Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dallen
Level 1
Level 1

Dropbox Applet Not Appearing

Post by dallen » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm

For some reason my Dropbox applet is no longer appearing under Linux Mint 17.3 running Cinnamon DE. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dropbox Applet Not Appearing

Post by LinuxJim » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:37 pm

dallen wrote:For some reason my Dropbox applet is no longer appearing under Linux Mint 17.3 running Cinnamon DE. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
That's one of the issues I've been looking into, also. A workaround is to go into the Startup Applications in System Settings, and set the delay for Dropbox to 10 seconds.

If it disappears during a session, you can get it back by typing "dropbox stop" followed by "dropbox start" from the terminal.

dallen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dallen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:00 am

Thank you for such a quick response. I have tried that work around, but one of my issues is that I removed the Dropbox applet by right-clicking on it in the taskbar and selecting remove. I did this because the applet was not responding normally and my thought was that I would try removing it and reinstalling it to see if that would fix the issue. Now I can't figure out how to get it back. When I right-click on the taskbar and select "Add applets to this panel" there is not an option for a Dropbox applet. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox to no avail. Thanks again for any help on this issue and your reply.

fabio203
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fabio203 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:54 am

I have exactly the same problem, with the same version of Mint: the applet of the panel got idle, because I think I made some recoursive symbolic links between local folders and the ones in dropbox; after removing the applet and reinstalling dropbox, I can't get it back. I re-installed dropbox in many ways, I did the reset of the configuration folder, I re-connected my account, stopped and started dropbox from command line... but nothing, I can't see the applet.
Thanks for any help
Fabio

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

A workaround: sudo dropbox start

Post by jmg » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 pm

I'm using Linux Mint KDE, with the package "dropbox" installed by the Software Manager. Very recently, maybe since an update yesterday or today, the Dropbox icon had disappeared from the system tray.

A workaround that works is, from the command line (e.g. Konsole):

dropbox (to see help)
dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start

There seems to be a permissions bug for the icon now, since "dropbox start" started dropbox again but without the system tray icon, and "sudo dropbox start" was needed to see the icon.

Other related threads:

Linux Mint Forums • View topic - Dropbox requires sudo
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=216480

Linux Mint Forums • View topic - Dropbox, applet/ indicator not appearing
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=184839

Linux Mint Forums • View topic - Dropbox icon still not ok in Mint 17.2
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=210033

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:53 pm

There are additional details on this and current related bugs and the temporary workaround (which also works on other Linux distros such as Xubuntu), and also important details on files affected by sudo, at:

Dropbox icon is not working Xubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 - Ask Ubuntu

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:43 pm

A more recent and much better workaround, without the file ownership recovery inconvenience of the sudo (root) one:

Code: Select all

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

rbn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbn » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:38 pm

I was experiencing the same problem. Dropbox working fine, but no tray icon. And then I was looking for a way to change the location of my dropbox folder and I got the tray icon by right clicking the tray->troubleshoot->restore all settings to default.

I was hoping that I could get a dropbox GUI by clicking the tray icon and change the folder there. But if I left click the icon, nothing happens. If I right click the icon I only see the options 'about...' and 'remove this applet'.

So that made me wondering, what's actually the use of this icon? And is there a way to change the dropbox folder?

Robin

LM 17.3 Cinnamon 64bit

jmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jmg » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:56 pm

rbn, please try the already mentioned workaround for the current Dropbox icon bug. That workaround also restores the menu that appears when clicking the Dropbox tray icon:

rbn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rbn » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:49 pm

jmg wrote:rbn, please try the already mentioned workaround for the current Dropbox icon bug. That workaround also restores the menu that appears when clicking the Dropbox tray icon:

Well, this simple command did the trick and I can access my preferences. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”