Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Linux4Today
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Found, NSA backdoor into Linux Kernel

Post by Linux4Today »

What's with the thread title? No where in the article does it say anything about NSA or any other government agency. Can we please stick to facts and refrain from injecting personal government conspiracy paranoia? :roll:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

d00med wrote:OP is a troll spreading FUD. His account was made today just to post this misinformation.
Huh? It shows under his (her?) user name (on the first post in this thread) that he (she?) joined Sat Mar 14, 2015 and has 49 posts.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

otacon14112 wrote:I know the NSA helped create android; it's in the documentation for the android sdk.
It looks like it provided SELinux ("Security-enhanced" linux) as well, lol.

Code: Select all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux
Which strikes me as somewhat ironic :roll: ....

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Habitual wrote:
altair4 wrote:Between the NSA, human DNA manipulation from space aliens, and systemd what's a fella to do?
Muldur and Scully are on the case.
"What about these reports of a shipment of drugs and weapons being shipped in tonight?"

'Please Scully i think that's hardly of concern to the FBI. Now let's go question Homer about the alien he saw.' :lol:
Donate to your favourite distros!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Chiefahol wrote:'Please Scully i think that's hardly of concern to the FBI. Now let's go question Homer about the alien he saw.' :lol:
I don't think there is an alien presence. I mean... In all honesty, if I was an alien and landed in a swamp somewhere & started monitoring the airwaves in order to learn about the locals... I not only wouldn't set a pseudopod outside... I'd be out of here on the first thing smokin', lol.

Or, alternatively, what passes for an administrative body in this portion of the Galactic Neighborhood has classified us as troublesome, warlike, known to kill its own for no sane reason and (globally) leaderless, and therefore instituted a class three quarantine interdiction. Unlike a class one and class two, a class three designation means that the interdiction is bidirectional. If anyone leaves our little puddle, more drastic steps will be thought necessary, primarily planetary bombardment by 250 or so comets from the Oort Cloud, accelerated to approximately 3% C, in order to discourage further wandering. This has been THE most closely-held secret in the White House for the past 112 years. Recent Presidents have taken this so seriously that they have literally neutered the United States space program, specifically, and NASA, in general.

I suppose that commotion I hear outside is because 15 black Suburbans are trying to fit down a narrow road simultaneously... :roll: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GreyGeek »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:....

I suppose that commotion I hear outside is because 15 black Suburbans are trying to fit down a narrow road simultaneously... :roll:
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't after you! :D
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

GreyGeek wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:
Chiefahol wrote:....

I suppose that commotion I hear outside is because 15 black Suburbans are trying to fit down a narrow road simultaneously... :roll:
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't after you! :D
Lol. Off-topic and, therefore, irrelevant. But a few years ago, I was in my backyard within 15' of the rear wall of my house. I - faintly - heard an odd noise. And within five seconds or so, this helicopter thing passed over from the direction of the front of my house. It was black or maybe dark, dark gray. I didn't have a chance to see whether it was flat black ( :roll: ) or not because it was moving at approximately the same speed that the cars were the time that I was on the Bristol Dragway for an event and walked over to the NASCAR track where some cars were doing hot laps, testing, or... IDK (it wasn't a NASCAR race weekend there) - those cars were going fast enough that I couldn't get a picture by standing against the fence and trying to take one of the cars as they passed by on the other side - and that thing was moving through the air at least that fast. Slight noise, then louder noise (but nothing like a helicopter with the throttle pinned ought to sound, not at all) as I saw it then... I didn't see it, lol, it was over the trees on the other side of the property that is across the little alley from the rear end of my property. Didn't hear it at that point, either. And it was LOW. I know it was low, because if it had been flying at a decent altitude, it would have had to have been 100' long or something, lol, to appear as large as it did. It was (roughly) comparable to seeing a car from 25' or 30' away. Strange looking critter, too. It may have had stubby little wings (STUBBY) or it may have had the body/cockpit/??? shaped in such a way to appear that way from underneath. Who knows? I was talking to a friend on the phone at the time and - after I picked the phone back up and calmed down enough to describe it he said maybe it was some design that didn't use a tail rotor. I never saw it again, and there are no bases nearby. I... actually expected to hear a crash, since it was so low and so quiet, although that wouldn't have accounted for the speed. IDK. But such a thing could account for the "black helicopter" conspiracy rumors, I suppose. If I had been paranoid - well, especially so :wink: - I might have done more when it was all said and done then grumbled about (some kind of) government/LEO employee being able to rattle my windows/etc. at will because they could disregard FAA safety regulations. (IOW, I didn't go hide in my basement, I started griping :lol: .)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
d00med wrote:OP is a troll spreading FUD. His account was made today just to post this misinformation.
Huh? It shows under his (her?) user name (on the first post in this thread) that he (she?) joined Sat Mar 14, 2015 and has 49 posts.

Regards,
MDM
Hmm. He's still an obvious troll. The bug has nothing to do with the NSA.
GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GreyGeek »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
Lol. Off-topic and, therefore, irrelevant. But a few years ago, I was in my backyard within 15' of the rear wall of my house. I - faintly - heard an odd noise. ...
MDM
As a freshman in 1961 I was at a frat initiation when we saw a long cylindrical tube with reddish-orange ports fly silently by at around 200-300 mph. The initiation was stopped immediately and everyone rushed back to campus. For years I thought I had seen a UFU. One afternoon during dual instruction I flew over that area and related to my flight instructor my UFO tale. He smiled and opened the flight map and pointed to a large looping restricted area (nighttime) flight path labeled "Olive Branch Route". He said it used to be called the "oil burner route". Special B52's with radar reflecting grayish black paint and with surface adjustments that make it quieter flew that route at about 300 feet in order to practice attacks on the USSR by flying low under the radar.

Long before that, while in grad school taking physics, I came to the conclusion that UFO don't exist. Like Fermi said, "If little green men exist where are they?" Black-ops helicopters? Definately.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

If we're swapping UFO stories I can't resist...

As a amateur astronomer I've trained myself to watch the sky more closely than average, so I've seen a lot of strange things: bollides, ball lightning, sudden bright flashes,the space shuttle on its final flight, and even the occasional blacked-out military jet on a practice bombing run (only visible to to its silhouette against low-level clouds that reflect a nearby city's light). My weirdest sighting, though, was a brilliant white shape, a little bigger than the full moon, with a greenish tint on its lower-left corner and a blue tint on the lower-right corner, traveling west. I'm not even going to guess its speed, but it seemed to be quite high and covered about a quarter of the sky in the time I watched it. It appeared and disappeared very quickly--I only saw it for 1.5 seconds at best--with no fading in or out; it was here and then it was gone, just like that.

I wish I could add that within a few seconds, I found myself face-to-face with 3 little green men, who just stared at me in awe until a neighboring dog ran up and scared them off, or something to make this a more exciting, "real UFO" story, but in reality nothing of note occurred after that. I've always puzzled over what it could have been, though. A fireball? A satellite reentry? I've never heard of either of these having the same characteristics of what I saw.

Not that I actually believe in "real" UFOs or alien contact. As someone said, "If you've never seen a UFO, you're not very observant. And if you've seen as many as I have, you don't believe in them any more." :)

Oh, wait, gotta run. MDM's 15 black suburbans are crowding up my drive...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Software & Applications”