackle 1.0, but it looks pretty good and there is a .deb of an old version available. http://people.csail.mit.edu/jasonkb/quackle/

xjigsaw uses any picture you have, you can set the number of pieces and their shape, and it even makes standalone puzzles.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:29 am

Computer games have come a long way. I remember the first arcade game on a screen I saw was ping pong and you could hardly get a go on it, it was so popular. I built a kit a few years later and we played it to death on a TV through an RF modulator.

Forty years later and I race highly accurate virtual racing cars on laser scanned tracks against players from all over the world. I'm pretty average, but it's a lot of fun at any level. It's iRacing (of course) and it runs on Linux Mint and others thanks to Wine/Crossover support by Codeweavers. I've got pretty good hardware, so it runs acceptably well, but on Windows it's superb as my G-Sync monitor irons out stutters which are a problem on the largest tracks, like the Nurburgring complex, even on Windows.

They are moving to 64 bit only in March this year and the Linux Wine version is only 32. Codeweavers are working on 64 bit support, but it may not be possible, or iRacing may decide to drop support for other than the one OS. But I'm pretty sure the entire PC gaming userbase will adopt Linux in the next few years. Valve (Steam) have said they may not support dx12, but concentrate on the new graphics API called Vulkan.

Vulkan is based on Mantle, which was developed by AMD and then given to Khronos in entirety as the basis for next generation OpenGL. Since then Nvidia, Valve, Google and others have funded the development and changed its name to Vulkan. It has all the known features of dx12. Software Development Kits are being developed for all platforms. Full Linux support, of course, and it'll even work on Windows XP and greater (although why anyone would want to do that...).

MS say they won't support dx12 on less than Windows 10, which is a free upgrade until later this year, but then - a choice between paying for Win 10 and getting dx12, or using Vulkan on a free OS (the price of Windows towards better hardware)? It's going to be an interesting year for Linux gaming.

I should mention that iRacing isn't free, but a monthly subscription and one off payments for extra cars and tracks. But worth every penny imho.)

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:50 am

Old Ruler wrote:
M0em wrote:For a casual/timewaster puzzle game I really like Pipewalker. Can be installed through the software manager.
You might like KNetWalk which is part of the kde-games package, or can be installed individually. It's a similar idea, but it's a network to connect up. It has easier and harder settings.
So what's the difference? It does look very similar.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:39 pm

M0em wrote:
Old Ruler wrote:
So what's the difference? It does look very similar.
So I tried PipeWalker to check and they are pretty similar. I prefer networks to plumbing, but pipewalker is prettier. I guess the object in netwalk is to do the puzzles fast with no mistakes and there's a Hi-Scores feature which bases your score on speed and number of mistakes, if any. Also I find the screen connection positions are clearer than the pipe position on the blocks in pipewalker.

I'm out of practice. Took me ages to do one. :(

Moem
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Moem » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Old Ruler wrote:So I tried PipeWalker to check and they are pretty similar. I prefer networks to plumbing, but pipewalker is prettier.
Thanks for trying it out! Pipewalker has several themes that you can choose from. But no scoring feature of any kind. So that's good to know.

NChewie
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NChewie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:13 pm

OP:
You could try out oolite, which is object oriented Elite. This can be downloaded from http://www.oolite.org
This ran very well on my celeron mint 17.3 Cinnamon, as long as I did not run too many of the in game expansions at once.
Toshiba Satellite Pro C650-191 LM19.1 Cinnamon

gary.zw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gary.zw » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:01 pm

My favorite is Urban Terror 4.1 and 4.2
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 64-bit.
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU Clock Speeds: 1: 1645.679 MHz 2: 2296.992 MHz 3: 1642.093 MHz 4: 1604.375 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 GeForce GTX 660 Ti

wong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wong » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Dwarf Fortress is a little masochistic but strangely compelling.

Emulators might be worth a look, a cpu that struggles with supertuxkart can run tons of classics with ease through emulation. Mame, scummvm and zsnes spring to mind but there are loads.

Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Old Ruler » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 am

I used to like Kbreakout, but it hasn't been working too well for years. Enjoyed Super DX-Ball on Windows, so I was looking for something like it here. I found Briquolo, which is quite nice, and then SDL-Ball (both in the Software Manager). SDL-Ball is really good, but they both make you suffer 'last brick boredom' unless you've got decent power-ups. You keep the power-ups through levels on sdl-ball, which I don't remember seeing on this type of game for ages. They're excellent too. I particularly like 'Aim Help' (See bounceoff angle of the ball). Definitely one to try, if you don't mind getting hooked for a while.

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:05 pm

TacticalBacon wrote:
davcri wrote:For Zelda fan this is a master piece :) http://www.solarus-games.org/games/zeld ... olarus-dx/

Looks pretty good. I checked out the site, what package should I download? There are ones for Debian, and many others, but I didn't see a Ubuntu or Mint download.
Ubuntu and Mint are Debian based, so that's the package you want.

Drygar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drygar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Tux Kart & Super Tux rulez! :D
Fan of XFCE, MATE, Linux Mint, RedHat, ecryptFS, FSF
Open source enthusiast
No security - No freedom
LM 17.2

His name is Linux >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M

Return to “Software & Applications”