[SOLVED] Firefox flash plugins (adobe + freshplayer)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
D-man
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Firefox flash plugins (adobe + freshplayer)

Post by D-man »

Good day, people,

Below is a brief introduction of what I have:
I am using Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have FreshWrapper (20.0.0.286) as a plugin in my Firefox (44.0). It is enabled along with Adobe's plugin (11.2.202.559). It is impossible to disable the latter and use FreshWrapper only. Whenever I disable Adobe's plugin, both become disabled.

I run Firefox sandboxed in Firejail. I just noticed today that starting Firefox I get two plugins as separate processes:
- /usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
- /usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so

Previously, I have never noticed the adobe-flashplugin running. On the websites I used (where flash was needed) it was always the freshwrapper-flashplayer.
Actually in the tabs that are open in my Firefox there is nothing new comparing to what was before. If I do not even start flash on purpose after starting Firefox, both plugins are still there (right after starting Firefox) as two processes.

Do you know why it happens? Particularly, why does Adobe's plugin appear running?

P.S. I noticed this issue after I had updated Firefox to 44.0. I have no idea if it is related though.
Last edited by D-man on Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnymoon96
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox flash plugins (adobe + freshplayer)

Post by jonnymoon96 »

you should be able to uninstall adobe flash player in the mint software manager and then just use the fresh plug-in on firefox

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox flash plugins (adobe + freshplayer)

Post by D-man »

jonnymoon96,

I just updated Firefox to 45.0, and in this version everything works normally again. Adobe's plugin does not appear anymore whenever I run Firefox. Only FreshWrapper plugin appears, and only when I enable flash.

slc
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox flash plugins (adobe + freshplayer)

Post by slc »

-----
I just updated Firefox to 45.0, and in this version everything works normally again. Adobe's plugin does not appear anymore whenever I run Firefox. Only FreshWrapper plugin appears, and only when I enable flash.
------

Ok so I did the update with the appmanager, ran it through but still blocked at the sight, said my ADOBE is out of date.
At this rate, I'll be stuck with WinDOZE for flash stuff....

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Post by D-man »

slc,

Do you have a PPAPI plugin (like PepperFlash for Chrome / Chromium) in your system?
If so, then the FreshWrapper will make it look like an up-to-date NPAPI flash plugin to Firefox.
Do you have both?

If you have Chrome installed, then you have the PPAPI flash plugin installed with it. If you have Chromium, you need to install the plugin additionally.
If you have none, install Chromium from the repositories:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser chromium-browser-l10n
And then add the PPAPI Pepper flash (just don't forget to update it regularly, because it does not receive updates automatically):

sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree
And then add the FreshWrapper plugin. For that you need to add a PPA repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

slc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slc »

SOOO the first command ran ok
" sudo apt-get install pepperflashplugin-nonfree "

Then tried to run the next one....
" sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webud8 "

GOT THE FOLLOWING RESONSE
' This PPA does not suport trusty'
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support trusty"".

Thanks for your thoughts

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Post by D-man »

I do not understand why it happens.
I added this PPA last year and I do still receive updates.
It must have packages for Trusty.
Maybe you can try adding the PPA manually (for example through Update Manager) and write "trusty" instead of "YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE" as explained here: https://launchpad.net/~nilarimogard/+ar ... tu/webupd8.

slc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slc »

I'll try to figure out what you are talking about. My resolve is to just use Windoze as a standby program and just let MS let it age as they make more crappy expensive poorly designed programs for those who chase the latest and what MS calls the best, in my opinion its all in their minds.

AS A NEW USER of Linux MINT / Cinnamon, I am almost all the way into using the program with the exception of that ADOBE FLASH.. Is there anything else as ADOBE doesn't seem to have a place in this program.

In the previous thread I was told to try something but the command was blocked or not accepted. This is interesting :D but.... is holding me back from my departure from having to use the Windoze program... Aaahhh, I can feel the MS death grip loosening already.

I am confused with the announcement that ADOBE will stop supporting 32 bit in 2017. There are a lot of 32 bit machines out there, seems like a big loss for them, but then another company, YABOO, made some critical moves and today are on the market. You say WHAT?

Still looking, reading, searching and taking any suggestions. :?:
Thanks again

D-man
Level 3
Level 3

Post by D-man »

slc,

In another thread I read that you used a 32-bit processor. Then it may not be supported. I supposed you were using a 64-bit one.

Return to “Software & Applications”