Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3

Installing WORDSearch Bible program

Post by kemperhills » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm

.Ok, finally learned how to install Linux Mint, and finally got the wireless to work.

Now I can't understand how to install two WORDSearch programs: WORDSearch 10 and WORDSearch 9. I downloaded WORDSearch o from the site because it has to be installed before WS10 can be installed. When the download was complete I wanted to save it in what would be Windowss program files. I have to download and install WS9, then WS10 then a library of over 700 books which has to be saved to a file. But I have no idea what the equivalent is in Linux, or, in Linux where I am supposed to save programs. If someone would help with this I would appreciate it as I will also be downloading other programs and will need to know where and how to save, and install them.

Finally, when I had finished downloading WS9, and couldn't understand where to put it, I simply clicked on the downloaded exe and nothing happened. Thanks.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

cool
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Installing WORDSearch Bible program

Post by cool » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:22 pm

kemperhills wrote:.Ok, finally learned how to install Linux Mint, and finally got the wireless to work.

Finally, when I had finished downloading WS9, and couldn't understand where to put it, I simply clicked on the downloaded exe and nothing happened. Thanks.
You're trying to install in Linux a Windows only exe.?

To install in Linux a bible program open up a terminal, then do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install bibletime
For the very latest please visit: SpaceEdge

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:30 am

Linux isn't Windows, and generally speaking, Windows programs don't run on Linux. However, there is a program called Wine that will run some Windows programs. There is also Winetricks and PlayOnLinux that help configure Wine for certain programs. If you really must have this Windows program, try those. Otherwise, I second cool's motion: try BibleTime. That's what I use. If you can't get your program to run with Wine/Winetricks/PlayOnLinux, you could also install Windows in VirtualBox and use that to run those Windows programs you can't live without.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 am

WORDSearch 10 runs great:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... dsearch-10
and
WORDSearch 9 runs great:
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... rdsearch-9

that's using the commercial version of ./wine - though
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:51 am

Wine and other Windows emulators are doing their job of running Windows applications so well, that they're even compatible with Windows malware and viruses.... My motto is: keep your Linux clean and secure, and do not install Wine.

So I advise to do as others have already suggested: switch to a indigenous Linux alternative (best solution) or use Windows itself, either within a Virtual Machine (secure solution) or as dual boot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

marz12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marz12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:12 am

This one also works well using wine:
http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerus/loader/update.exe
This .exe is the installer. You need an internet connection to download all files. It is free.

(Bibles in various languages + greek + hebrew)

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:22 am

wine+eSword 10.4.0

Works flawlessly and has a great search function.

felemur
Level 4
Level 4
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:20 pm

Pjotr wrote:Wine and other Windows emulators are doing their job of running Windows applications so well, that they're even compatible with Windows malware and viruses.... My motto is: keep your Linux clean and secure, and do not install Wine.

So I advise to do as others have already suggested: switch to a indigenous Linux alternative (best solution) or use Windows itself, either within a Virtual Machine (secure solution) or as dual boot.
So do Windows viruses and malware stay within Windows apps, or can they do harm outside Wine/ Windows?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 pm

felemur wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Wine and other Windows emulators are doing their job of running Windows applications so well, that they're even compatible with Windows malware and viruses.... My motto is: keep your Linux clean and secure, and do not install Wine.

So do Windows viruses and malware stay within Windows apps, or can they do harm outside Wine/ Windows?
No, they don't necessarily stay there and yes, they could do harm elsewhere. Not systemwide (for lack of permissions), but in your user account they could.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:51 pm

felemur wrote:So do Windows viruses and malware stay within Windows apps, or can they do harm outside Wine/ Windows?
All is a question, which programs you use, from which source you take them and how you use them.

Using a trusted program (my favorite example as always: foobar2000), downloading it from the original side and not using it for online jobs is as safe or unsafe, as using a browser: There is always a chance of infection, absolute security does not exist (except you never attach a network cable and have no wireless access point), but taking reasonable precautions will keep your system at 99 % clean. Also a Linux system without wine but with a browser cannot guarantee more.

Malware does not automatically come into Windows programs flown through the air by a kind of magnetic power to everything, what has EXE or DLL at the end of the file name. Not even the strongest serious foes claim, that 100 % (or something near to it) of all Windows computers are infected - but that would be the logical consequence of the logic, that using wine more or less automagically compromises the computer.

Saying that I also recommend a pure Linux program, if it is available and brings similar needed features. Most likely the system integration is better.

felemur
Level 4
Level 4
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks Pjotr and Cosmo.

So far, I have not installed anything with Wine due to the bad experience that led me to Linux July of last year. I was using Win 7, with AVG antivirus, anti-malware programs installed and only installed programs from their source, used the advanced settings to make sure I wasn't installing any tag-along programs, took the advice of the trusted sites recommendations of Google, and about a week after Win 10 came out (but I would not "upgrade"), I got something (malware, virus - I don't know) that AVG and the anti-malware did not find, even when doing the low level scan between boot and loading the Win 7. But whatever it was, it made my system unusable, and luckily I back up religiously, so no data or documents were lost. I kept my backups off-line (unplugged) too.

That is why my system is 100% Linux, and I still haven't the nerve to try Wine. I know that in VirtualBox Win 7 would be sandboxed, but no matter what I do Win 7 in VB doesn't work on my computer (though other operating systems do).

kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kemperhills » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Sorry for the long time replying, been a bit busy.

The only problem I have with some of the suggestions is that I have hundreds of dollars invested in some of the Bilble study books on the WORDSearch program. And it is my understanding that WORDSearch books won't run on any other program.

So I will try the suggestions of those that spoke of wine and see what happens. This is the only thing of consequence that has slowed down my conversion to Linux is the fact that so many programs I use won't run on Linux.

But now it is time to learn Wine and see what happens then. Thanks guys for the help.
Until my retirement, mechanics was my work, when I wanted to relax, my hobby was mechanics. When I was 14 I found a car had an engine, my passion has been mechanics ever since. In retirement I am finding the same passion working on computers.

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 pm

If running the programs in Wine doesn't work, next try VirtualBox. It is fairly easy to use. If you already have a windows key (on the bottom of a laptop for example) you can get a copy of the version of Windows that the key is for and try that out. The nice thing about VB (VirtualBox) is it is free, and once you get the copy of Windows running in it, you are guaranteed a Windows program will run in it - because it is running on Windows, just Windows inside of Linux. Searching around on the Web will find you legit copies Windows, but I'd avoid the ones on Torrents.

kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kemperhills » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 pm

felemur wrote:If running the programs in Wine doesn't work, next try VirtualBox. It is fairly easy to use. If you already have a windows key (on the bottom of a laptop for example) you can get a copy of the version of Windows that the key is for and try that out. The nice thing about VB (VirtualBox) is it is free, and once you get the copy of Windows running in it, you are guaranteed a Windows program will run in it - because it is running on Windows, just Windows inside of Linux. Searching around on the Web will find you legit copies Windows, but I'd avoid the ones on Torrents.
Thanks felemur, but I have already tried VB and the screen is to small to do what I need to do. When VB is opened it only covers about half the monitor screen. When I try to go full screen the only thing that happens is that the background color changes from white to black, but the VB screen doesn't enlarge.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 am

kemperhills wrote:When VB is opened it only covers about half the monitor screen. When I try to go full screen the only thing that happens is that the background color changes from white to black, but the VB screen doesn't enlarge.
You need to install the Linux guest additions for VirtualBox. Then the virtual machine can take over the full screen.

kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kemperhills » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Ok, got WORDSearch 9 installed in Wine. Click on the desktop icon and WS 9 opens and I get a message that WS must index it files. As there are no books, or files of any kind, yet installed in WS 9 I click ok which, in Windows, would leave WS 9 open and I would install the books and then index.

However, when I do this in Linux and click ok, the program minimizes. The task bar, if that is what Linux calls it, icon is present. But when I click on the icon nothing happens. I right click and none of the commands work.

So can someone tell me what is happening and how I can use this progam. When I click ok, why does the program minimize. The why won't it maximize. The only way I can get WS 9 to open again is to reboot the computer. Thanks.

helloimustbegoing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by helloimustbegoing » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a typical problem with Wine. Even if you can get it working, an update to Wine can break compatibility with a program that had worked on the previous Wine version (so my personal preference is to not even bother with Wine).

Did you try LinuxJim's idea as to how to fix the full screen issue with VirtualBox? It's just above your last post. That would probably be your best bet.

kemperhills
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kemperhills » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:22 am

helloimustbegoing wrote:Yeah, that sounds like a typical problem with Wine. Even if you can get it working, an update to Wine can break compatibility with a program that had worked on the previous Wine version (so my personal preference is to not even bother with Wine).

Did you try LinuxJim's idea as to how to fix the full screen issue with VirtualBox? It's just above your last post. That would probably be your best bet.
Yes, installed VB then couldn't find it. Oh well, seems I'm not techy enough to use Linux. Thanks guys.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Post by samriggs » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:54 am

Just something else to think about, I use xiphos myself, its in the software center has sword also and you can add dictionaries, different versions plus more. I know you spent alot on the courses but just for another avenue to look at and it has a great search function in it also.
100% linux no wine needed.
there is also bibletime, if you use xiphos you can add sword once opened then add lots more after that.
I been using it for years so has my wife and mother, they like it also.
I also install xiphos data with it.
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Software & Applications”