Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ShadowMist9
Level 1
Level 1

How to restore Volume and Network Manager icons

Post by ShadowMist9 »

Hello

I'm fairly new to Linux and need help to restore or reinstate the Volume Control and Network Manager icons to my panel. They disappeared when I deleted a dead Dropbox icon and I can't see any way to get them back again.

I'm running Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE 32-bit. I'm not the most tech-savvy individual so please explain in simple language.

Thanks for your assistance

ShadowMist

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How to restore Volume and Network Manager icons

Post by amethyst_igor »

ShadowMist9 wrote:Hello

I'm fairly new to Linux and need help to restore or reinstate the Volume Control and Network Manager icons to my panel. They disappeared when I deleted a dead Dropbox icon and I can't see any way to get them back again.

I'm running Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE 32-bit. I'm not the most tech-savvy individual so please explain in simple language.

Thanks for your assistance

ShadowMist
First of all, congrats on going with one of my top two choices, Linux Mint XFCE. I love that and Linux Mint Cinnamon. Each one is awesome in its own way, and I can't figure out which I like best. I will say that XFCE seems more stable.

So this one's easy. Click on the LM start button. Go to All. Scroll down until you find Volume Control. Right-click. Add to Panel. Done. Then do the same for Network Manager. Now that you have learned that trick, for extra credit, add some more shortcuts to your panel and/or desktop, if you think it will save you time.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

ShadowMist9
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to restore Volume and Network Manager icons

Post by ShadowMist9 »

Thank you so much! That was so simple. I'd muted my volume when it disappeared so I'm particularly pleased to get my sound back.

I do have a bit of a problem with the Network Manager, though, in that I no longer have the 'pan-pipes' that tell me how strong my wireless signal is. But if I have to live without that, so be it.

I chose XFCE because I have a couple of ageing netbooks which were struggling with Windows 7 and certainly wouldn't have coped with W-10 ... which I really don't like the sound of in any case. I'm thinking of installing Cinnamon on a more powerful laptop so was surprised to hear that you think XFCE is more stable?

Anyway, thanks again.

ShadowMist

ShadowMist9
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved]How to restore Volume and Network Manager icons

Post by ShadowMist9 »

Realised what I needed was the Indicator Plugin! Now restored

Shadow

Return to “Software & Applications”