I'm Finally Free From Microsoft

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smccarthy945

I'm Finally Free From Microsoft

Post by smccarthy945 »

For years, I have attempted to move from Windows to Linux without much of any success. I would either have problems with drivers, poor application quality, and Exchange Server/Outlook support. As Linux has been getting better, I have always come back and try to break away from Microsoft Windows but the last piece was how to connect and use Exchange Server without Outlook. I had to have native Exchange connectivity with email and calendar and IMAP and work arounds were simply not an option with my job.

Last week, I started loading up Mint and Zorin on my desktop and laptop and stared trying it out again. The quality of Mint and Zorin is absolutely amazing from what it was a few years ago. I actually think Linux has a much more stable and solid feel to it over Windows. Linux, in my opinion, has finally surpassed Windows in terms of GUI design and functionality.

What really put me over the top was dealing with these FREAKIN licensing codes. Get a virus, reload Windows and type a 200 character code after you legally bought the software. Then after Windows won't activate, you get to try and talk to a computer and repeat back 200 characters which never works. Then you get to speak to some guy trying to understand your 200 character code. Well Microsoft, I am done messing with key codes when you are the only OS that requires such an archaic process after your crappy OS fails to stop every spyware and virus infection with your lame and weak defender software.

Anyway, I finally was able to use Thunderbird add ons to sync both the Exchange Server email and calendar data natively. The email sync module is a few dollars which I will happily pay to ensure further development and support. Both modules work great and I am now connected to Exchange Server perfectly with ThunderBird. And you know what? ThunderBird works and feels better than Outlook!

I am slowly moving all my machines to either Zorin or Mint (Depending on Driver support, etc) and going to be moving completely away from Microsoft everything. Microsoft can keep their convoluted key system with their crappy security software that never works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I'm Finally Free From Microsoft

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums. Congratulations on the successful move!

FYI, Linux Mint and Zorin OS are both based on Ubuntu and use the Ubuntu kernel so hardware support should be identical. Zorin OS 9 and Linux Mint 17.x are both based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. & Zorin OS 11 is based on Ubuntu 15.10 and thus is a bit newer in its software stack and may differ in what hardware it supports. Note that there 5 months of support left on Zorin OS 11 so it isn't the best solution for long-term use. The upcoming Linux Mint 18 and Zorin OS 12 will both be based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (which will be supported till April 2021).

(PS. I've slightly edited your post to comply with our forum rules—no swearing please.)
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oldcharlie »

smccarthy945,
Congratulations! I know how you feel as I wiped out my old windows XP when the corporation ended support and went cold turkey with Mint. I was retired so there wasn't anything but fear and ignorance holding me back. Had a shaky few months but all is well and I am now running Linux Mint 17.3 on my desktop and my laptop and couldn't even be tempted to go back. I made it so far with wonderful support from the forum members. Wishing you the best.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Interesting. It's been a long time since I've seen a distro that charges to download one or more ISO's. Xandros was the last I recall, and its product categories were similar to Zorin's. Xandros faded away around three years ago and is no longer active.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
GreyGeek

Post by GreyGeek »

Yup, shows "Discontinued". The "update" supposedly on June 8, of 2015 is a misprint. The link to what WAS the xandros website is not active and that site is down. You can't find any website that offers it for download.

Soon after Xandros management got a hold of another badly managed distro, Linspire (once upon a time known as Lindows), Xandros just began fading away. By 2013 it was dead. They had adopted Linspire's marketing plan, which was to charge for access to the application repository, just as Zorin is now doing. Zorin is appealing to Windows users because Zorin comes with an application that lets users run many Windows programs which the users can't seem to be able to ween themselves off of. The application that Zorin uses is called PlayOnLinux (POL), which is in Mint's repository, but users of Mint do not have to pay to use it. There is also a caveat with POL. It uses WINE and not all Windows applications will run under WINE, especially the more recent games. In addition, one can spin considerable time tweaking their WINE installation to finally get an EXE to run, only to have the next WINE update break it. WINE installations can become infected if proper security measures are not meticulously followed. I used to test Windows viruses and Trojans by running them under WINE and then examining the detritus to see what they did. When I was finished I'd clean up by deleting the WINE installation, removing all the malware, and then reinstall it to test a different virus. It got boring.

PlayOnLinux lists application it can run, to some degree or other, here. You can browse the list and see how your particular game or app will run under POL.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "smccarthy945",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

Which Linux Mint edition and version did you install, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, or Xfce? It would help if you ran "inxi -Fxzd" from your console terminal prompt, highlighted the results, and copy and pasted those back here.

Linux Email Clients and MS Exchange servers

1.) Thunderbird is a great email client. I am surprised you had to buy something to connect to a MS exchange server? If imap is enabled on the MS Exchange server, you should have had no problem connecting to it.

2.) "Evolution" is the default email client for most Gnome-based distributions. "Evolution" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) that can easily connect to your MS Exchange server with Calendar.
Evolution is an open source, default email client for GNOME desktop environment that integrates mail, calendar, address book, to-do list and memo tools functionality. Additional features include integration with Exchange servers, newsgroup client, LDAP support and web calendars.

Evolution comprises of several components, such as Evolution Data Server, Evolution EWS and Evolution Mapi. The last two are optional, but required if you want to add support for Exchange Web Services or many other mailer features.
Installing Evolution 3.13.7 using a PPA
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fta/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install evolution

3.) "Kmail" for the KDE desktop is an incredible email client that integrates tightly with other KDE programs, Kcontacts, calendar, PIM, etc... KMail - a top Linux based email client alternative to Outlook and Thunderbird.

MS Exchange and KDE synchronization
https://syncevolution.org/wiki/ms-excha ... ronization

If you have imap enabled in the MS Exchange server, just choose imap in Kmail account wizard to connect to it.

4.) "N1" - The extensible, open source mail client
All platforms and providers. N1 is compatible with hundreds of email providers, including Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, Microsoft Exchange, and more. It's a desktop app that can run offline, and feels great on Mac, Windows, and Linux. N1 is for everyone.

https://nylas.com/N1/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi@GreyGeek
I messed with wine layer and winetricks at first.
There were a couple applications that could not be seduced, and a couple ran rather squirrelish.
I decided to not pollute my Linux, so I keep an offline win machine for that and reference
when helping others.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings!

I just have to toss my two kopeks in here. . . . :lol:

I can't describe myself as a "Microsoft fan-boy", but I have been working within the M$ camp since before DOS 5.0 - primarily because everything and everyone I worked with - especially my clients - needed one flavor or another of Windows to do what they need. :roll:

Now the time has come:
1. Microsoft appears to be hell-bent on self-destruction with Win-10, et. al.
2. I am finally going to retire and - hopefully - be able to just ENJOY my computer, rather than spend all my time fighting with it.

As a part of that, I have been actively researching those tools I can use to effectively replace the de rigueur Microsoft apps. The obvious step is the underlying O/S / Kernel - and for that Mint is my clear choice. (IMHO, the current incarnations of Ubuntu are Ubuntu's answer to Win-10 - Horrid.)

I've been using Outlook for eons, as I needed compatibility with "work" servers and prior attempts to attach to an Exchange server were not working well. However - with retirement looming, that's no longer an issue. All I need to do now is figure out how to get all my e-mail and rules out of Outlook and into something like Thunderbird again!

With regard to "payware" Linux apps, they are rare. However one app I use is Ultra Edit - it's been a favorite of mine on Windows since the mid '90's, (When they released it for Linux I grabbed it!), and I use it still. You can open, view, and edit anything. And I mean literally ANYTHING - be it binary, hex, text, WIndows text, MAC text, desktop shortcuts, source-files, you name it. I willingly paid the Benjamins as it was, and is, a good piece of work. (I get so frustrated with the stock Linux editors puking with the "Uh, I don't now what this file is" error dialogs. I just open them with Ultra Edit, and I'm done!)

I am glad to hear that you've successfully made the break as it gives me (and others!) confidence to attack this thorny problem yet again.

Now, if I could just find an open-source alternative to Skype (that would worth with other people who have Skype) . . . :(

Thanks for the update!!

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Oh, I forgot. . .

is hysterical! I love it! (Now all I have to do is figure out how to replace the stock Windows startup graphic with this. . .)

Where do you guys FIND these things?! :lol:

Jim (JR)
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
OH6IH

Post by OH6IH »

Hi !

I also try to get free from Microsoft and if possible also from Google, maybe Facebook too.

I'm still using gmail, but want to get rid of it if possible. I have two new email-accounts at my local internetoperator + two old gmail accounts. I may handle all accounts within Thunderbird.

I'm not sure about Outlook, but if it's possible to add that account to Thunderbird, I should assume that you may drag and drop all outlookmails to your new email-account.

I did not see an answer to your question re. Skype - I have the same need, I want stop using Skype, but still have contact to Skype-users. Have you any suggestion?

I also should like to stop using Google Chrome for films/videos that need Silverlight or something similar (Moonlight?).

Example: http://www.katsomo.fi/#!/jakso/567433?toista
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Welcome aboard and well done on ditching your old tired OS for a new shiny improved version :wink:

I've been MS free all round at home for a few years now and have even managed to be google free by opting for SailfishOS on the mobile too, it's great, I can SSH into my phone from any machine around the house and the file system and layouts are consistent and familiar all round. My computing has never been so trouble free and easy, no more random downloads for software, no EULA's no keys, no malware, no viruses and no aggro!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

smccarthy945 wrote:Anyway, I finally was able to use Thunderbird add ons to sync both the Exchange Server email and calendar data natively. The email sync module is a few dollars which I will happily pay to ensure further development and support. Both modules work great and I am now connected to Exchange Server perfectly with ThunderBird. And you know what? ThunderBird works and feels better than Outlook!

I am slowly moving all my machines to either Zorin or Mint (Depending on Driver support, etc) and going to be moving completely away from Microsoft everything. Microsoft can keep their convoluted key system with their crappy security software that never works.
You are not free form Microsoft yet.
Why starting point of your moving from Microsoft is not Exchange Server? It is Microsoft's too. Probably you believe their Exchange Server is not crappy security software that never works.
Last edited by BigEasy on Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

OH6IH wrote:I'm not sure about Outlook, but if it's possible to add that account to Thunderbird, I should assume that you may drag and drop all outlookmails to your new email-account.
Yes it's possible to add your outlook account to Thunderbird and then move your mails to your new account.
OH6IH wrote: I did not see an answer to your question re. Skype - I have the same need, I want stop using Skype, but still have contact to Skype-users. Have you any suggestion?
linphone.org It's opensource and has clients for Linux desktop and mobile phones
OH6IH

Post by OH6IH »

Thank you !

I have heard/tried the program. Shall take a new look.

Alf :o
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - Outlook mail does work with T/bird

it's a bit tricky to setup & watch the port Nos that you use, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

I too have finally been able to dump microsux. I've been playing with centos over the last couple years trying to accustom myself with linux. Then I tried Mint KDE 64 bit a month ago and still using it. Now installed on all 3 of my machines.. loving it! :mrgreen:
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "OH6IH",
OH6IH wrote:I also try to get free from Microsoft and if possible also from Google, maybe Facebook too.
I'm still using gmail, but want to get rid of it if possible. I have two new email-accounts at my local internetoperator + two old gmail accounts. I may handle all accounts within Thunderbird. I'm not sure about Outlook, but if it's possible to add that account to Thunderbird, I should assume that you may drag and drop all outlookmails to your new email-account.
Thunderbird is great, and can easily handle multiple email accounts from various email hosts, including gmail, outlook, your local Internet providers, etc..., and it can import all outlook messages as well.

Why would you want to get rid of all your Google Gmail accounts? Having at least one Google mail account gives you access to all their other excellent integrated services, and it is a great mail service. There is a good new post in the forum on "Do you prefer Webmail or a Desktop client", that you might want to read.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=217557
OH6IH wrote:I did not see an answer to your question re. Skype - I have the same need, I want stop using Skype, but still have contact to Skype-users. Have you any suggestion?
There are some very good secure alternatives to Skype, which I would highly recommend that you and anyone you know switch too. "Qtox" (qTox), "Jitsi", Ekiga, Linphone, etc... See links in posts below.

As of 02-08-2016, there is this:
T9000 Skype backdoor malware steals audio, video, chats, screenshots, documents
http://www.networkworld.com/article/303 ... ments.html

New Malware Targets Skype Users, Saves Screenshots, Records Conversations.
"The internet is abuzz with news about a new backdoor Trojan that is equipped with such advanced features that it can steal files, capture screenshots and record Skype conversations."
https://www.hackread.com/skype-malware- ... ersations/
Skype security and privacy concerns
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=210022&hilit=skype

Re: Do you think MS will ever nix Skype for Linux?
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=205651&hilit=skype

OH6IH wrote:I also should like to stop using Google Chrome for films/videos that need Silverlight or something similar (Moonlight?). Example: http://www.katsomo.fi/#!/jakso/567433?toista
You can use one or more of the excellent multi-media servers players, like "Kodi (xbmc)", Plex Home Theater, Showtime, Navi-x (naviextreme), etc... to watch videos and or TV stations, not to mention play and "stream" any of your own multimedia files to anywhere in your place and to any smart device. If you want to watch video or TV stations from outside your country, then you might want to get a good VPN provider to unblock the ridiculous "geo-blocking" that some countries are imposing.

The Ultimate Guide to Watching Online TV with Private Internet Access (VPN)
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-ultima ... et-access/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
stargazerpjs

Post by stargazerpjs »

Seems allot of people starting to make the leap away from Mircosoft, I have started down that path too, sadly I have a windows phoneso not quite free yet. But I am working on being free from Google too. Linux come far enough that this should be possible for me.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

If you want to step away from Google, i'd give DuckDuckGo a look, you can use it in a number of ways, via an add-on for Firefox/Chrome or just set up it's main search page as a bookmark etc, info here:

https://duckduckgo.com/
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Return to “Software & Applications”