Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GreenFrog
Level 1
Level 1

LM 17.3 : computer freezes in screen saver mode

Post by GreenFrog »

Hi,

Few weeks ago I installed LM 17.3 for the first time. I am happy with it. I'd like to solve this problem: when the screen saver mode is active, the computer freezes (no active keyboard, no active mouse, blank screen). What I have done so far:
1. Set the screen saver to 'blank screen': I could not find it so I set it to the default 'screen locker mode' screen
2. Disable hibernation
3. Disable suspend
4. Update kernel to 3.19.0-56-generic
with no success at all.

To avoid freezes here is what I do:
Go to menu -> Power Management: 'Turn off the screen when inactive for' toggle to 'Never'

What I'd like is to be able to use the screen saver mode... Any idea?

Here are the features:

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 3.19.0-56-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170-P D3 v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0221 date: 07/17/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3501 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tobago PRO [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151
Thank you for your help.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM 17.3 : computer freezes in screen saver mode

Post by amethyst_igor »

GreenFrog wrote:Hi,

Few weeks ago I installed LM 17.3 for the first time. I am happy with it. I'd like to solve this problem: when the screen saver mode is active, the computer freezes (no active keyboard, no active mouse, blank screen). What I have done so far:
1. Set the screen saver to 'blank screen': I could not find it so I set it to the default 'screen locker mode' screen
2. Disable hibernation
3. Disable suspend
4. Update kernel to 3.19.0-56-generic
with no success at all.

To avoid freezes here is what I do:
Go to menu -> Power Management: 'Turn off the screen when inactive for' toggle to 'Never'

What I'd like is to be able to use the screen saver mode... Any idea?

Here are the features:

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 3.19.0-56-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z170-P D3 v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0221 date: 07/17/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-6600K (-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3501 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Tobago PRO [Radeon R7 360 / R9 360 OEM]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon R7 360 Series GLX Version: 4.5.13399 - CPC 15.201.1151
Thank you for your help.
What really stands out for me in your message is one word, fglrx. That brings up something I like to avoid, AMD/ATI cards. However, the good news is there are plenty of AMD users around, and they share information and techniques on getting things going in Linux. I recommend bookmarking and frequently referring to the Linux Bible of fglrx here. Information found there will likely guide you in the right direction. ArchLinux has one truly awesome thing, online documentation, which is the best and most up-to-date in the Linux world, so much so that I coded a search engine just for their wiki, so I can refer to it from my home page. Yes, the ArchLinux wiki can help you fix any Linux distro, as long as you remember their world is just a little bit different from our world. A lot applies. Their wiki is better in most cases than Ubuntu's or any other distro. I think it's because they have an army of tinkerers who truly love documentation.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

GreenFrog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GreenFrog »

Thank you for your answer. I'll look at it.

Currently, I can turn off the screens :D ... Anyway, it appears the monitors have got their own power saving mode. So, when they are inactive they turn off by themselves after an hour or so...

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor »

GreenFrog wrote:Thank you for your answer. I'll look at it.

Currently, I can turn off the screens :D ... Anyway, it appears the monitors have got their own power saving mode. So, when they are inactive they turn off by themselves after an hour or so...
Most monitors do nowadaze... it's a good thing, considering how many monitors there are.

Another option you might look into it is selling your AMD/ATI problem on Ebay for some Windows user, a gamer or whatever. That's what I did. Your Intel cpu seems recent and, I bet, will support multiple monitors on its own as long as the motherboard has connections for them. I've forgotten all the lore I used to know about AMD/ATI and don't plan to learn it again. Ebay is a wonderful tool and can improve your Linux system.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

GreenFrog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GreenFrog »

Thank you for your advice. :lol:

GreenFrog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GreenFrog »

Finally I got rid of the video card. Dual screens on an Asus Z170-P D3 motherboard are perfect for what I do.

Return to “Software & Applications”