Latest version of ntfs-3g

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Latest version of ntfs-3g

Post by eldiener »

Has anyone managed to build or package the latest version of ntfs-3g from Tuxera for Mint Cinnamon 17.3 ? The version which now exists in Mint Cinnamon 17.3 is two versions back from the latest, and I do realize it is the version in Ubuntu 14.0.4 upon which 17.3 is based. It appears to be working fine but I am concerned that there are a number of issues fixed in the last two releases of ntfs-3g, and naturally I would like to have those fixes in general if I could. Of course I could try to build ntfs-3g from the latest source on the Tuxera site but was wondering if anyone else had tried and succeeded in doing so already. Naturally I also do not want to break compatibility with any software which relies on the version of ntfs-3g which currently exists in Mint Cinnamon 17.3.

I multi-boot into other Linux distros besides Mint and while not all of the others have the latest release of ntfs-3g, none of the others are more than one release back from the latest release. So it would be nice if I could update Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Latest version of ntfs-3g

Post by Flemur »

Has anyone managed to build or package the latest version of ntfs-3g from Tuxera for Mint Cinnamon 17.3 ?
Yes, a few months ago. It actually allowed regular users to mount an NTFS partition, as advertised by Tuxera**, on a Mint (13? 17?) install, didn't work on a Ubuntu install (or vice-versa ?)...then it started acting like the regular ntfs-3g after another compile/install (no user mounting, which as far as I'm concerned is a bug*). No problems with it except that it worked just like the version from the repos. Haven't messed with it since.

If you install from their source and don't like it, just reinstall the ntfs-3g stuff from the repos.

*This stupid message when mounting an NTFS partition:
"Mount is denied because setuid and setgid root ntfs-3g is insecure with the external FUSE library. Either remove the setuid/setgid bit from the binary or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated FUSE support and make it setuid root.
Please see more information at
** http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged"

Edit: I just tried it again - still doesn't work, but I get different error messages:

Code: Select all

Error opening '/dev/sda9': Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/sda9': Permission denied
Please check '/dev/sda9' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,
and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at
http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged
Mounting as root works fine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
eldiener
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eldiener »

Flemur wrote:
Has anyone managed to build or package the latest version of ntfs-3g from Tuxera for Mint Cinnamon 17.3 ?
Yes, a few months ago. It actually allowed regular users to mount an NTFS partition, as advertised by Tuxera**, on a Mint (13? 17?) install, didn't work on a Ubuntu install (or vice-versa ?)...then it started acting like the regular ntfs-3g after another compile/install (no user mounting, which as far as I'm concerned is a bug*). No problems with it except that it worked just like the version from the repos. Haven't messed with it since.

If you install from their source and don't like it, just reinstall the ntfs-3g stuff from the repos.

*This stupid message when mounting an NTFS partition:
"Mount is denied because setuid and setgid root ntfs-3g is insecure with the external FUSE library. Either remove the setuid/setgid bit from the binary or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated FUSE support and make it setuid root.
Please see more information at
** http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged"

Edit: I just tried it again - still doesn't work, but I get different error messages:

Code: Select all

Error opening '/dev/sda9': Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/sda9': Permission denied
Please check '/dev/sda9' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,
and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at
http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/#unprivileged
Mounting as root works fine.
Thanks ! I will try building from source. Currently I am using the version that comes with 17.3. I have added a line to /etc/fstab for an NTFS partition where I share files between Windows and Mint. Of course I need to sudo as root in order to update /etc/fstab, but everything has been working fine with the driver. I just want to use the latest ntfs-3g if possible.
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

Is Linux Mint 18.3 using the latest NTFS-3G?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Royi wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 am Is Linux Mint 18.3 using the latest NTFS-3G?
If you have a question, please start a new thread and don't hijack someone else's.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

catweazel wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am
Royi wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 am Is Linux Mint 18.3 using the latest NTFS-3G?
If you have a question, please start a new thread and don't hijack someone else's.
I'm not hijacking.
It is a discussion about the latest version of NTFS-3G.
Why scatter information elsewhere?

This is what I got when I searched for it.
So if we write the answer the next one will be able ot see it here instead of opening new thread and adding noise to searches.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Royi wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:56 am
catweazel wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:51 am
I'm not hijacking.
Please read the forum rules. This sub forum isn't a chat forum.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

2] New Questions Deserve New Topics

Do not add new questions to existing topics, start your own instead!

Do not resurrect support topics older than 6 months
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The current version of ntfs-3g on Mint 18.3 is https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nt ... 1ubuntu0.1

Return to “Software & Applications”