Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Where is update manager

Post by beacon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:21 pm

I am using Linux Mint 17.3. After installation, there was always an icon on the task bar letting me know when updates were available.Then it suddenly disappeared, and I can't find the update manager in the menu. I have tried using the command line but may be using the wrong commands. The software manager indicates that Mintupdate is installed, but I can't find it.

I'd be grateful for help.

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Where is update manager

Post by cholq » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:26 pm

Which desktop are you using? I'm using Mate and I see it under the Administration section of the main menu. But, if you give more info people should be able to help you get your update notification back on teh task bar.

beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I have the cinnamon desktop.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:01 pm

Can you call it up from the menu?
Did you maybe set it to show the icon only when there are updates to download?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

George99
Level 3
Level 3

Post by George99 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:03 pm

Start Update Manager from the menu und check preferences -> options.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:09 pm

You can start it in a terminal by entering:

Code: Select all

mintupdate
It should be a default Startup Application in Settings

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:46 pm

The starting post sounds, as if the tray applet has been removed. Right click an empty space in the panel, select the command to add an applet and add it to the pane again.

Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:11 pm

Unless you have uninstalled Update Manager, it's in Menu>Administration, just under System Monitor. If you have uninstalled it, which is an option, it's in Software Manager and called "mintupdate". Look there anyway. The icon will have a tick on it if it still exists in your system; install it if it does not have a tick. Nothing bad will happen if you try to install it twice.

Alternatively to Cosmo's suggestion, right-click the entry in the Menu to find an option to Add To Panel.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Where is update manager (SOLVED)

Post by beacon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:28 am

Thanks for all the useful replies. I am grateful.

I have solved the problem by the suggestion that I type mintupdate in the terminal. I had tried something like that, but may have issued a more complex direction or added something like apt-get.

Some of the other suggestions I had tried but without success. As I said initially, there is no reference in the menu to update or mint update. Moreover, there is no 'Administration' label in the menu.

I had looked before at the startup applications but hadn't seen a reference to update. I returned to it after your help and ticked 'system tray' which seems to have done the job.

thanks again.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:02 am

Removing the system tray applet in LM 17.3 Cinnamon can happen rather easily unintended, because of the new indicator support feature. You can disable this feature in the general settings of Cinnamon. I suggest to do this to make the problem reappear again. Also the indicator feature breaks the functionality of the tray icon in some programs.

To be honest, until today I got no idea, which enhancement this feature might give; I only found a number of problems.

beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks cosmo. This is not the first time you have helped me. I want to follow up your suggestion that I remove the indicator support feature, but I wonder if you can tell me how to do it.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:41 am

Open the system configuration of Mint Cinnamon and open the general settings (name is language dependent). You find this setting as the second option from the bottom.
Note that you have to restart Cinnamon after the change: Press ctrl-alt-esc and wait a few seconds.

beacon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by beacon » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:45 am

Thanks again for your help, cosmo.

Return to “Software & Applications”