Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Close Unresponsive Programs

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:43 pm

all41, that did the trick. I did the same thing by right-clicking on the desktop but that didn't do it. Go figure. So Mate is now ready to go. I'll be putting it on a friend's computer next week and that will be good for him to have. Thank you.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi "rgand", and Everyone Else,

I just re-read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) The wonderful "Cairo Dock" also has an option for closing programs.

2.) Thanks "Pjotr" for your reply and the link. I too would like to change the "kill unresponsive" icon (or cursor image), and the "delete" permanently icons, to something more entertaining. The "Pirate Skull and Crossbones" seems appropriate.

If you Google search "images" for "Pirate Skull and Crossbones", or "Pirate Skull and Crossbones icons", anyone can find numerous really great images in black and white, or color. I prefer color, but it is easy to convert any color image to black and white or greyscale. You can use almost any image editor (Gimp, Inkscape(vector), KolourPaint) or an icon editor (KIconEdit) to resize and or convert any of these images into an icon of various sizes and shapes for use with customizing this.

You can use a circular, square, or rectangular selection tool to extract a portion of any image as well. Vector Images can easily be resized without a loss in quality. The icon image that user "Pjotr" linked to is 12x12 pixels. There are various standard icon sizes for various purposes in various formats (png (most common in Linux?), ico, svg, jpg, svgz) and pixel sizes: 12x12, 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128, etc...

Google Search in "images" for "pirate skull and crossbones icon"
https://www.google.com/search?q=pirate+ ... 91&bih=555

Displaying 746 free vector graphics matching skull and crossbones, and 17 premium results
http://www.vecteezy.com/free-vector/sku ... crossbones

cliparti1_pirates-clip-art_05.jpg
PirateSkull1.jpeg
PirateSkull1.jpeg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 477 times
pirate-skull-emblem-vector.jpg
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks for the reply, phd21. There are some very cool images, your second one being particularly good. I may have to think about reducing that one to perhaps 24x24 and trying it.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi "rgand",

You are welcome.

In the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), there are icon editors, like "KIconEdit", that would make this really easy to do. I could have easily resized, or scaled, the image in any image editor to the correct size, but when dealing with really small images, like icons, using an Icon Editor is very convenient. If the image happens to be much larger than a normal icon size, then it would help to resize (or scale) the image to a smaller size before using an icon editor.

I took the first image, and used "KolourPaint" to resize using "smooth scaling" to reduce it to 64x60 and save it as a ".png" file. Then, I brought up "KiconEdit" just to see how that works, see the screen shots below. The icon you liked is the 3rd image below in 24x24 pixel icon format (24x21).
"KIconEdit" on first PirateSkull Image in color
"KIconEdit" on first PirateSkull Image in color
"KIconEdit" on first PirateSkull Image in "greyscale" black and white.
"KIconEdit" on first PirateSkull Image in "greyscale" black and white.
PirateSkull1 24x21 for 24x24 icons
PirateSkull1 24x21 for 24x24 icons
pirateskull1_24x21.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 463 times

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks, phd21. It looks like I'll have to install KIconEdit. It will be a good addition.

EDIT: When I pulled it up to install, the description says KIconEdit is for KDE. Does that mean it won't work in cinnamon?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi "rgand",

You are welcome.

I created the icon for you in my previous reply, just right click it, and "save image as".

If you are not using Linux Mint KDE, and want to be able to run some very high quality KDE applications,
then install these few programs below in the quote box in blue, which are perfectly safe for any edition of Linux mint.
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (like Okular, Gwenview, KStars, kdenlive, "K3b", etc...)
run the following command from your console terminal prompt: (you can copy & paste it too)
sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins

Depending on your setup, you might also need to install "KDE-runtime" as well.
If you want to use "Kmail", and or "Korganizer", and or Kontacts, and or "Kalarm", then you will probably have to also install "kdepim".

Hope this helps ...

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:14 pm

That sounds like a good workaround, phd21. I may do that. Am I correct in assuming that this will work in Mate as well?

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:30 pm

rgand wrote:all41, that did the trick. I did the same thing by right-clicking on the desktop but that didn't do it. Go figure. So Mate is now ready to go. I'll be putting it on a friend's computer next week and that will be good for him to have. Thank you.
Great rgand. For your Mate--in the rare occasion of no access the panel to get at the launcher
I use this Keybord Shortcut:
xkill keyboard shortcut.png
The best part is rarely needing to use xkill

You can cancel xkill via right click anywhere.

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. I made a custom shortcut with Super-X as the binding. Of course as you pointed out, you seldom need to use it. I've been using Linux for the better part of a year and only needed it once the other day. Now I'll be trolling for something to lock up. :mrgreen:

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi "rgand",
rgand wrote:That sounds like a good workaround, phd21. I may do that. Am I correct in assuming that this will work in Mate as well?
You may be able to install and run "KiconEdit" without installing any of the other KDE Dependencies. The quote on installing the "KDE dependencies" is mostly from the Linux Mint release notes for any edition of Linux Mint to run KDE programs. I do not know if those instructions should be called a work around, or just requirements.

Hope this helps ...

rgand
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rgand » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Thanks, phd21. I can always install KIconEdit and see if it works without the other stuff.

Return to “Software & Applications”