Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
catch22
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Update Manager keeps complaining

Post by catch22 »

For several days already the Update Manager-icon shows something is wrong.
When I open it I see:

Code: Select all

The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

Code: Select all

Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
After clicking Refresh, it says the system is up to date, and the icon looks positive again.
I thought I might fix it with an update in the terminal, but there I get the same messages.

Also, and I mention it because I presume this may be a result of the problem described above, in Firefox any Google-tabs that are open keep twirling their icon (G+, Gmail, Gcal...)

Any ideas how to fix it, please?

PS If I remember well, the trouble started after I had some conflict messages about the Vivaldi browser package.
I understood I had stuff for 64- as well as 32-bit, and thus deleted some stuff from the sources in Update manager.
Last edited by catch22 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shryp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Update Manager keeps complaining

Post by Shryp »

This is an error that everyone is getting since Google dropped support for 32 bit Chrome browser. You will get the error even if you are using the 64 bit version. There is a quick fix going around (adding [arch=amd64]) to the address, but apparently there is a script that overwrites that fix every 24 hours.
catch22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by catch22 »

Shryp wrote:This is an error that everyone is getting since Google dropped support for 32 bit Chrome browser. You will get the error even if you are using the 64 bit version. There is a quick fix going around (adding [arch=amd64]) to the address, but apparently there is a script that overwrites that fix every 24 hours.
What? Everyone? I had no idea; thank you Shryp.
So I assume the annoying messages that keep me looking at what's going on in the Update Manager will be gone after I completely remove chrome?
No problem - dumping chrome from this machine in a minute :!:
preacher_d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by preacher_d »

there is my problem too. Have any sollution?
Attachments
error.png
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Please look here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=217783
Everything is explained.

Full story here: viewtopic.php?f=143&t=214847
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
catch22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Update Manager keeps complaining

Post by catch22 »

From the first post:
... in Firefox any Google-tabs that are open keep twirling their icon (G+, Gmail, Gcal...)
After resolving the chrome problem by uninstalling it and replacing it with chromium, this twirling is still happening in Firefox, so it is not related to the chrome-issue is my guess now. Am I right? (if confirmed by anyone, I'll make a new post for this of course).
The twirling is happening every time I open Firefox, and continues till I click Reload on each of those 3 tabs.

Return to “Software & Applications”