Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
trippin
Level 3
Level 3

Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE

Post by trippin »

Right now I am locked out of my computer un able to log in and I am furious.. I installed clem something player today (sorry I dont know how to spell it as im locked out) and I really enjoyed it untill I noticed I no longer was able to open sound settings and bluetooth settings on the panel. So I decided to restart my machine not knowing this maybe the last time I log in.

I type in my password and it quickly goes to a blackscreen that says Linux Mint tty or something and then it returns to the login. This is outragous and I am really upset.

If a mod or someone sees this could they please try and get me some help as I dont know what to do or who to go to.
Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE

Post by Ark987 »

Press the combination key: Ctrl + Alt + F1
Type your username + ENTER
Type your password + ENTER

Find out what was the last thing that you've installed (type the command):

Code: Select all

grep install /var/log/dpkg.log
Be ready to master the command-line your new journey awaits. Try to remember exactly what you did, computers do exactly as you instruct them even if it means to jump off a cliff without a parachute.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

You probably installed clementine--fits the description of a media player that begins with "clem." :)
In addition to Ark987's commands, it'd be useful to get as much info as possible.

Please run the following commands:

inxi -Fxzd | pastebin
Actually, why don't we modify Ark's command so you only have to paste a link back:

grep install /var/log/dpkg.log | pastebin
After booting, do you see the normal login screen?

Is this on the same machine that had the sd card troubles?

Do you have a backup? :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
trippin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by trippin »

The links its giving me say not found when I try to go to them is this because im not connected to the internet? another extremely irritating thing iv been dealing with is for whatever reason my machine loses connection so often I sometimes cant do anything before I have to turn the network connection on and on at the bottom right. I dont know how im going to possibly do that thru the terminal

Yes this is the same machine, I do have almost everything saved but reinstalling is not an option id spend money to avoid doing that as I just did a reinstall and have spent pretty much the last month getting it the way it was. I also have tons of things I dont have backed up that I wouldnt mind not having to rewrite such as a huge c# project iv been spending all night everynight working on which inside a vm. This is really bothersome I hope others arent having the same problem.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Then the first thing I would try is booting from a live USB or DVD and securing your files.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trippin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by trippin »

M0em wrote:Then the first thing I would try is booting from a live USB or DVD and securing your files.
I read something about that. Could you explain abit about what that would look like? I have an old cinnamon dvd that I use to reinstall.

Also could I copy a vm to a usb?
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Well, since you know how to install from a DVD, you know how to boot from a DVD. So then, once you are booted, you can browse around for the important files that you don't want to lose, and move them to a USB drive.

I have no experience with virtual machines, sorry.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

You'll need a live disk, and a spare thumb drive/external hdd big enough to hold your home partition. And yes, you can copy a VM file. :)

But first, why don't you boot that live disk and run

lsblk
?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
trippin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by trippin »

I wont be able to fit the entire home folder so what should i save if i want to keep my vms and all the stuff from the software manager i have?

NAME                                                 MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                    8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk  
├─sda1                                                 8:1    0   243M  0 part  /media/min
├─sda2                                                 8:2    0     1K  0 part  
└─sda5                                                 8:5    0 465.5G  0 part  
  └─luks-a065c6c1-a68d-4a70-aac9-d4f30c4d1830 (dm-0) 252:0    0 465.5G  0 crypt 
    ├─mint--vg-root (dm-1)                           252:1    0   458G  0 lvm   /media/min
    └─mint--vg-swap_1 (dm-2)                         252:2    0   7.5G  0 lvm   
sdc                                                    8:32   1    60G  0 disk  
└─sdc1                                                 8:33   1    60G  0 part  /media/min
sr0                                                   11:0    1   1.5G  0 rom   /cdrom
loop0                                                  7:0    0   1.4G  1 loop  /rofs
Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

trippin wrote:... what should i save if i want to keep my vms ...
Which software where you using for the virtual machines? Basically you need to copy the virtual disks and configuration, for example in Virtual Box:
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10. ... configdata you have to hunt down a folder with the name of VirtualBox in your home directory.

For the packages... there is a GUI tool in Mint but of course you cannot login... it should be possible from the command line while booting into your installation instead.

Remember that all your log files are in /var/log/ you should start reading them to investigate why the login manager is not letting you in. Since you are programming in C# I assume that you already know that you cannot troubleshoot without logging information.

Mint uses MDM DISPLAY MANAGER for the logging screen, you should start there, then figure our what exactly you've installed and if is the reason of such errors.
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

trippin wrote:The links its giving me say not found when I try to go to them is this because im not connected to the internet?
Yes, pastebin requires the internet. Forget those for now. Sorry Fred.
Have you?
Ark987 wrote:Press the combination key: Ctrl + Alt + F1
Did you? Sorry if I missed it.
trippin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by trippin »

Habitual wrote:
trippin wrote:The links its giving me say not found when I try to go to them is this because im not connected to the internet?
Yes, pastebin requires the internet. Forget those for now. Sorry Fred.
Have you?
Ark987 wrote:Press the combination key: Ctrl + Alt + F1
Did you? Sorry if I missed it.
Yea I tried that, I ended up getting almost everything I wanted on a couple usbs and did a reinstall when I got a bunch of the trypical garbage problems ive been experiencing I got frusterated so decided to make an arch live usb. and like an idiot right i went over my main back up and lost everything. All my hard work over the last few months, tons of pictures, all my music and movies ect ect. gone. I tried to recover it with foremost but had no luck and from what iv been told i will never get back the files I lost. All because I installed something in the software center. Not really happy right now.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Oh man, that hurts! :(
If it's not too painful, why not make a list of everything you think you did wrong? It'll not be a lot of fun now, but it might save you some frustration in the future.
For example--Arch requires a lot of reading plus a tad more experience. ;)

You are the absolute first person I've heard of having this sort of trouble with clementine, so I wouldn't place the blame there (yet).

Give me a rundown on what usb sticks you've used and what you've done to each one. We might be able to get some of your pictures back with recoverjpeg.
- Albert Einstein
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

trippin:

Well, if you could have logged in, much if not all of it could have been dealt with less severely.
You're moving too fast for my taste.

Fred:
He blames clementine.
never say 'never'...
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Habitual wrote:Yes, pastebin requires the internet. Forget those for now. Sorry Fred.

Forgot to say that if I log into a console, I have internet access (even if I haven't logged into the DE). It's always worked that way for me--Debian, LMDE, Manjaro... Maybe Mint is different?
- Albert Einstein
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Habitual wrote:Yes, pastebin requires the internet. Forget those for now. Sorry Fred.

Forgot to say that if I log into a console, I have internet access (even if I haven't logged into the DE). It's always worked that way for me--Debian, LMDE, Manjaro... Maybe Mint is different?
No. Console is usually internet connected. But he said
trippin wrote:I try to go to them is this because im not connected to the internet?
so, I assumed <cough> that they were not created.

The guy just wants to login..."returns to the login"
Screen flash and return to login sounds familiar, but I've never experienced it or troubleshot
the issue.
Add Sound,
Add Bluetooth,
Add questionable internet,
Add backups,
Add LiveCD,

All he thinks happened is he installed clementine.

Maybe I don't have enough caffeine?

Peace.
marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marlenejo »

Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to barge in here, yelling in this forum with a deceiving message title. You screwed up by doing an installation where you have no clue of what you're doing. You didn't backup all your stuff. This is all your fault. Nothing to do with Mint. So take it as a lesson. Make an image of your main partition once in a while or at important milestone with clonezilla or macrium reflect. You will be back up in 5 minutes.
Linux Mint Cinnamon, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Seagate + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A.
Ark987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ark987 »

trippin wrote: Yea I tried that, I ended up getting almost everything I wanted on a couple usbs and did a reinstall when I got a bunch of the trypical garbage problems ive been experiencing I got frusterated so decided to make an arch live usb. and like an idiot right i went over my main back up and lost everything. All my hard work over the last few months, tons of pictures, all my music and movies ect ect. gone. I tried to recover it with foremost but had no luck and from what iv been told i will never get back the files I lost. All because I installed something in the software center. Not really happy right now.
Why make an Arch live usb when you already had a Mint Cinnamon DVD? Maybe you can learn a thing or two from Arch:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

The things that we know so far:
  • Apparently your X server is being restarted right after you login
  • You can login into the terminal
  • You installed Mint in one single encrypted root partition (that includes your /home folder)
  • Apparently you just wiped that partition already
This can be an opportunity for improvement. Learn how to properly manage virtual machines, take regular backups of your data and VMs, don't experiment in your work machine and maybe use a separate /home partition.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

marlenejo wrote:Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE to barge in here, yelling in this forum with a deceiving message title.
Easy there, mate. :mrgreen: Of course the OP made several mistakes that you or I or any member with more experience would know better of, but let's not rub his face in it. :)
- Albert Einstein
slc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by slc »

OH MY GOSH... I FELT YOUR PAIN when you said you lost your data, which WAS your BU on the thumb drive ...
I understand where you came from as I have had many :oops: encounters as I struggled to make my XP work as I wanted it to and Yes, I wiped a disk or two :oops: DAMN!!! Been there Done that! !

Now this was before the days of having an OpSys on a bootable DVD so going back in, couldn't happen.

I am a newbie but if it is the only thing that I will be able to talk about intelligently on this forum is how to try to keep a back up of your valuable files. Yes it is a Pain to stop and backup after a session or even once a week but after you have a machine crash, as I have had with viral infected XP, You will do more smiling than being shocked...

From what I read you were doing the right steps, you made a backup, something you should have done right along, SEE I LEARNED TOO :oops: , but I also suggest making two back ups, and back up to them alternately, say one on monday, the other on Thursday. Hardware has its life cycle too, even thumb drives and when they go, they are unrecoverable. Having that second back will save your back side, I mean DATA with limited loss...

With my experience of having to fight the viral attacks and eventually finding a way to prevent it, I also changed the way I saved my data. I don't save ANYTHING permanently on the hard drive other than the OPERATING SYSTEM and some programs. All DATA FILES, PICs, BACK UP PROGRAMS are on USB hard drives. I have two for each use, drive #1 and drive #2. I alternately save to these drives and when running the computer, one drive is being used.. My advice is NEVER TRUST THE HARD DRIVE ON THE COMPUTER. It is subjected to extreme use and they have a limited life as well, and don't forget viral attacks, OH, I am thinking Windoze again, my bad. If you must use the onboard hard drive, I would back up to a back up drive every session. I just don't trust the onboard drive anymore...

I can tell stories about losing stuff....hmmmm.. before I mastered the art of making backups... Sorry to hear about your loss, even if you can retrieve some of the lost data, I know you are in for hours of work, BEEN THERE TOO!!!! GOOD LUCK ! ! !

160326 1252slc

Return to “Software & Applications”